so im devestated tounge got ripped out

Hoj

Friendly Grasshopper
i had made a post a few mins ago and after lookin around my little guys home ive found what im 90% sure is his tounge im so upset right now i cant belive this happend i love this little guy so much and now this. he was just starting to shoot out of my hand and everyone thought how kool it was to see him whip up a cricket. i hate this i really hope i don t loose him he is drinking and trying to grab food but hes not very good at it cant even grab up a worm let alone a cricket and hes too scared to come eat out of my hand. I hate this ive only had him 2 months and this really hurts.:(:(:(:(:(

So you found the tongue then? They can actually live without their tongues, but I am sure he will have to be seen by a vet if that is the case. There is a member on here who had a female who went through the same thing. The members name is KShook. Do a search and you will be able to find the thread. Her cham is still alive but has gone through ALOT. Maybe you could pm her or talk to her.

Definitely vet time! They can live without their tongues, but they can't if they get infected and it spreads.

As for feeding, using tongs may help. You can also pop the back legs of crickets and put them in a small shallow dish so it can still get to them relatively easy without the insects running away.

ya ive been reading that thread now a bit and did exacly that gave him a few crickets with no back leg in his worm dish he did eat them and is drinking but this is gunna be rough

oh my gosh, I am so sorry about your chameleon. Do you have any idea how it could have happened? How old is he?

Hello Hoj:

This thread is the one you want to look through, the first one is VERY long...I broke everything down on what treatments she went through.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/freak-accident-part-2-a-50636/

If your able to go to the vet I highly suggest it, or if you know someone or anyone on this forum that may live near you can supply you some Liquid Baytril for you to use for 2 weeks that would be great, you'll need to use it for 2 weeks dilute it with water, baby food, apple sauce if you can. This will kill any infection that he may have in his mouth...Make sure you keep him hydrated...Give him showers daily for a while untill he's able to drink on his own. Help him eat if he's unable to. It's a good sign that he's trying to eat right now on his own, put the feeders in a dish if you havent already done so, this way he's able to catch them w.o chasing them at first.

I wish you lived closer to me I would supply you with everything I have for your little guy! It was VERY hard for me to imagine her tounge was gone, I honestly didnt think she would live past a week...It's not going to be easy, it has been a long hard road with her, it's been over 3 months now, she's gettng better but still is not 100%. Keep your head up, if you have any questions at all please dont hesitate to send me a PM.

Good Luck Kayla

ok this seriously sucks however - you'll learn to deal with it and so will your cham, you'll just need to make some changes with feeding and such - its what we do for our scaley little friends!

Have you taken a look around the cage to see if you can see anywhere that he could have injured himself? any stray bits of wire or anything like that?

thx for all the kind words and info i have to work today so ill get on here tonight. hes looking ok anddrinking well but its gotta be rough for him. soooooo sad

so i left work im too stressed about my poor little guy i have called the only reptile qualified vet in the area and am wiating for a call back. Camo looks good and is trying to eat everything and drinking lots but hes havin a hard time getiin the food back far enough into his mouth to swallow.
i went and got him some silk worms but hes having the most trouble with them so i busted the legs on a bunch of crickets and put them in a plastic container for him. i really am worried about him but i guess only time will tell. i know that ive read about afew people who take in injured chams and i am sadly concidering givin him to someone who may be able to help him more than me. It would break my heart but so would watching such a beautifull creature fade slowly away im so confused.

ok this seriously sucks however - you'll learn to deal with it and so will your cham, you'll just need to make some changes with feeding and such - its what we do for our scaley little friends!

Have you taken a look around the cage to see if you can see anywhere that he could have injured himself? any stray bits of wire or anything like that?

i really hope so and i did a good look around his home the only thing i can think of is that he got his tounge stuck on a plant and couldnt free it or possibly tried to shoot a cricket under a rock and got it stuck i really dont know i feel so bad for him. hes my buddy

so i left work im too stressed about my poor little guy i have called the only reptile qualified vet in the area and am wiating for a call back. Camo looks good and is trying to eat everything and drinking lots but hes havin a hard time getiin the food back far enough into his mouth to swallow.
i went and got him some silk worms but hes having the most trouble with them so i busted the legs on a bunch of crickets and put them in a plastic container for him. i really am worried about him but i guess only time will tell. i know that ive read about afew people who take in injured chams and i am sadly concidering givin him to someone who may be able to help him more than me. It would break my heart but so would watching such a beautifull creature fade slowly away im so confused.

How much of his tongue did he lose? It may be worth changing to slightly smaller feeders to see if he finds it easier to swallow them.

You can give him everything that he needs, you just need to learn to adapt exactly like he does. You're doing everything that anyone else could do, just keep at it! He's not going to adapt over night, but he will, he'll just learn to eat like any other non-shooty-tongued lizard - keep up the good work!

How much of his tongue did he lose? It may be worth changing to slightly smaller feeders to see if he finds it easier to swallow them.

You can give him everything that he needs, you just need to learn to adapt exactly like he does. You're doing everything that anyone else could do, just keep at it! He's not going to adapt over night, but he will, he'll just learn to eat like any other non-shooty-tongued lizard - keep up the good work!

he seems to have lost most of it ive only seen about a 1/2 inch of it when hes trying to eat we r going to the vet tomorrow afternoon and hes eatin 2 crickets so far tonite so im trying to keep positive. hes my little trooper.
thanks for for the kind uplifting words i need it right now:):(

Back
Top Bottom