Sliding down screen cage

sixstring

My male Ambilobe has taken to climbing the sides of his screen cage, and slides down, some times falling. It worries me that he is going to hit the bottom to hard (standard white pvc) or hurt his feet. I dont think there is anything I can do but put more branches in. I plan on getting more vines my next student refund, but for the next month it is what it is (and far from empty). Do I have anything to worry about? I imagine chams probably fall all the time in the wild. I'm just looking for a piece of mind I guess.

Probably nothing to really worry about. I mean I am not saying that he could never get hurt from a fall. He may break off some of his nails hanging on the screen though. Most of the time they will grow back but it depends on where they break off. Mine is missing a nail from when he was young and I am assuming it came from hanging on the screen all the time. Maybe you could add some more foilage so if he begins to fall he can catch himself before he hits the bottom!

Line the inside of the cage with the green plastic garden screening ( not sure exactly what they call it) You can buy it in any garden store. They sell them with all different size holes.

I think I know what your talking about Mr. Wilson. Thats a good idea. I have a Ficus on the bottom, but maybe I'll add some more. He has been tear that tree up lately! Maybe some plants to rotate is not a bad idea. I think if I take some vines (big exo terra ones) and drape them close to the sides he might be more attracted to them than the screen. thanks for the reassurance Carol!

Yea sounds like he's just getting nice and big and healthy. My nosy be lost two nails before i put the liner up. Even with it every once and a while he'll be an idiot and reach around it and still try and climb the screen but at least it helps. My big ambilobe wont even touch the screen anymore he only uses the liner.

Maybe hang a pothos in there too. I love them because they grow from the top down and give ample climbing space. I know a lot of members use the green liner so there should be some pics some where. Or i can post a pic for you of what exactly i use if your not sure. :cool:

are his nails to large for the holes in the screen cage so that he is not able to get a sufficient grip, thus causing him to slide down or fall?? is it possible to either switch to a cage with larger holes or place a second cage or wall lining within the primary cage with larger holes or some sort of latice work??

Yea sounds like he's just getting nice and big and healthy. My nosy be lost two nails before i put the liner up. Even with it every once and a while he'll be an idiot and reach around it and still try and climb the screen but at least it helps. My big ambilobe wont even touch the screen anymore he only uses the liner.

Maybe hang a pothos in there too. I love them because they grow from the top down and give ample climbing space. I know a lot of members use the green liner so there should be some pics some where. Or i can post a pic for you of what exactly i use if your not sure. :cool:

I would love to see some pics! He is a year and a month, so he has a little more growing to do. I have a feeling he would destroy the pathos. His temps are perfect, but he is fairly active. I have to put in a stake and ties the ficus to it. When I move I will be adding more to his home.

Heres the one i use.
DSC_0533.jpg

Some pics of it in there cages (2'x2'x4')
DSC_0534.jpg

DSC_0535.jpg

DSC_0536.jpg

DSC_0537.jpg

Sorry for the last pic being blurry i could focus holding the plastic back

Its been working great for me. you can cut it to any size and just secure it with gardening wire, i'll fit right through the screen.

I got the ladder from a bird store. It had hooks on the end of it for a big cage so i just hung it on the green liner. I just put extra garden ties to reinforce it.

Back
Top Bottom