So, plant cover..

Oh? I thought FLChams were a good place:( and thank you, i won’t bother with the tiny willow branches. How come you reccommend staying away from them?
Use the search function in the forum to look up their name... It will return quite a few threads... I have not personally dealt with them but I know others that have and lets just say you do not want a bad experience with your first cham when your new and know very little.

Use the search function in the forum to look up their name... It will return quite a few threads... I have not personally dealt with them but I know others that have and lets just say you do not want a bad experience with your first cham when your new and know very little.
Thank you! I thought their chams were all healthy and whatnot. I have been researching for a little over a month now (like 4 hours a day at least) and feel as if I still have a very long way to go.

Thank you! I thought their chams were all healthy and whatnot. I have been researching for a little over a month now (like 4 hours a day at least) and feel as if I still have a very long way to go.
I don't like to talk crap since I have not had first hand experience with them. BUT what I can say is if I was going to get a cham they would not be a place I would consider.

I don't like to talk crap since I have not had first hand experience with them. BUT what I can say is if I was going to get a cham they would not be a place I would consider.
Yeah, thank you for telling me to look at the forums. Definetly did have a good rep a few years ago but most recent reviews I have seen have been awful. Hopefully it will stop raining so I can go hunt for more good branches! there is a few manzanita trees that don’t have any bark in a city park near me but I think it’s illegal to harvest them sadly and most of olympia wa is pine trees haha!

I do have babies. But also double check the willow. I remember seeing something where a chameleons feet were torn up from willow that wasn’t dried all the way.
I think it is fine once dried.
I have my babies on my site I am working on as well. Www.caskabove.com

I do have babies. But also double check the willow. I remember seeing something where a chameleons feet were torn up from willow that wasn’t dried all the way.
I think it is fine once dried.
I have my babies on my site I am working on as well. Www.caskabove.com
Thank you so much! I read through your entire website and it was awesome. I would love to throw my money at you for a little guy but I still have to install branches and possibly get a couple more plants, as well as installing the automatic misting system. At that point id like to run everything for at least a few days to ensure that the temperatures and humidity are at an appropriate level. I have an 8.5 inch reflector dome lamp with a 60 watt incandescent bulb and i have a temporary loose branch about 6” below the lamp and its reading ~80, so I have ordered 75w and 100w bulbs (im terrible at using this temp gun, also im sorry that the background is blurry)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 104
I don’t think that grape vine that is peeling and has little strands would be good to put in the cage... right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 103
Thank you so much! I read through your entire website and it was awesome. I would love to throw my money at you for a little guy but I still have to install branches and possibly get a couple more plants, as well as installing the automatic misting system. At that point id like to run everything for at least a few days to ensure that the temperatures and humidity are at an appropriate level. I have an 8.5 inch reflector dome lamp with a 60 watt incandescent bulb and i have a temporary loose branch about 6” below the lamp and its reading ~80, so I have ordered 75w and 100w bulbs (im terrible at using this temp gun, also im sorry that the background is blurry)

Glad you like the sight I am still working on it. I
80 is good, especially for babies.

No worries, I haven't been pushing their sale so no worries.

Don't rely on the temp gun hun. You want a temp gauge with a probe to hook in at the branch below the heat... 60 watt should be able to give you correct temps. It is what I use as well.

Don't rely on the temp gun hun. You want a temp gauge with a probe to hook in at the branch below the heat... 60 watt should be able to give you correct temps. It is what I use as well.
Shoot, i already ordered higher wattage ones. I do have a digital one coming hopefully soon, it has a humidity accuracy of +/- 2 percent and like +/- 4 degrees with the temperature. Are you talking about one like in the photo ive attatched?

Attachments

• 387E029A-ADCC-4B1A-B1DB-11F070BCF0A9.png
    387E029A-ADCC-4B1A-B1DB-11F070BCF0A9.png
    294.2 KB · Views: 110
Shoot, i already ordered higher wattage ones. I do have a digital one coming hopefully soon, it has a humidity accuracy of +/- 2 percent and like +/- 4 degrees with the temperature. Are you talking about one like in the photo ive attatched?
Yes that will be better.
Remember you still want to lift the heat fixture up off the top as well. If they screen climb the top then it is a thermal burn risk.

Yes that will be better.
Remember you still want to lift the heat fixture up off the top as well. If they screen climb the top then it is a thermal burn risk.
Yes I had just realized last night that id probably want my T5HO 24” fixture with an 6% arcadia uvb bulb as well as my basking light to be suspended like, what, 3 or 4 inches above the top of the cage? I don’t have a solarmeter nor $250 to spend so i don’t want my uvb to be too low

Yes I had just realized last night that id probably want my T5HO 24” fixture with an 6% arcadia uvb bulb as well as my basking light to be suspended like, what, 3 or 4 inches above the top of the cage? I don’t have a solarmeter nor $250 to spend so i don’t want my uvb to be too low
So rule of thumb.... If you suspend... Then T5 with a 6% would be four inches off the top... Basking branches would be 5-6 inches below the screen top. Your total distance from the bottom of the fixture to the branches should add up to 9-10 inches. This would then give you an approximate 3 UVI level. Also it then makes the level at the screen if they screen climb within safe limits which is about a 6 UVI level.

You can use a wire rack to sit the whole cage on and then the top shelf your lights sit on top of at the correct distance. This is what Bill Strand does... You can kinda see it in these pics https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/

So rule of thumb.... If you suspend... Then T5 with a 6% would be four inches off the top... Basking branches would be 5-6 inches below the screen top. Your total distance from the bottom of the fixture to the branches should add up to 9-10 inches. This would then give you an approximate 3 UVI level. Also it then makes the level at the screen if they screen climb within safe limits which is about a 6 UVI level.

You can use a wire rack to sit the whole cage on and then the top shelf your lights sit on top of at the correct distance. This is what Bill Strand does... You can kinda see it in these pics https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/
Jesus you are a savior! Thank you so much. I absolutely love chameleon academy but after spending 2 hours reading his modules a lot of the info is piled up in my head haha! Im going to get a probed thermometer today as well as looking for dogwood/oak trees. Thank you a bunch again!!! Will post more photos as its coming along :)

Jesus you are a savior! Thank you so much. I absolutely love chameleon academy but after spending 2 hours reading his modules a lot of the info is piled up in my head haha! Im going to get a probed thermometer today as well as looking for dogwood/oak trees. Thank you a bunch again!!! Will post more photos as its coming along :)
LOL your welcome. He has a like to the wire racks he uses here... https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/

LOL your welcome. He has a like to the wire racks he uses here... https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/
Bless. Thats the other thing- do you have grow lights? Ive read mixed reviews, some people say its perfectly fine and others say the light that comes off of the grow lights aren’t safe for them... do you have one? I do have my uvb and basking lights but am not sure if I should toss in a plant light as well.

Bless. Thats the other thing- do you have grow lights? Ive read mixed reviews, some people say its perfectly fine and others say the light that comes off of the grow lights aren’t safe for them... do you have one? I do have my uvb and basking lights but am not sure if I should toss in a plant light as well.
I use 6500 daylight bulbs. I run 2 for each enclosure. I use these ones specifically and they come with the daylight bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html

Others use LED options. I like the jungle dawn light bars. I don't know too much about those though.

Whatever you choose your plants will need the additional lighting to support health and growth. Otherwise they slowly die off. Pothos are about the only ones that grow no matter what you do to them. But if you have grow lights they thrive.

I have seen some people overdo it with lighting. Like a ton of T5 and led's. You just don't want to overdo it. But the right lighting is not harmful at all for the cham.

Keep in mind additional lighting will make temps at the top rise a bit. So you have to take that into consideration. :)

Back
Top Bottom