Smeeglez Update

docmacbj

So, Smeegz and I have fallen into a nice routine with each other, and so far everythign seems fine. Im wondering though if anyone can help me confirm that he is a he and not a she. I know its easy on veileds due to their tarsal spur but I wanna make sure that I am seeing it correctly. Also any idea on his age ?

Attachments

• IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 162
Any tips

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, im thinking 5-6mths, male
* Handling - Only once in 2 months, he really dosent like intruders in his cage.Im ok with not handling him but I guess at some points I will have too. Should I try even though he really hates my hand in his cage cleaning or feeding ?*
Feeding - Crickets and silkworms? 15 crickets a day and 5-8 silkworms, hed eat more I bet? I feed him around 7-8am and then around 1-2? Crickets are gut loaded with cricket crack and veggies and water crystals w/calcium* Supplements - Repti-cal wo/D3 everyday and herptivite and cal w/d3 every 2 weeks.
* Watering - I have a habamist that came with cage that wets everything down q3hrs for 1 min? I also give him a shower in the afternoon with a mister w/warm warter? Not often but his poo looks good, white urates?
* Fecal Description - Smeeglez poo looks healthy, a nice long brown part and all white urates ?
* History - I have had him for two months now.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - ZooMed screened enclosure 18x12x24
* Lighting - 18inch linear 5.0uvb by reptiglo and a 40 watt basking light?
* Temperature - Basking temp stays in the low 80's and the bottom of the cage is in the low 70's?
* Humidity - humidity stays around 50 to 60
* Plants -There is a big bromeliad and a small ficus plant but he hasnt munched on either yet
His cage is located in our downstairs so he does have to watch TV with me till 10 or 11, but there are no vents near him the room is almost always quite during the day and the top of the gage is about 5 ft off the
* Location - Maryalnd
Current Problem - No real problems just wanted to check in and see if there are any adjustments I should be making !

Really ?

Really no one wants to take a guess ! Can someone please take a look, I filled out the form and everything !

Everything looks ok except for the enclosure size... You might want to get him a bigger cage, in my opinion 18x12x24 is too small for a 5 month old cham.

I'm only a beginner but your Cham looks a lot like mine, Echo. The picture is a little blurry but if I took a guess I would say male :). Again I'm only a beginner so I am not 100% positive.

Cage size

I am going to move him to a bigger cage in about 2 months. It will be a 24x24x48 I think. I would like to get the XXL but convincing the wife to allow me to have that much space will be hard. :p

How bout handiling ?

If your chameleon has a nasty temper when trying to pick him should you just let him be or force it. I mean really I tried to slowly bring my hand into the cage, Ive talked softly to him, Ive tried to handfeed him. He's just really pissy when it comes to approaching him ! Thats when I call him Golem, his alter ego !

LLLReptile, one of our sponsors, sells screen cages for a relatively small prices... Or you can always, do what I'm doing right now, getting the satisfaction of building my own enclosure for my cham... It is cheaper but it requires some assembly.. Lol, see I made a joke... well ahem, yeah, you can try those options.

LLLreptile

Chino, thats who I want to order the cage from because I like their drainage pans that you can order with them. They seem sweet. Anybody on here use the drain pans that lllreptile sells, if so any feedback ?

more pics of smeeglez

here is smeeglez

Attachments

• IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1421.jpg
    IMG_1421.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 93
You have a male... The spur is very apparent even in the blurry pics.

Yes male for certain. I will second (3rd, 4th or 5th) that. :D He is about the same size as my guy and he is 5 months.

LLL has great cages or build your own. The water tray is a great way to go. You may need to alter it a bit to fit into you space of real estate that your wife has given you.

PS At least your wife gives you some space. I have mine in the office. Not as bad though because I get to hang with him more than if I were at home.

Cage

Im still trying to decide. I tossed around the idea of building a wood cage that would look like a nice piece of furniture at the wood shop at FT. Meade. Or converting a piece of furniture into one. Will see. And yes I am very lucky that my wife allows me to pursue my obsessions !

Back
Top Bottom