So I went to petsmart today and saw something very sad...:[

I went to petsmart one day for cat food or something, and because I like snakes, I decided to check out the reptiles they had.

I didn't know the first thing about chameleons, and I had only ever seen one in my life before that day, so when I saw one there I didn't really notice anything wrong with him.

He or she was at the bottom of the cage, pawing at the glass. My husband and I both said things like "Oh, I think he likes you" "You want to come home with us don't you?"

We didn't buy him, but it got us thinking about owning one. It wasn't until after some research that I realized that poor little guy was in distress. It was probably too hot in there for him.

I really hope he got a good home before anything really bad happened to him.... :( I haven't seen one in there since (gladly), but if I do, I will not hesitate to complain if anything doesn't seem right.

So I went to petsmart today in Daly City for some feeder crickets and a new enclosure for my dubias. Upon entering I go to the reptile section just to check out what they had and how they looked. First a saw a veiled in a glass enclosure with a small area of ventilation at the top of the cage. Besides his enclosure being less than ideal he himself looked fine and healthy with both eyes open and check out the people. Next door to him I saw the sign for a jackson on the cage and was very excited because I had never seen one in person before...and after being puzzled about not finding it in branches after looking I look down and notice it one it side laying dead in the enclosure. I as well notice that there were a bunch of eggs that it must have laid right behind it. It was a very sad sight and such a bummer to have to let the store workers know that they were not keeping their chams in proper enclosures and that now one has probably died from it...:mad:

But this brings me to question, do you think that jackson died because of the stress of laying eggs or do you believe that it died because of the improper enclosure?:confused::(

Jacksons don't lay eggs...

^^yeah I know that. I have a chameleon book I have been reading. But the cham was a 3 horned jackson and there were eggs. I took a picture on my phone but its **** quality. And even if they dont lay eggs or they lay slugs or whatever. All I am saying is I saw a dead jackson in a glass enclosure with water all over the sides so you could barely see in and white, what looked to be eggs, numerous, behind him. You are not contributing by stating the obvious. thank you come again....

^^yeah I know that. I have a chameleon book I have been reading. But the cham was a 3 horned jackson and there were eggs. I took a picture on my phone but its **** quality. And even if they dont lay eggs or they lay slugs or whatever. All I am saying is I saw a dead jackson in a glass enclosure with water all over the sides so you could barely see in and white, what looked to be eggs, numerous, behind him. You are not contributing by stating the obvious. thank you come again....

Did it have its horns? The box stores never get anything but Xantho Jacksons, so that is odd. The females don't have any horns. In a super rare case they might have one horn. Anyways, that's sad to see. I purchased a female about two years back from my local Petsmart. I had told the manager that she was gravid...but it was like talking yo a brick wall. Those box store clerks don't care. They just want to clock out as soon as they can. I ended up buying her because her time was near. She birthed 15 neonates and died. I kept one and sold the rest off when they were healthy enough. Not a bad find, but a sad situation for those that are inexperienced and end up losing the young neonates as well.

Your story has some holes. The picture would really help back you up. Don't get too defensive if some members don't believe you, most have good intentions, but are confused by your explanation.

Did it have its horns? The box stores never get anything but Xantho Jacksons, so that is odd. The females don't have any horns. In a super rare case they might have one horn. Anyways, that's sad to see. I purchased a female about two years back from my local Petsmart. I had told the manager that she was gravid...but it was like talking yo a brick wall. Those box store clerks don't care. They just want to clock out as soon as they can. I ended up buying her because her time was near. She birthed 15 neonates and died. I kept one and sold the rest off when they were healthy enough. Not a bad find, but a sad situation for those that are inexperienced and end up losing the young neonates as well.

Your story has some holes. The picture would really help back you up. Don't get too defensive if some members don't believe you, most have good intentions, but are confused by your explanation.

My story has holes? I am a cinema major and I take advanced production and SCREENWRITING classes and I am in my last semester so I know a thing or 2 about filling holes into a story. With that being said, this is no fictional story. I do not know what petsmart does with there chams besides what I saw that one day but...yes it had 3 horns..yes it was laying on its side in the dirt and maybe had one eye open could not tell but it looked to be on its way out, if it was not already. There were numerous white eggs. I have crappy internet and crappy phone pics but I will try to indulge you...why would I make this up? My first baby cham died just 2 days ago, and that was a very low blow as even though I did everything I could to save it, I still feel that for some unknown reason to me it was my fault and still a few days later and 2 new very healthy and thriving baby chams later I still feel hella guilty about it. So why again would I make this up? Ill try and upload the pics tonight but I will get them up soon as I am getting a new internet provider tmrw.

For the skeptics

Check it out this is the pic of the jackson

Attachments

• IMG_20130813_153004_359.jpg
    IMG_20130813_153004_359.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 162
Check it out this is the pic of the jackson

Why did you say it was a bad picture? That looks pretty decent. You are right! That is a three horned, I am really curious to find out what the heck happened now.

On a side note, you live in the bay? By any chance do you go to the Academy of Arts University? I almost went there for industrial design a couple of years ago.

Well I have been practicing photography and took an advanced cinematography and light course last semester, so in my opinion, that pic is less than ideal but its enough to see. No I go to SFSU. Love living in SF.

Back
Top Bottom