sneezing chameleon

Juancito

i'm new too this site and to being a chameleon owner but i have done lots of reserch but i currently have a male vieled chameleon and he has been sneezing. i've heard that this could be signs of respatory problems but i'm not sure. could anybody give me advice and tell me how i can help out my chameleon. please :confused:

i also have a baby male jacksons chameleon and he recently he has kept his mouth open for periods of times. my vieled also does this. somebody please help me out these are my babies.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Do you see any more saliva than usual?

How hot are your temperatures throughout the cage? Chameleons may keep their mouths open if they are too hot, too.

Chameleons that make unusual noises, have lots of thick saliva, and keep their mouths open (not from heat) might definitely be brewing a respiratory infection. And unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do at home to treat it. You will need a vet to prescribe antibiotics to treat the infection, but you can raise the basking spot temperature a few degrees and that will act like a fever and help fight off the infection.

You can fill in this form too and it might help answer questions that will help us help you more.
Just copy the text into Word or something, fill in your answers, and paste it all here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
If you can do one for each chameleon that would be great, that way we don't get things mixed up.

thank you for replying but i have a space heater that i have on most of the day that keeps my room from 70-80 and my basking spot for my vieled chameleon is around 85-90. he wasnt sneezing when i first got him but now ive been noticing that he sneezes a couple times a day and i do not know what that means. my vieled i only saw with his mouth open once. it's my male jackson that i bought less than a week ago that keeps his mouth open. it might be that he is hot seeing that i do have the light pretty close to the cage. i also do not see any slivia

How long have you had the Veild? Anything differant in the room or you have done lately? But yeah, lower Jackson temps. What the ambient air temp and basking spot temp for the Jackson?

Chameleon Info: Male Veiled Chameleon
Your Chameleon - male veiled chameleon, 10-12 months old and has been in my care for about a month and a half.
Handling - I’ve only handled him about 3-4 times when I clean out his cage as it is stressful.
Feeding - I‘m feeding him 10-12 crickets and sometimes give him some super worms. I feed him in the morning when I wake up or after I get out of school at 12. I gut-load my crickets with lettuce which I sprinkle with calcium powder.
Supplements - I have reptolife plus which has all the vitamins that he needs. I give it to him 1 a week and I also have flukers calcium without D3 which I use about every time I feed him.
Watering - I use a big dripper and also mist the cage mutiple times everyday. I mist the cage from 3-4 times for about 1 minute and I’ve only seen him drink once which was when I first brought him home.
Fecal Description - his urine mostly always comes back white with a tint of yellow and he uses the bathroom everyday. He has also never been tested for parasites.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - I have a all screen cage that is 24x24x48 in.
Lighting - I have a zoo med mini combo deep dome lamp fixture which I use a repti glo 5.0 uvb light and a 60 watt red nightlight. I live the uvb light and heat on for 12 hours and turn off the heat bulb at night if I am using my space heater.
Temperature - my room is usually in the 70-80 temperature with his basking spot being anywhere from 85-90. At night the lowest the temperature drops to is no lower than 60. I use a zoo med hydrometer and themoter .
Humidity - it’s hard to keep my cages humidity levels up because it is a all screen cage but I mist my plants and the cage 3-4 daily.Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - my cage is located in my room. My cage is about 2-3 feet above the ground. Its standing at about 6 feet.
Location - In Illinois where it is very cold.

Current Problem - my male veiled chameleon has been sneezing recently and I was worried, he also does not drink.

i have had my veiled for about a month and a half and yes i have seen white stuff by his nostrils. it kind of looks like skin when they shed. what is that? and for my jacksons chameleon all i have is a repti sun 5.0 uvb light which creates a mini basking spot of almost 80 and my room temperture is in the high 70s

Gonna wing it here from what i have done, unless things have changed. Your drowning you Veild, water twice just to wet the leaves to a drip. Don't spray the Chameleon, just the leaves. With those temps and that much watering your cage floor must be soaked and the humidity high. Is there bedding in there? Your sneezing issue could be a humidity issue. And if there is a moist floor in the cage and cold temps at night........ A respitory issue can accure. I kept my vields hot and dry during the day and cold and dry at night. Just random 2 cage mistings during the day, and no live plants. There are many factors, your Cham will tell you what they want or don't want. Watch for the little or obvious signs. Hope this helps...

i've never sprayed my chameleon only the live plants and vines. i do not use any bedding. i put newspaper on the bottom of the cage but thank you very much for helping me out.

The white stuff on the nostrols could be salt, is it crusty or like dry boogers?

Jackson:
The 80 temp is cool as long as it is in the far back corner of the cage, letting the front part of the cage be cooler and moist. Moist helps with cooling. (Just make sure theres good ventilation.) We want the humidity with the Jackson. How big is the cage?

Please fill out this form if you want more help. Fill it out twice if you are asking about both your veiled and jacksons.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

This is generally not a sign of illness if it is the only symptom. Chameleons have a nasal salt gland to allow them to get rid of excess salts. Since it is located just inside the nose they sneeze to forcefully expel the salt secretions so they don't build up. This causes crusty white buildup around the nose sometimes as the salts are secreted. It is NOT excess calcium (a common myth). If the crusts bother you or your cham then gently wipe them away with a moist q-tip but they are not harmful.

Here is a caresheet for Jackson's Chameleons: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/

it is more like crusty dried out and currently i'm houseing my jackson in a fish tank on it's side. I KNOW THAT THIS IS NOT EXCETTABLE. he is still a juvinile and small which is why i have him in it. i'm waiting for my paycheck so i can buy him a all screen cage.

i filled one out for my vieled chameleon which is the one i am worried about. my jacksons chameleon just keeps his mouth open sometimes which is probally because he is hot.

@ ferretinmyshoes: THANK YOU VERY MUCH. that helped a lot now i'm not as worried as i was about my vieled chameleon.

Ferret is a "she" I believe ;). The forum is very blessed to have her & Dr.O's wealth of knowledge. Her Chameleon Care blog is an absolute asset to maintaining healthy, happy Chams. I'd recommend it to any new or less seasoned owners.

Back
Top Bottom