Soaking a chameleon

Renn

I've read about soaking to help with dehydration. I'm misting our new chameleon 3 times a day and he drinks out of a bowl I offer him, but yesterday he went from doing better to acting like he's going downhill again. Looks dehydrated, he's dry again and isn't as alert. He was just starting to climb a little, but isn't climbing anymore, just hanging out on the bottom, so I put a heating pad under it so he can have some heat. He is eating fine. I moved him onto a cabinet so he wouldn't be in high traffic and so he could be high, he's in front of a window now as well as I heard they like to see outside and the sunlight hits it for maybe an hour in the morning.

I'm soaking him to see if it helps. Just normal water, nothing added, it's warm, but not hot. I have a towel in there for him to hold onto. I have the water deep enough to cover his vent. He's sitting next to me so I can monitor him.

Am I doing it right? How long does he soak for? How many times a day should I do this? I don't have a plant to be able to do the hydration in the shower. He's 5 yrs old, my husband says he's just dying because he's old, he wasn't in the best shape when we got him. We've had him 11 days now and I feel he's at the point where if I don't hydrate him like this we're going to lose him.

kabuki soaking 11 days.jpg

kabuki soaking 2.jpg

He is not going to benefit from soaking. You will probably go more harm than good by stressing him out. They are not aquatic.

tell me how this works out for you, my 9 month old veiled ive had for 5 days isnt looking so good either and im really worried, I also dont have a plant for the shower method...

As Carol said, a soak will not help with dehydration. Chameleon skin does not absorb water and in fact, repels it. The shower method is much better if you are worried about dehydration (and if you don't have a plant, get one or use fake plants). Also, longer in-cage mistings will be beneficial.

Another thing to try is to have a dripper going in the cage. This will give him a constant water source.

He may just be getting old as your husband stated. It sounds like he wasn't well cared for by his previous owner. It's possible the damage has been done. Still, don't give up on him. I think all you can do is follow the care guidelines and make him comfortable. Try to reduce any possible stress and hope that he bounces back.

use something anything doesnt have to be a plant. use your arm. if its any easier use a hose with a nozzle and put it to a mist. I agree dont see how soaking may do a whole lot other than a whole bunch of un-needed stress. I have only seen this come up one other time and person thought bright colours hes enjoying it but in fact it was stressing out.

If you assume hydration to be a huge issue offer soft bodied worms that are loaded will help alot with hydrating mist more. try other solutions. at 5 yrs could be an age thing

I think most research has shown that reptiles don't really absorbe much water through the vent so it isn't a great way to hydrate them. If his skin is dry soaking him might help with that and it's good that he's drinking.
Unfortunately him sitting and tolerating the soaking isn't really good sign most would be quite distressed. I would still try and get a plant and give him a nice long shower seeing the moving water should encourage him to drink.
If you took him to the vet I think they could inject some fluids into him to perk him up.
He is old now and you have rescued him from a bad home so you're husband might be right unfortunately the bad care might just have taken it's toll. Eating is always a good sign so I wouldn't give up on him myself, but I wouldn't get my hopes up either.
I wouldn't shower or soak him too often just becuase even though he might not seem to show it because he's so weak I would think it actually does stress him out. I would try just leaving him alone most of the time if you can, just make sure you keep him well misted and keep offering food. I've heard of some people actually injecting feeders with water you could try this although I'm not really sure how it's done.

Thank you for the replies. He did actually seem to be feeling better, as he was drinking in it. After a while he was less lethargic and wanted out, like immediately, poor guy.

I don't think I'll do it again as I don't want to stress him. He was basking, now he's back laying on the floor on his belly with his legs out...I don't think it's a good sign. :(

I think the damage has been done before we got him. I'm so sad, I want him to pull through but I'm also trying to be realistic and as someone who works in the vet profession he doesn't look well.

kabuki 11 days.jpg

I have had reptile vets state that they can absorb a large amount of water through their vent. Dr O has often mentioned on this forum that soaking to rehydrate does work and that the intake through their vent is more than you would think.

dont know if you have in the past but im surprised no ones mentioned this yet. fill how the how to ask for help sheet so people can get an idea of husbandry and stuff and take it from there i know hes a bit on the older side but some chams well surpass 5 yrs of age and maybe something can be changed to turn it around

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon, maybe 5 years, Male, have had him 11 days

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Way too much probably. We have to carry him home when we got him because he had no carrier and I didn't anticipate having to handle him so much. I've redone his cage so much lately trying to find something he likes that he has been handled a lot.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He's eating crickets and mealworms right now. Haven't been able to find hornworms or silkworms. I don't really have the extensive funds to afford buying them online with shipping.Feeding him every other day, about 10 crickets dusted with calcium.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Been dusting crickets with calcium every meal and with calcium with d3 every 3 feedings. I have been feeding crickets veggies. I don't have special vitamins yet, waiting for payday.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? He has a drip cup above his tank that's over some leaves. I also mist his cage 2-3 times a day for about 5 min - 10 min depending on how dry it is. I have seen him drinking. He also will drink out of a cup if I offer it.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His poop has been normal from what I can tell. First day we got him, we were driving home and I was holding him. He was warming up from the sun in the car, he was freezing and almost listless when we got him, and he pooped ALL OVER me in the car. Lately I've noticed poop, it's white with some brown. No other colors, it's solid, and not runny.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. We got him when we went to resuce some tarantulas. The person was housing him with a crested gecko for the last two years. We had to take the housemate too so they could "live together" so we now have a crested gecko as well. She was housing all her other animals together too. Bearded dragons with geckos, a tarantula with a gecko, etc. He came with an 8 foot repticage but we traded it at our reptile store to get him lights and leaves and a vine and more food.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? It's a 12x12x24 it's weird because the top is screened and the front bottom is screen, but the rest is plexiglass. I know it's small for him, but since he can't move around much and because he's weak and falls I wanted something that I'd be able to contain him better to make it easier for him to move around.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? It's the petsmart brand of coil light, 5.0 uvb. He also has a 75 basking light. I read coils are bad for them so that worries me. He has 12 hours of light and heat.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? His basking is 90-100 degrees, ambient temp is 80, the floor is 70, but right now the very bottom has a heating pad on low since he's on the floor, so some spots are 78. We have a temp gun we use to monitor. Lowest temp at night I've seen has been about 68, we keep our house warm.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Our humidity is about 60%, I'm having a hard time maintaining humidity, it dries pretty fast, I try to soak the cage 2-3 times a day. I'm worried about the basking light shattering when I mist. There's a hydrometer in the cage.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants, was going to get some pothos when I can afford it. He has a vine and some fake plants in there. I keep scott towels on the bottom but may switch back to towels.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It was next to my desk where I have a fan blowing on my laptop so I moved him on top of a cabinet by the front window where the curtain stays closed but I can open it if I want so he can get sun or look outside. He seemed less stressed once I moved him up high because the kids and dogs and high traffic were stressing him i think.

Location - Where are you geographically located? Colorado

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I think he's dying. He seems dehydrated again. He's got that eye tumor that seems to bug him. He's 5 to 6 years maybe? I think the damage is done and he's just in his last days, I'm hoping not. My hope is to make him comfortable so at least if he IS in fact dying he will be comfortable and warm, and not die cold and suffering.

Dr O personally told me that soaking a chameleon can be beneficial for hydration as they soak up a considerable amount of water through their vent. Other posters are right in that they don't absorb water through their skin, but if the vent is submerged then that's adequate. I think you're doing the right thing as long as the Cham isn't too stressed out from it. Check out the barrio question link posted above, that's my post. She explains how to properly do it, but from what your pictures show, you're doing it right.

Interesting! Thanks for posting pigglett. I did not know they could absorb water through the vent. I thought soaking was only recommended for prolapse.

OP, I'm sorry your little guy came from such a horrible situation! I really hope he pulls through, but if not, at least you are giving him good care and doing your best to see that the rest of his days are comfortable.

He's kind of dozing off and on right now. On the floor holding onto a stick. He's bright yellow! I've never seen him look this color.

Definitely too hot for him...I had a 50 watt and he wasn't warm enough, I have a 75 and its too hot! Lol wth.

Thanks for the replies. The soaking seemed to help him...but due to stress I don't think I wanna handle him anymore.

I have had reptile vets state that they can absorb a large amount of water through their vent. Dr O has often mentioned on this forum that soaking to rehydrate does work and that the intake through their vent is more than you would think.
That's what my vet said about soaking today. I literally just had to take my Cham in cuz he wasn't looking too good and they said he's dehydrated, and to soak him. Although they didn't say to fill a bowl up like that. Just enough so the lower part of the body is wet

That's what my vet said about soaking today. I literally just had to take my Cham in cuz he wasn't looking too good and they said he's dehydrated, and to soak him. Although they didn't say to fill a bowl up like that. Just enough so the lower part of the body is wet
That’s probably why your Cham isn’t looking too good, your vet is clueless! Please encourage your vet to either read up on current Cham husbandry or to stop seeing chams. I’m sure they became a vet because they want to help animals but giving uneducated or out dated advice isn’t helping anyone.

....and by the way this thread is from 2014, just like your vets advice.

That’s probably why your Cham isn’t looking too good, your vet is clueless! Please encourage your vet to either read up on current Cham husbandry or to stop seeing chams. I’m sure they became a vet because they want to help animals but giving uneducated or out dated advice isn’t helping anyone.

....and by the way this thread is from 2014, just like your vets advice.

Agreed
And if you look at the last '14 post, sounds like the person's chameleon was dying.

Back
Top Bottom