So I've took him to the vet today...

howiejai

Cage Info:
* Cage Type - 16"(L) x 13"(W) x 14"(H), front/back are glass, and top/left/right is aluminum mesh
* Lighting - I have a 75watt basking spot light, and a reptisun 5.0 tube. Lights on at 8am, and turns off at 9:30pm
* Temperature - basking spot around 90F-ish, night temp is 70F-ish
* Humidity - usually keep it 50 and up
* Plants - just fake leaves and branches, i am getting a pothos for him
* Location - i have it in my room near the window

Chameleon Info:
* Your Chameleon - 4-5months old Veiled Chameleon
* Feeding - for now just crickets...i gutload them with oranges, carrots, and oat meal sometimes.
* Supplements - i dust the crix with zoomed repti-calcium w/o D3 four times a week,rep-cal calcium w/ D3 once at week, and rep-cal herptivite twice a month.
* Watering - I mist it twice a day, 4-5mins each, i have a simple dripping system
* Fecal Description - looks normal to me, the urine stuff is still white
* History - I got him for almost 3 weeks now
* Current Problem - just few days ago his right eye closes. He would open it from time to time. Sometimes I even find him taking a small nap during the day for like 10 mins or so. When I bring him out he would open his right eye.

So I went to the vet today knowing that eyes close are a health issue for chameleon. I didn't want to wait till both eyes are permanently closed before i take him to a vet. However, the vet told me that he cannot visually see a problem that he can deal him (apparently my cham's eyes were opened the entire times at the vet's -_-"). He even checked his feces for parasite and there were no parasite (thank god). He told me to double check the average temp and the humidity in the cage to make sure that the husbandry is not causing the problem first, and he sent me home after that.

So right now i've double checked the temp and humidity of my cage (33 degree celcius at basking spot and lowest temp in the cage during the day is around 27 degree celcius, at night the temp drops to 20-22 degree celcius).

He still eats his food, I feed him 10-12 crix a day. I am sure he drinks his water since his urinate is white.

I have no idea what is going on with him, am I suppose to wait till both eyes are closed during the day, then take him to the vet again or is there anything that I can do to help him?

Appreciate for the help!

Howard

Cage Info:
* Cage Type - 16"(L) x 13"(W) x 14"(H), front/back are glass, and top/left/right is aluminum mesh
* Lighting - I have a 75watt basking spot light, and a reptisun 5.0 tube. Lights on at 8am, and turns off at 9:30pm
* Temperature - basking spot around 90F-ish, night temp is 70F-ish
* Humidity - usually keep it 50 and up
* Plants - just fake leaves and branches, i am getting a pothos for him
* Location - i have it in my room near the window

Chameleon Info:
* Your Chameleon - 4-5months old Veiled Chameleon
* Feeding - for now just crickets...i gutload them with oranges, carrots, and oat meal sometimes.
* Supplements - i dust the crix with zoomed repti-calcium w/o D3 four times a week,rep-cal calcium w/ D3 once at week, and rep-cal herptivite twice a month.
* Watering - I mist it twice a day, 4-5mins each, i have a simple dripping system
* Fecal Description - looks normal to me, the urine stuff is still white
* History - I got him for almost 3 weeks now
* Current Problem - just few days ago his right eye closes. He would open it from time to time. Sometimes I even find him taking a small nap during the day for like 10 mins or so. When I bring him out he would open his right eye.

So I went to the vet today knowing that eyes close are a health issue for chameleon. I didn't want to wait till both eyes are permanently closed before i take him to a vet. However, the vet told me that he cannot visually see a problem that he can deal him (apparently my cham's eyes were opened the entire times at the vet's -_-"). He even checked his feces for parasite and there were no parasite (thank god). He told me to double check the average temp and the humidity in the cage to make sure that the husbandry is not causing the problem first, and he sent me home after that.

So right now i've double checked the temp and humidity of my cage (33 degree celcius at basking spot and lowest temp in the cage during the day is around 27 degree celcius, at night the temp drops to 20-22 degree celcius).

He still eats his food, I feed him 10-12 crix a day. I am sure he drinks his water since his urinate is white.

I have no idea what is going on with him, am I suppose to wait till both eyes are closed during the day, then take him to the vet again or is there anything that I can do to help him?

Appreciate for the help!

Howard

Sometimes they might get something in their eye. It might go away. I don't totally know what this is.

I would recommend a very long misting session. 20-25 mintues if you can handle that. I think that a 4-5 month old may be a little young for a shower.

It may just be something stuck in the eye and the water (misting) can really help a lot.

I would recommend a very long misting session. 20-25 mintues if you can handle that. I think that a 4-5 month old may be a little young for a shower.

It may just be something stuck in the eye and the water (misting) can really help a lot.

Ya, that should do it.

thanks for the reply! Do you mean I should mist him directly? at the eyes?

He closes his left eye as well...but not too often...so does that mean both eyes got something in it?

thanks for the reply! Do you mean I should mist him directly? at the eyes?

He closes his left eye as well...but not too often...so does that mean both eyes got something in it?

Not directly but off to the side a little. But try and get some in his eye

How do you get him to stay still without him trying to bite your fingers off? I don't even want to handle him if I don't need to, he gets so pissed so easily -_-"

How do you get him to stay still without him trying to bite your fingers off? I don't even want to handle him if I don't need to, he gets so pissed so easily -_-"

Try to like sneek up on it but dont just start spraying make sure it knows your there and then spray the plant then spray him.:cool:

Sounds like he may have an irriatated eye-like Chad said, gentle eye washing may work. You have the poor guy in an awfully tiny cage. With only 14" high-he must be terribly close to the lights. You may want to upgrade his cage to something over 36" high at this age.

Sounds like he may have an irriatated eye-like Chad said, gentle eye washing may work. You have the poor guy in an awfully tiny cage. With only 14" high-he must be terribly close to the lights. You may want to upgrade his cage to something over 36" high at this age.

ya. Im building a 4ft cage for a pair of Deremensis

If you decide to give its eyes a wash take him out and hold him. Hold his head just behind his mouth with your index finger and thumb; support the body in your hand. Hold him tight enough that you can keep him still but not so hard as to hurt it. Go where you have good light and then just wash the eye out a little with room temp water. Don’t blast the water out or anything, but good even pressure will help get curd out of the eye should he not be able to free it himself.

If you decide to give its eyes a wash take him out and hold him. Hold his head just behind his mouth with your index finger and thumb; support the body in your hand. Hold him tight enough that you can keep him still but not so hard as to hurt it. Go where you have good light and then just wash the eye out a little with room temp water. Don’t blast the water out or anything, but good even pressure will help get curd out of the eye should he not be able to free it himself.

another tips to add what Chad said there:
(this method is taught to me by MWheelock)

If you found out that your chameleon is the one that is hard to stay still, you can take him out the cage.
Put a white thick towel and wrap him like a burrito.
and then slowly unwrap the towel to reveal only his head.
gently hold the location where chad told you to hold.
and then immediately do whatever you need to do.

Treating chameleon's eyes is tricky to do.

another tips to add what Chad said there:
(this method is taught to me by MWheelock)

If you found out that your chameleon is the one that is hard to stay still, you can take him out the cage.
Put a white thick towel and wrap him like a burrito.
and then slowly unwrap the towel to reveal only his head.
gently hold the location where chad told you to hold.
and then immediately do whatever you need to do.

Treating chameleon's eyes is tricky to do.

Yes it is. Mine got water in his and it took like 10-15 minutes before he opened his eye again.

That is a good one as well...
I just prefer being very hands on and feel the chameleon as well as what I am doing. I have tried the towel with big males to try and save my hands from some strong feet and sharp claws but again I prefer no towel. Try both ways and see what works best for you. Remember that the towel will buffer your sense of touch so take note on how hard you are holing it.

That is a good one as well...
I just prefer being very hands on and feel the chameleon as well as what I am doing. I have tried the towel with big males to try and save my hands from some strong feet and sharp claws but again I prefer no towel. Try both ways and see what works best for you. Remember that the towel will buffer your sense of touch so take note on how hard you are holing it.

lol, I wouldn't be able to so im sad. :( :( :( :(

thanks for the reply! I guess I'll try to hold him down tonight when I get home from work. I really hope that is the case.

He's only 3 inches atm, but I will get him a bigger cage very soon. Unfortunately the pet shops around my area don't sell any mesh cage, they only have those glassy type of terrarium.

So when I do wash his eyes, do I drop water on the opening or just around the lids?

Back
Top Bottom