Soaking

There is an exotic vet in Orlando that told me that my helmeted chameleon probably passed of kidney failure and that I should have soaked him in water that covered his vent 3x a week. She said that it's "a new study that hasn't hit the forums yet." I asked her for a source and she said she would check but never got back to me. (Note: He received humidity through hand misting and had a fogger and a humidifier at night.)

Is she full of it or is she right? I have Panthers and Jackson's and if I can make their life better, I want to... but I also don't want to stress them for no reason. (I really miss my little buddy and don't want to go through that unnecessarily.)

The soaking procedure she suggested:
* Put down a heating mat
* cover the mat with a towel
*put a bowl of water that is only deep enough to cover the vent on the towel
* once slightly warmed (NOT WARM but lukewarm), place the chameleon inside the water
3x a week

Which vet is it that said that?
Soaking chameleons is very stressful for them and there is always risk of lukewarm water being scalding hot to them. Plus, I doubt that any fluid is absorbed by the cloaca. It’s been proven false in bearded dragons and personally I’ll believe that is the one similarity shared between the two species.

I thought it sounded way off. Thanks for the second opinion!

Dr. Leor Shuflita at Exotic Animal Hospital of Orlando
Dr Santiago at the same clinic is very experienced with chameleons as is Dr Macko, but I’ve no idea yet about Dr Shuflita. If you go back, do press her for the study info. She looks quite young so should be up on all of the latest stuff…but I still wouldn’t soak a chameleon. Instead I would give hornworms or silkworms, extra long mistings, humidity boost at night and if absolutely necessary, oral fluids with a small syringe.

Back
Top Bottom