Sleeping a lot and not eating

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, he's going to be 6 years old.
  • Handling - Once a week or so, he gets stressed with handling.
  • Feeding - Superworms (5-6 times a week)
  • Supplements - I dust with Calcium 7-8 times a month.
  • Watering - Mister 30 second sprays (every 3 hours). I do see him drink.
  • Fecal Description - Droppings are pretty often (daily to ever other day), good color, and shape.
  • History - No history, perfect health since day 1 :)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen Cage - 5' x 3' x 3'
  • Lighting - 60w Basking bulb and UVB bulb.
  • Temperature - 86-88ish for basking and in the mid-high 70s at the bottom of the cage.
  • Humidity - Humidity may be the issue, I've added some siding to the cage to help contain the humidity.
  • Plants - All reptile safe fake plants.
  • Placement - Cage is a few feet off the ground on a platform, its not located near high traffic areas.
  • Location - California US

Current Problem - He has not been eating very often and then yesterday I noticed he has been sitting there under his basking lamp with his eyes closed (he is usually a very dark green). I also noticed he hasn't been pooping either. Now he won't eat at all, he hated crickets at one point so I tried to give him crickets, super-worms, hornworms and he has rejected them all. The second I noticed the extra long basking periods I upped the lamp wattage to 75 because he was clearly not getting enough heat from it in the mornings. I also changed his UVB bulb today because it was running on around 4months. I've also taken him out for a couple of warm water baths to clear up any constipation he may have (to no avail) and he climbs right back into his basking area and sits there (eyes closed). When I took him out I noticed his grip was still very strong. Sorry, i don't have any pictures to post, my laptop is very old and doesn't connect well with other devices. Thank you all!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, he's going to be 6 years old.
  • Handling - Once a week or so, he gets stressed with handling.
  • Feeding - Superworms (5-6 times a week)
Superworms are a treat. They can get addicted to them and will refuse to eat anything else. Only 1-2 a week. He needs variety. How often do you feed him? What does your gutloading consist of?
  • Supplements - I dust with Calcium 7-8 times a month.
He needs calcium without D3 on all feedings except one throughout the week. On that day you alternate between multivitamin and calcium with D3 every other week. So D3 one week then multivitamin the next week.
  • Watering - Mister 30 second sprays (every 3 hours). I do see him drink.
  • Fecal Description - Droppings are pretty often (daily to ever other day), good color, and shape.
  • History - No history, perfect health since day 1 :)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen Cage - 5' x 3' x 3'
  • Lighting - 60w Basking bulb and UVB bulb.
What kind of UVB?
Temperature - 86-88ish for basking and in the mid-high 70s at the bottom of the cage.
  • Humidity - Humidity may be the issue, I've added some siding to the cage to help contain the humidity.
During the day 25-45%. At night 90-100%.
  • Plants - All reptile safe fake plants.
Veileds like to eat there plants. Is there a chance he could of taken a bite of a fake leaf? That could cause him to become impacted.
  • Placement - Cage is a few feet off the ground on a platform, its not located near high traffic areas.
  • Location - California US

Current Problem - He has not been eating very often and then yesterday I noticed he has been sitting there under his basking lamp with his eyes closed (he is usually a very dark green). I also noticed he hasn't been pooping either. Now he won't eat at all, he hated crickets at one point so I tried to give him crickets, super-worms, hornworms and he has rejected them all. The second I noticed the extra long basking periods I upped the lamp wattage to 75 because he was clearly not getting enough heat from it in the mornings. I also changed his UVB bulb today because it was running on around 4months. I've also taken him out for a couple of warm water baths to clear up any constipation he may have (to no avail) and he climbs right back into his basking area and sits there (eyes closed). When I took him out I noticed his grip was still very strong. Sorry, i don't have any pictures to post, my laptop is very old and doesn't connect well with other devices. Thank you all!

I’m not sure why he is basking so much. But it’s a bad sign that he’s sleeping during the day. Are his eyes sunken? I wouldn’t recommend the warm baths that could easily stress him. I haven’t heard of them helping with constipation. You can log into this website off a phone. Maybe then you can add pictures. They’re always helpful.

Thanks! I did just read up on the whole feeding situation on here so i just came back from the store with some large crickets and the flukers food & water gel for them to eat. I do give him D3 once a week but I forgot to add that. I'll be sure to buy the multivitamin right now. Any good brands you recommend? There is a chance he has eaten one of the leaves but I have tried offering him greens his whole life and he outright refuses.

He is older... Be careful raising the temps too much. Just because he is basking more frequently does not mean he is cold. What is your UVB? If it is a screw in compact bulb this can is not adequate for him. You need a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 UVB bulb and basking to be 9 inches below.

You need to be feeding things other then superworms. They need to be properly gutloaded as well.

Supplements... If you have calcium with D3 and without D3 you can add in Reptivite without D3 for the multivitamin. The calcium with D3 and the Reptivite WIthout D3 get rotated week to week at one feeding then at all other feedings you should be dusting with calcium without D3.

What does the Urate portion of his fecal look like? Is it white, mostly white, yellow, orange?

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

It’s usually a pretty bright white. Nothing has changed behind his behavior. He doesn’t seem to be in any pain either. Is it possible he’s just getting old :( - I’m going to head to the pet store tomorrow morning and make sure all my fixtures are up to standards. I’ll also grab that multivitamin you suggested.

It’s usually a pretty bright white. Nothing has changed behind his behavior. He doesn’t seem to be in any pain either. Is it possible he’s just getting old :( - I’m going to head to the pet store tomorrow morning and make sure all my fixtures are up to standards. I’ll also grab that multivitamin you suggested.
Yes it is possible. Post pics when you get a chance too

Update, his behavior is the same. They didn’t have the light fixture at the nearest 3 pet stores so I’m going to order one on amazon. He’s still laying with his eyes closed, he hasn’t eaten, pooped since. When I tap him he wakes up and moved around and then heads back to sleep. I’ve spent all day looking for a vet to help but have called 28 places so far to no avail. They either, don’t treat Chams, they aren’t open until Friday or they are a 2 hr drive which I will stress him out severely. I live in CA zip code 91367 if you have any recommendations please please please reach out to me. Thanks.

@sebastianthechameleon I just saw that @jannb posted this in another thread maybe it will work for you

It may be a bit of a drive to get to a qualified vet that works with Chams. If you put your boy in a box with a towel on the bottom and a low placed stick for him to grip then close up the box he just just sleep on the drive and not have a stress response. But make sure the car is cooled off for him so he does not get too warm.

Tom Greek, DVM
Greek & Associates Veterinary Hospital, 23687 Via Del Rio, Yorba Linda - (714) 463-1190 or (866) 940-7028
www.tomgreek.com

is it normal for a cham to go 6 years without adequate uvb or supplements...? It seems like along time
when the positioning for the UVB is very close to basking banch... yes it can be done... But it is a crap shoot on if they will or won't have issues.

Alrighty guys. He’s back home from the vet and the issue was solved! He should be okay. Basically it was a genetic medical condition where fluids designed for reproduction were building up in his intestines hardened and clogged. They were able to flush it out and he’s alright. I’m saying this for the people who come here after noticing similar issues. Bless you all!

Back
Top Bottom