Sleeping during the whole day

DeanErnsperger

My 2 1/2 month old male panther chameleon is sleeping basically the whole day. I have no idea what I’m supposed to do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 130
AKA this:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Your chameleon- male panther chameleon, only 2 1/2 months old. I have had him for about 3 weeks now.
Handling- I handle him maybe 1 every 2 days
Feeding- I tried feeding him small crickets which he ate at first but then stopped so I tried fruit flies and eats those now
Supplement-I try and give him calcium with no D3 about everyday and I do WITH D3 2 times a month.
watering- I mist his cage about 3 times a day for 45 sec.
Fecal- It’s very watery at some times but tot her times it looks perfectly fine
History- bought him from CB Reptile

Cage Info
Cage type- zoo med 18x18x36 it is a screen cage
Lighting-I use a Flukers lamp and 100 Wyatt bulb
Humidity- the humidity is about 50-60%
Plants- I use a live Golden Pothos and the rest are fake
Placement- It is in my room, not by any vents but there is a window that shines on his cage a little bit.
Location- South Bend,Indiana
He wasn’t eating for about 4 days but I offered him food multiple times during the day but he never ate.

What are his temps at the basking spot? Are you using a T8 or T5 for UVB? What's the bulb strength? My biggest concern is you bought too young of a chameleon from a very unreputable source. CB Reptile is basically a reptile mill. My guess is he could have parasites. You will want to get a fecal to a vet asap to confirm or deny.

What are his temps at the basking spot? Are you using a T8 or T5 for UVB? What's the bulb strength? My biggest concern is you bought too young of a chameleon from a very unreputable source. CB Reptile is basically a reptile mill. My guess is he could have parasites. You will want to get a fecal to a vet asap to confirm or deny.
Ok his basking spot is around 85-90 and I use a T8 long bulb

Ok his basking spot is around 85-90 and I use a T8 long bulb
What type of bulb 5.0, 10.0, 6%, 12%? Babies that young need it cooler. In fact some breeders tend not to use basking bulbs for baby panthers until 4 or 5 months of age. You want his basking temp in the low 80s high 70s for a bit.

I agree with @CamoChameleonsHuman , parasites are likely if he is not eating. Sleeping all day is not a good sign.

From your husbandry review, be careful of sun coming through a window as it can cause the closure to overheat in some instances.

With the refusal of food and the sleeping I would get a bet appointment and a fecal asap. As Camo said--sketch supplier and the chameleon is very young. Good luck!

Yup, vet appointment ASAP. I know it’s probably difficult, given the current climate, but a vet visit and a fecal is what you need.

Back
Top Bottom