So the un-thinkable happened

SoCal Soldier

So today my little Kami Veiled died in my hands today. IDK what happened yesterday she was fine and even today, until I saw her.

So first this I saw was her on the ground and saw that she had thrown up a hornworm she ate yesterday. She had her eyes closed, not swollen or sunk in, and just keeping her mouth open. I picked her up carefully and put her on some moist towels and made sure her mouth didn't dry out(saw this on the forum). So she started to look like she was trying to throw-up but was not, and she was pretty puffy, almost like full of air. she did this a couple of times and I knew she was about to die... so I picked her up and held her until she took her last breath with me in my hands. There was no time to get her to the vet she would have died in transit, rather in my hands at home then locked up on the way to the vet.

The thing that puzzles me is she looked like she was full of air, she would open her mouth trying to take a deep breath and then stop but almost not exhale the air out. Maybe the fall might have killed her I was thinking of something internally. Well I did buy her from CL and seemed like they wanted to get rid of her, I guess you get what you pay for... but besides the fact where I bought her I still loved her and spoiled her with everything, sad thing is I was working on a custom cage for her and she didn't get to see it.

PS I am just looking for input on her symptoms, has anyone ever heard of this? thought it was gular edema reading from another post with almost similar symptoms.

It's amazing how they have such big personalities wrapped up in a little package. It leaves a big void when they go. At least she got to finish her time with a family that loved and took good care of her.

So sorry to hear of your loss. I have read many of your posts and questions. I know just like the rest of us you were always trying to do what's right for her. I know when your ready a little Cham will have a good home.

That sucks! Sorry to hear that. I know you were just working on a custom cage for her. :(

Dont stop working on the cage, finish it for another guy/gal!

Very saddened to hear that, SoCal ... They're a lot more than "just a lizard", aren't they?

I hope you find the answers you seek . . . and a place for another chameleon!

I am so sorry for you loss....sending heart felt hugs to you and your wife. I have not lost one of my babies yet but I know my turn will come. their lives are so fragile and short, but they are so much more to us than someone who never had one would understand.

Thank you all, it means a lot but I mean when it is time its time we have no control over that. Yes I do anything for my animals both reptile and dogs, sad to see her go....so today I was just so torn up from it I spent all day out of the house. I just couldn't see an empty cage. But now I am feeling better knowing she is at peace.

So since we got our little Kami we were planning on getting another one maybe panther or nosy. I remember I was in contact with someone who had one for sale(like 3 weeks ago) we put a hold on that due to the construction of the new cage build. Seeing how this played out I said what the heck and jumped the gun and texted to see if he had any males left. He texted back and said yes, so after the drive and traffic and back we have a new baby to our family. :D This little guy will never replace my Kami, but I will still love this guy no less. It is a start and plus its helping my wife with this loss, she was really torn up from this.

Again thank you all for the condolences and support you all rock, I will post pictures up tomorrow.

Take my condolenses! :( This is very sad. Where those hornworms in good conditions? I'm just wondering,couldn't be the worm? Or maybe choke on it?
Unfortunately we have to accept the unthinkable if it is about chameleons...
But I wish you beautiful life with the new baby! :) And show pictures about the new enclosure too! :)

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this. It's esp hard to take when it's so sudden, with no serious illness.
Are you sure she wasn't eggbound?

If I were you, I would get a male cham from one of our trusted sponsors

Thank you all, it means a lot but I mean when it is time its time we have no control over that. Yes I do anything for my animals both reptile and dogs, sad to see her go....so today I was just so torn up from it I spent all day out of the house. I just couldn't see an empty cage. But now I am feeling better knowing she is at peace.

So since we got our little Kami we were planning on getting another one maybe panther or nosy. I remember I was in contact with someone who had one for sale(like 3 weeks ago) we put a hold on that due to the construction of the new cage build. Seeing how this played out I said what the heck and jumped the gun and texted to see if he had any males left. He texted back and said yes, so after the drive and traffic and back we have a new baby to our family. :D This little guy will never replace my Kami, but I will still love this guy no less. It is a start and plus its helping my wife with this loss, she was really torn up from this.

Again thank you all for the condolences and support you all rock, I will post pictures up tomorrow.

I am so sorry for your loss. It could have been something she came to you with if she was not kept in the best circumstances. I still miss my boy Pete: I actually went to a reptile show the day after Pete died, thinking it would cheer me up and it did in a way I had not anticipated. That was the day I got Omar. And now I have two chameleons. If I had the time and money I would fill my house with them cause I think they are so adorable! I could be the crazy cham lady, instead of the crazy cat lady! It helps to fill the void left by Pete and Kami (for your family). Even so you still won't ever forget your first.

So sorry to hear that. Like others have said, you loved her and did right by her, posting and asking on the forums, making sure everything was good.
Congrats on your new one too, would be a waste to not have another one to love and nurture. Kath.

Back
Top Bottom