Small Chameleons

NXSmiggy

Hi Guys,

New forum member here so be gentle lol.

Im based in the UK and have been looking for my first chameleon. When in my local store I Spotted a pair of Mt Kiimnjaro chamaleons (Bradypodion Tavetanum) which I Immediatly put a deposit on.

Unfortunatly this morning the guy from the shop called me and told me he had rushed the little male to the vets as he had an abcess develop on his side overnight and did not pull through.

The guy immediatly offered me a refund (and seemed quite upset with us being friends) but i told him i would wait and see what i could get that would fit into the tank i had bought and prepped for them.

Im looking for a species that would live its life in a 45x45x60 planted exo terra. The Mt Kilimajaro's would have been perfect for that.

Really dislike pygmy's as they seem pointless to me lol (please dont hurt me !!)

All suggestions will be greeted with open arms, thanks guys

I'm not going to hurt you! - but before you say "No" forever to pygmies, have you looked at all the available options? - There's a lot more out there than just brevs... Otherwise, I'm not all that familiar with other small species, and with what you may have available (I know the available species differ between UK and US. If it were me, and I were committed to the "no pygmies", I would probably either a) get a baby panther or veiled, with the understanding that it would be moving to a rather larger cage in a couple months, or b) use it for a gecko.

Hello,

Sorry to hear your tavetana deal did not go through. Although better for you that you did not get sick ones. This is such a hard species to acclimate when dealing with the WCs. Although as I think I remember PMing you on the UK forum that the CH seem to do pretty well.

What is available over there? It really depends but any animal that is similar size and similar requirements may do well. I am guessing there arent many CB species that arent veileds or panthers over there?

Its a shame that I am in a position that I need to downsize my collection drastically for multiple reasons:( I would love for my tavs to go to someone as enthusiastic as you are about them and the cooler montane species!

Yeah Cain , theres only really panther, Yemens and now flap necks here.

There all great and if LOVE some panthers but dont have enough space in the tanks i have for them.

How long would a pair of panthers last in my tank Cain and Hallenhe?

I do like some pygmyies but they are very hard to get here in to uk so it seems

Panthers are pretty fast growing; a 3 month old (about the youngest that would normally be sold) would be happy in a cage that size until about 5 months; six at the outside. A pair probably wouldn't want to be housed together, but a lot of times babies are, and as they wouldn't be sexually mature at 6 months, it could probably be done, but would not be optimal.

i have 2 tanks so they would be seperate.

Just saw the prices of the the panthers down here and there WAY to expensive here lol.

Still looking for smaller species though.

Need something like a dwarf yemen lol

Male carpet chameleons are small and colorfull. They require higher humidity levels in the 70%. I sugest doing research before purchase of any species u purchase though.

if not my (and the book with 4 pages on them) mistake.

Looking into the carpets now. found a VERY detailed care page on them.

Would love to find some CB in the UK , current price is about £100 it seems , so about $160

that expensive or cheap over for you guys?

They are now classified as Kinyongia tavetana once known as Bradypodion tavetanum.

I would suggest just waiting until something else you like pops up. Might be hard but then again it will be worth getting the cham you want and not settling with the first species that comes your way that will do will in your terrariums.

Oh, and check out adcham.com for profiles of most of the species that are commercially available. Some outdated a bit but tons of great information and pics on that site.

Thanks Jared.

Im likeing the look of the carpets though. they are a nice size, have excellent colourations and seemingly from what ive read a temperment simmilar to that of a panther.

Ill check that site out now though

Have you thought of a rudis? I have two and they're pretty neat. Still prefer my pygmies though. I would hurt you, but you're so bloody far away lol. jk :D

Im in the UK and I rearly see any chams other than veileds here.

I would suggest a baby veiled and keep it in your viv up till around 6 or 7 months then move it to a bigger 1.

privetly, you could get 1 for around £35 (thats the price I recently sold my babies for and will sell my next lot in march) and in a shop you could pay around £50.....the few other chams I have seen in shops have been a few pygmys for £35 each, and 1 panther for around £200!!

Hi Jojo, Gues your on RFUK too?

Ive seen the veiled for about the price your stating and the panther prices are rediculous lmao.

The main problem i have is not space, if it were up to me id have a breeding pair of panthers of jacksons by now, the missus hates them as the creep her out (apparently the eyes are creepy, i bloody love them) but she said for my birthday i could get a small species and the tavetanum were great as she liked the. she said carpets are ok too.

Hi Jojo, Gues your on RFUK too?

Ive seen the veiled for about the price your stating and the panther prices are rediculous lmao.

The main problem i have is not space, if it were up to me id have a breeding pair of panthers of jacksons by now, the missus hates them as the creep her out (apparently the eyes are creepy, i bloody love them) but she said for my birthday i could get a small species and the tavetanum were great as she liked the. she said carpets are ok too.

Yea I am on RFUK under the same name as here, thats were I sold most of my babies last time and the 1st place I will be putting them when there ready around march.

Cham's eyes are the 2nd best thing about them behind ther tongue!!!

thats quite close Pssh ........ may look into that one lol.

As for the tounge i love that too, along with the prehensile tails and the flip-flop feet :D

Back
Top Bottom