Slit egg

rnara002

So the egg that was sweating has multiple slits at one end. But its been like this for about a day with no movement inside the egg. I carefully lifted a flap off the egg and cut it away so I can see whats inside. The chameleon is there but it didn't react to any movement and I dont see it moving or breathing. Has anyone had a panther chameleon slit the egg and then not make it. Or do they usually stay this still after the egg has been slit? The slits made are large and it would have made it out without an issue. This was the first egg to sweat in a clutch that is only 7.5 months old.

So the egg that was sweating has multiple slits at one end. But its been like this for about a day with no movement inside the egg. I carefully lifted a flap off the egg and cut it away so I can see whats inside. The chameleon is there but it didn't react to any movement and I dont see it moving or breathing. Has anyone had a panther chameleon slit the egg and then not make it. Or do they usually stay this still after the egg has been slit? The slits made are large and it would have made it out without an issue. This was the first egg to sweat in a clutch that is only 7.5 months old.

AArghh NO!! leave the little guy to it,dont mess with him man!
Think what happens,the egg stars and the remained of the plama leaks out,The baby chameleon then learns how to use its lungs and begins to breath,meanwhile the remained of the egg sack is absorbed into the body,
Then the baby will emerge from the egg.
Mine normally take 3-4 days to emerge after slitting the egg.

Be patience,Relax yourself and Dont mess with them,;)

Luke

I barely touched the egg. I just cut a flap that was easily accessible with small scissors. I thought that after slitting the hatchling usually takes a gasp of air and then takes in oxygen from then on. This one is not moving or breathing inside that egg. I understand its going to take a few days to emerge while it absorbs the yolk, but dont they breathe at this stage?

I barely touched the egg. I just cut a flap that was easily accessible with small scissors. I thought that after slitting the hatchling usually takes a gasp of air and then takes in oxygen from then on. This one is not moving or breathing inside that egg. I understand its going to take a few days to emerge while it absorbs the yolk, but dont they breathe at this stage?

They are dinky when they first hatch they breath through the noistrils you wont see them breathing mate;)

Just chill!

Give it time....

Yes, please give it time.....if it's alive it will come out eventually. If it's not it will start to look funky. I have had some neonates slit the egg and die. This is because it was not strong enough in the first place. Human intervention can not help a neonate that is not strong enough to emerge from a fully slit egg. If several more days go by without it emerging it is probably dead. You can then gently remove it. In my experience the dead neonates usually have their mouths partially opened and even sometimes have their tongue stuck out like they did not make the breathing transition successfully. We don't have the technical ability to help a distressed neonate. It is nature's way of weeding out the weak :(

Crossing my fingers.

Attachments

• FirstHatch.jpg
    FirstHatch.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 236
It took my babys 1 or 2 days to come out after they split the egg. Their nose or head would be sticking out with no movement at all.

Then sometimes after the baby would come out of the egg he still wanted to lay there curled up for a day before I moved them to the baby cage.

I wait till the baby is out and moving around before I move it to the baby cage.

Cute....

Cute picture.....the skin coloration looks alive and healthy. I think it will make it just fine. It does take a while. And like Dez said, don't move it until it is out of the egg and walking around on it's own :)

The hatchling made it out of its shell yesterday and is resting on the perlite. I will get some pics up soon.

The female is an Ambilobe from FLChams Wuerfell. And the Male is a CH Ambilobe. I'll post baby pic soon.

Here it is ... the first Ambilobe hatched out. Two more eggs are starting to sweat so he should have company soon.

Attachments

• FirstOut62009.jpg
    FirstOut62009.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 230
I cant see the enclosure you have your neonate in, but I always keep mine in a tub (size depends on how many babies you expect) with a few plastic vines. This way it makes it easy for them to eat those fruit flies or 1/8" crickets. If the plants are too big they won't be able to eat easily.

I use tubs too :)

I use plastic tubs with the plastic vines/foliage too. Much easier to keep clean and the feeding is easier too like you said. I put screens over the tubs because I have cats. People without other pets don't have to do that. I can't imagine caring for a large clutch in anything but a tub. They are easy to cart outside for some real sun each day too :)

Back
Top Bottom