Sleeping during the day plus a question

ilikechlorophyll

[Jackson's Chameleon]
I've noticed my chameleon has been sleeping during the day. I've heard that that's bad, but I have no clue what's causing it. His temperature and humidity are really good during the day, so it might not be that.

But then, that leads me into my next question: how do you trap humidity in the cage, and what are some tips (other than using ice packs on top of the cage, since i'm already doing that) to lower temperature at night? I run a Walgreens personal humidifier at night on high, but the humidity doesn't seem to be staying.

@JacksJill is our expert on Jackson's. I have tagged her for you. But it would be very helpful for you to fill out this form so there is complete husbandry to go off of.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? - Jackson's Chameleon, Male, about 6-9 months, I've had him for 2 weeks
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? - He's seems friendly, but I don't handle him often
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? - I'm feeding him crickets and calci-worms and superworms, with hornworms as treats since he loves them. He gets 6 crickets every other day w/ some calci-worms/superworms. I'm using carrots, apples,kale to gutload them.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I have zoo-med calcium without d-3 twice a week, zoo-med calcium with d-3 once a month, and reptivite once a month.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a dripper and a starter MistKing. I mist several times throughout the day, but I have long mistings in the morning and at night. I've seen him drink sometimes.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? - Colors are fine. I haven't seen any. I don't know if he's been tested, but I can e-mail the person I got him from.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. - nope
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? - Screen cage that's 18x18x36in
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? - I have reptisun tube uvb light on in the day, and a 40 watt basking light that works very well.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? - 77-80, overnight has been mid to high 60's but i'm trying to get it lowered to 60 degrees. I have thermometers in the cage.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? - Humidity has been in the 40-60's in the day, and 75s at night, but I just got a cool mist humidifer so they should be higher. I have a mister and a humidifier. I have a hygrometer in the middle of the cage.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? - Weeping fig.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? - it's sort of by a fan, and it's on an entertainment stand.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? - midwest

You are doing a very good job.
Is your room temperature or Ambient 77˚F or is that your basking range? For basking it is fine I hope your daytime ambient is closer to 72.
One thing that makes chameleons sleep during the day is lights at night. Is the room your chameleon is in dark 12 hrs a night? You can cover the cage like you would a bird cage with dark cloth (just be careful that your lights don't burn it in the morning) if you need to make it darker for him. I'm sure you know not to use even a red light at night. They affect sleep patterns.
If your cham is going to his sleep spot early(hour or so) but has his eyes open that is normal.
Stress can cause some shutting down and eye closing if your cage doesn't have enough plant cover that could be a cause.
A picture of your cage would help.
If it is none of the above he may have a health problem that should be seen by a vet.

Your humidity during the day is fine but you can cover a side or two or three with plastic to hold more humidity. More plants will help also.

You are doing a very good job.
Is your room temperature or Ambient 77˚F or is that your basking range? For basking it is fine I hope your daytime ambient is closer to 72.
One thing that makes chameleons sleep during the day is lights at night. Is the room your chameleon is in dark 12 hrs a night? You can cover the cage like you would a bird cage with dark cloth (just be careful that your lights don't burn it in the morning) if you need to make it darker for him. I'm sure you know not to use even a red light at night. They affect sleep patterns.
If your cham is going to his sleep spot early(hour or so) but has his eyes open that is normal.
Stress can cause some shutting down and eye closing if your cage doesn't have enough plant cover that could be a cause.
A picture of your cage would help.
If it is none of the above he may have a health problem that should be seen by a vet.

Your humidity during the day is fine but you can cover a side or two or three with plastic to hold more humidity. More plants will help also.

you always come in clutch with these answers! My room is always dark at night except for a really faint purple light for my crested gecko. Maybe it could be noise because I have a fan at night?? I'll send a picture of my cage in the morning since it's almost midnight where I live. There are lots of plants (fake and real) and he has places to hide. I hope he doesn't have a health problem! Thank you for your answer.

@JacksJill

Your enclosure could use more branches and plant cover but it probably isn't bare enough to cause sleeping during the day. I doubt he can hear your fan but he might feel the vibration but I doubt it's that either.
Sheild him from the crested gecko's light at night but if this continues or you see any other signs then I think this will need vet care.
Keep an eye on the corners of his mouth for signs of temporal gland infection and watch his mouth for excessive saliva that could be a RI. Maybe getting a fecal to the vet will show something.

Back
Top Bottom