Social chameleon?

Emilyycalee

Hello all!
I have a about 1 1/2 year old male panther chameleon who ever since he was about one would sit and claw at the acrylic door. So after a few weeks I got him a 6 ft tall tree for him to hangout in outside of his cage. He loves it so much and doesn’t claw at the glass anymore. However whenever he is on the tree he is always trying to get to me, whether I get close to the tree or getting him on the tree. To some this is probably no big deal but I got a chameleon thinking it didn’t need to be held and handled often like that. You would think maybe it’s to get to a higher point but his tree is much taller than me. It’s not really a problem but is there a reason he is like this I’m just confused on why he is so adamant on it when they are, from what I’ve seen, not wanting to be near you. He’s very healthy and always bright but he would literally rather look at me than go sit in the sun most of the time. Any input on if this is even worth the post is greatly appreciated lol.

EC3CC181-CAFF-4653-B588-76F87BD675F4.jpeg

Hello all!
I have a about 1 1/2 year old male panther chameleon who ever since he was about one would sit and claw at the acrylic door. So after a few weeks I got him a 6 ft tall tree for him to hangout in outside of his cage. He loves it so much and doesn’t claw at the glass anymore. However whenever he is on the tree he is always trying to get to me, whether I get close to the tree or getting him on the tree. To some this is probably no big deal but I got a chameleon thinking it didn’t need to be held and handled often like that. You would think maybe it’s to get to a higher point but his tree is much taller than me. It’s not really a problem but is there a reason he is like this I’m just confused on why he is so adamant on it when they are, from what I’ve seen, not wanting to be near you. He’s very healthy and always bright but he would literally rather look at me than go sit in the sun most of the time. Any input on if this is even worth the post is greatly appreciated lol.

View attachment 322389
Welcome, I’m not sure why your Cham would always want to be on you but hey I’d enjoy it if I were you!😊

First thing we typically ask for are pictures of the entire enclosure lights down to ensure that everything looks correct. Chams most commonly want out because something is not quite right in their home.

If the enclosure is correct and providing everything needed then yes you may just have a cham that is very tolerant of you and being out of his home.

Secondly since you have him out on a tree. I would ask how much time he spends in the cage with the UVB lighting? This is always a concern if they spend a ton of time away from the cage.

Hello all!
Just OTTOMH.... :unsure:
  1. What's the ambient temperature around the tree, and does he have a place on the tree where he can bask? I'm wondering if he wants to get on you because you're warm(er than being in the tree).
  2. Do you ever hand feed him? Associating you with food is usually a good thing for socialization & trust-building. If he makes that association, he may be thinking if he gets on you he'll get food. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom