Slight wheezing?

Ares05

Chameleon Enthusiast
When I first started hand misting (since my mistking timer broke, the new one comes in today) amaro kinda... flipped out. he hated it, since he had gotten used to the more gentle spray of his mistking. I try not to spray him directly.

But about 2 days ago I was holding him because he had gotten a bit of shed stuck on his eyelid. Once I had gotten it off, he climbed up onto the side of my head. When he breathes, there is this tiny little wheeze at the end of every 2nd or 3rd breath. You can't hear it unless his chest is right next to your ear. Should I ask the vet about it when I go next week on friday? (or Monday If they are full, we are going for his last fecal/checkup) Am I overreacting?

Here is my form:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Veiled, male, around 5-5 1/2 months, 71 grams. He has been with me for almost 3 months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Normally I never hold him, maybe once a week, but i've been having to hold him more often (sanitizing his cage, taking him off of the screen, weighing him, checking him over, ect) so now its probably once every other day.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

I feed him crickets, got loaded with bug burger, turnip greens, apples, and some lettuce to keep the crickets hydrated. I just shake a decent amount into his cup, around 15-18 medium crickets. I put his cricket in his cup around 7:30-8am. When I take out the cup at the end of the day there is only a couple left, so on average he eats 8-12 crickets per day.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I use reptivite w/o d3 every other week (twice a month), calcium w/3 every other week, and then regular calcium every day except for the multivitamin and d3 days.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I use misting and nighttime fogging. I just recently got the fogger, a day or two before the small wheezes started. I only fog during the night, from 11:30pm - 4:30am. During those times my room is 58-64 degrees, though it can vary night to night. Never over 65. Keeps the humidity up to 80-100.

Before the mistking broke it was set for 4 minutes in the Am, and 5 minutes for the Pm. I do the same thing still, just hand misting. Humidity during the day hovers at 30-40. I dont see him drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
His poop is dark brown. Holds its shape but is soft. His Urates are more orange than they should be. He isnt drinking as much as he should either, because I have to hand mist and he never drinks in front of me.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
I have been treating for coccidia. Got a clear fecal, and im getting a second one next week, just to be sure.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Screen, 2x2x4 reptibreeze.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I use a reptisun 10.0 24'' (T5ho), and a spare basking bulb I had. Not sure of the wattage. His basking spot is about 12-14 inches from his uvb. @Beman explained that I would need to bump it down to a 5.0, as with a 10.0 12 inches away in a single fixture would bring the UVI to around 6. I will get a 5.0 when I can. I am going to try and raise it another 6 inches off of the screen to lower it until then.

My UVB comes on at 7, then I mist at 7:30, heat bulb comes on at 8, heat bulb goes off at 6, I mist at 6:30, UVB off at 7.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking spot is around 82-84, middle of the cage 72, bottom is around 69. Lowest overnight temps is 58-60. Digital thermometer.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
30-40 for the day, 80-100 during the night. Misting during the day, fogging at night. A digital hygrometer.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
No live plants at the minute. My cage is pretty bare right now, with some fake plants and fake branches. Its easier to keep sanitary.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
In my room, next to the reptile shelf, in a corner. Height to room floor is about 6 feet. I would consider it a low traffic area. There is an AC in the room but he is not near it.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Pensacola, fl.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Very slight wheezing every 2nd breath, can only hear it if he is right next to your ear. Startings of an RI? Am I overreacting (as usual) ?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
I will try to get a decent photo of him today.

Your husbandry is on point. Have the vet check him when you go in to make sure he does not have an RI but I see nothing in your husbandry that would cause an RI. Your looking for stringy saliva and if he starts gaping while pointing his nose up to extend his throat. If you see these things then he needs the vet sooner then your Friday appointment. I don't believe you can over react with these animals. I think you have to be very observant of every behavior because they do hide illness so well. :)

I nearly have heart failure if he does anything unusual, whether it be something like this or not eating the same amount. Definitely stress-inducing animals! But amazing ones nonetheless.

I am also going to order him some hornworms so help with hydration. But he should start drinking more since his mistking timer comes in today (finally!) .

Say he needs some medication for it, what should I expect?

Yes, if you'll be at the vet, point out any and every concern. I did so this week, and my vet very thoroughly examined every cham's mouth, tongue, throat, etc for any evidence of a URI, as well as just a general inspection for overall health. They also listened to each cham's chest with a stethoscope. I had one cham with a URI around Xmas so I was very anxious about everyone's else's health.

I was concerned that a second cham had a URI. I wasn't sure if I was hearing breathing noises or if I was hearing noise from him climbing around. I started giving him Reptaid until his vet check up. The vet didn't find any evidence of a URI, so I really am not sure if he had one to begin with, or if the Reptaid helped... but there are many, many reptile keepers who claim that Reptaid has helped clear up a range of health issues from URIs to mild parasites. So I always keep a bottle on hand, just in case.

If you'll be at the vet, you should take advantage of it and point out any concerns and ask all your questions while you have their attention.

I nearly have heart failure if he does anything unusual, whether it be something like this or not eating the same amount. Definitely stress-inducing animals! But amazing ones nonetheless.

I am also going to order him some hornworms so help with hydration. But he should start drinking more since his mistking timer comes in today (finally!) .

They give oral meds for it. I have not had to treat for this so I am not familiar with the options or what you need to watch for while treating.

I will definitely look into getting some of the reptaid!

I was asking what type of medication is normally used for it. I dont want them giving him something no one has used on here, or something with bad side effects that can be avoided with a different medication, yknow?

They gave my guy albon, although they called it by the drug name and not albon. It can be hard on them, so from what I've seen its important to keep them very well hydrated. I gave my guy his medication every day with a hornworm and silkworm... and I'd squirt it in the corner of his mouth as he ate them. I also started giving him a little bit of water in the corner of his mouth while eating. Thankfully my guy did well with it and never lost his appetite or activity. Since I didn't need to forcefully give him medicine, there was very little added stress for both of us.

I am a little scared of Albon. Amaro is on the thinner side but gaining weight steadily. I dont want him to stop eating, now that he is doing so well.

I am a little scared of Albon. Amaro is on the thinner side but gaining weight steadily. I dont want him to stop eating, now that he is doing so well.

Charlie didn't stop eating at all, he kept his appetite the whole time, but others have said their cham lost their appetite or activity while on it. I'm not sure what else is used for URIs, but apparently Albon is usually the go-to. Talk it over with your vet, they may have another recommendation, as well. @jannb has lots of knowledge and experience with meds, maybe she has some input. Hopefully he's ok and none are needed.

Yes, im hoping he is fine aswell. But if he needs medication, so be it. He has always been a very resilient boy.

@GoodKarma19 what medication is normally given for an RI? And are there any side effects from it?

There are several drugs for your vet to choose from. Mostly commonly, the drugs of choice are Albon (sulfadimethoxine), trimoxazole (tmp/smx, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole), or Baytril (enrofloxacin). I believe on one or two occasions I've seen Fortaz (ceftazidime) used, as well... though I may be thinking of a different case. I havent had any personal experience with RIs in my own animals, though.

Common side effects from antibiotics include reduced appetite and lethargy, though not every animal responds in the same way and many will not show any negative effects at all. As with most medications, they can be hard on the kidneys and animals must be kept well hydrated.

There are several drugs for your vet to choose from. Mostly commonly, the drugs of choice are Albon (sulfadimethoxine), trimoxazole (tmp/smx, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole), or Baytril (enrofloxacin). I believe on one or two occasions I've seen Fortaz (ceftazidime) used, as well... though I may be thinking of a different case. I havent had any personal experience with RIs in my own animals, though.

Common side effects from antibiotics include reduced appetite and lethargy, though not every animal responds in the same way and many will not show any negative effects at all. As with most medications, they can be hard on the kidneys and animals must be kept well hydrated.

hmmm I think Charlie got the tmp/smx then, not albon.

Well hes gaping. Very slightly. Hes under his basking spot, I will check his temperatures. He isn't tilting his head up or anything, though.

Can't judge by being under the light, just keep an eye on him elsewhere. Charlie was gaping pretty much anywhere in the cage or outside of it. If you think he may have a URI you may want to try to get him in sooner than Friday, if its an option. I misread your first comment and thought he was going today or Monday, but now I see its next week. Not trying to panic you, but take it from me, the sooner you go the sooner you will BOTH feel better!

They are normally packed 5-7 days out, so the soonest I could get him in is probably wednesday. I will call when I can and schedule an appointment for a fecal and a checkup.

Back
Top Bottom