Sleeping during the day

Kam0408

Established Member
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?Male Veiled Chameleon, 9 months, since September
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 2-4 times a week
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?Roaches,Crickets, waxworms, mealworms on occasion😬, BSFL, hornworms
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?Multivitamin, calcium with and without d3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?Yes see him all the time drink, mist 2-3 times a day 1-2 mins
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?No but I plan to have a check up very soon
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?Screen, 2.2.4
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?5.0 T5ho linear UVB, 75 watt heat bulb
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?Around 80-85 degrees.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?30-40%
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? All live
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?On floor
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Texas

• My problem is that he all of a sudden goes to a dark part of his cage and tries to sleep- while his lights are on😐

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?30-40%
Is this your daytime humidity? What are your nighttime humidity levels? You state that you see your cham drinking all the time, are you sure you are getting your levels up high enough? Your nighttime levels should be anywhere between 80-100%.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?Roaches,Crickets, waxworms, mealworms on occasion😬, BSFL, hornworms
Waxworms are not really recommended as a staple item and should be fed only a couple times a month max. How many food items do you feed your cham and how often?

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?Multivitamin, calcium with and without d3
Be more specific here. What brands are you using e.g Repashy calcium plus lod, arcadia earthpro A. And how often?

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 2-4 times a week
I'd try to handle him less if you can, especially if he is seeking a dark corner and sleeping. This could be stress induced. Is his cage by a window where he can see something outside? Do you have a cat?

Sorry to disappoint you with my presence--I am not @ERKleRose 😭 Everything else seems good. I'm sure @ERKleRose might come along and pick up on something that I missed. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be...

The more info you provide us, even if you think it isn't important, the better we can help. Also, send pictures of the setup.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?Around 80-85 degrees.
I would go back and revise your answers. Half of the questions aren't even answered--such as the quote above. What are the ambient temps? Nighttime temps? How are you measuring these? Make sure to answer the full question.

Is this your daytime humidity? What are your nighttime humidity levels? You state that you see your cham drinking all the time, are you sure you are getting your levels up high enough? Your nighttime levels should be anywhere between 80-100%. It is

Waxworms are not really recommended as a staple item and should be fed only a couple times a month max. How many food items do you feed your cham and how often? I feed 1-2 every two weeks

Be more specific here. What brands are you using e.g Repashy calcium plus lod, arcadia earthpro A. And how often? Zoo med I think

I'd try to handle him less if you can, especially if he is seeking a dark corner and sleeping. This could be stress induced. Is his cage by a window where he can see something outside? Do you have a cat?no other animals, no window

Sorry to disappoint you with my presence--I am not @ERKleRose 😭 Everything else seems good. I'm sure @ERKleRose might come along and pick up on something that I missed. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be... no problem😂

The more info you provide us, even if you think it isn't important, the better we can help. Also, send pictures of the setup.
There is more stuff up top just not in this picture

Attachments

• 3257D19F-4FFF-433E-B0DB-63E7F0D5D31D.jpeg
    3257D19F-4FFF-433E-B0DB-63E7F0D5D31D.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 95
Make sure to check your other thread, @ERKleRose has provided very good info.

1) I would add more plants up top, close to where he basks, so he can get privacy while getting heat and uvb.

2) Double check your humidity. Like @ERKleRose said in your other thread, go to a local hardware store and get a digital hygrometer-thermometer probe so you accurately measure your humidity levels. If he is drinking every time you spray, or at least very frequently, he may be severely dehydrated due to improper humidity levels. Proper hydration goes beyond making sure that they drink. Proper hydration also means proper humidity. If the air is too dry, they lose water faster than if the levels are up at the appropriate levels. Do you have a cool-mist humidifier or a mistking that could help you increase humidity? 1) The first step is to accurately measure the humidity levels and then 2) take appropriate actions to increase or decrease humidity.

Sleeping during the day is never good, so I’d take him to an experienced chameleon vet. Make the needed husbandry changes that were mentioned in your two threads from today are addressed. Do you want any helpful care images or links?

Make sure to check your other thread, @ERKleRose has provided very good info.

1) I would add more plants up top, close to where he basks, so he can get privacy while getting heat and uvb.

2) Double check your humidity. Like @ERKleRose said in your other thread, go to a local hardware store and get a digital hygrometer-thermometer probe so you accurately measure your humidity levels. If he is drinking every time you spray, or at least very frequently, he may be severely dehydrated due to improper humidity levels. Proper hydration goes beyond making sure that they drink. Proper hydration also means proper humidity. If the air is too dry, they lose water faster than if the levels are up at the appropriate levels. Do you have a cool-mist humidifier or a mistking that could help you increase humidity? 1) The first step is to accurately measure the humidity levels and then 2) take appropriate actions to increase or decrease humidity.
So he actually has more plants and a basking spot up top just not in that picture, that one was the only one hand I will put a new one below.
So I am this weekend going to get the new humidity gauge. I have a monsoon mister that I can change to almost anything ( time and how long)

So he actually has more plants and a basking spot up top just not in that picture, that one was the only one hand I will put a new one below.
So I am this weekend going to get the new humidity gauge. I have a monsoon mister that I can change to almost anything ( time and how long)
Perfect, this sounds like a good start. I provided more info on how to increase humidity on your other thread, sorry for jumping around.

How close is he to his heat bulb in that spot?

Does the temperature that you took at the basking spot account for the height of his body as well? If the basking spot reads 85 at the branch, his back could be getting way hotter. I would recommend getting a stronger basking bulb and raise it up off the cage--it is hard to provide a heat gradient with the bulb so close. A higher wattage bulb will create a larger heat gradient so he can choose the temp that he wants to be at instead of having one option for heat.

Back
Top Bottom