Small Eye Wound

Woodinville

I noticed that my male pygmy brev has a fresh wound on one of his eye turrets (sp). It's just a tiny scratch, but it looks raw. Any suggestions as to what I could or should do to help this heal?

You can dab a small bit of Polysporin on it. Basically watch it. Most likely it will heal just fine.

Is Polysporin available at a drug store, or do I get it at a herp supply? It sounds similar to Neosporin, and I have some of that. I don't want to do anything that would further complicate his little problem though. Thanks for your input :)

Is Polysporin available at a drug store, or do I get it at a herp supply? It sounds similar to Neosporin, and I have some of that. I don't want to do anything that would further complicate his little problem though. Thanks for your input :)

Yes, Polysporin is available over the counter and I believe it's different than Neosporin.

I've read in the past that Polysporin is a bit more compatible with herp skin than Neosporin. I don't know how significant this is especially for a small injury. Because it's an eyelid I would be very cautious and try to get the Polysporin just in case the other stuff might cause a reaction or some secondary irritation. Polysporin is readily available at grocery stores, drug stores etc.

I got your pm, but will respond here.
I would leave it alone for a bit.
Chances are it will heal itself just fine.
You may need to start working on your next pygmy enclosure in case you need to separate those two males.;)

-Brad

Ok, I think I've found the culprit. I had 3 of the smallest species of Neoregelia Bromelaids growing in the terrarium. They have tiny serrated edges on their leaves that are quite sharp. today I woke up, and one of my females has the same type of wound on her eye, and a small scratch on her head. I think the pygs are slowly dragging themselves past those sharp leaves. I removed those 3 broms, needless to say. Meanwhile the males eye seems better today.

Now that I've removed the "sharp leafed" Broms, the pygs are all healed. I'm pretty sure they were the culprits.

Back
Top Bottom