Sleep

Definitely not normal to sleep with eyes closed during the day. They will go to their sleep spot early but keep their eyes open sometimes and that is normal.
I wish I knew what temperatures you are getting as that would explain a lot.

Hey Addison, I'm happy to see you again reaching out with great questions. For your scenario it might be best to keep your questions in one thread. There's quite a bit that could be addressed and is easier to keep track of in one thread.

If I recall correctly, your little guy went a couple of months without any UVB light at all. Your chameleon probably needs some UVB light in addition to the other suggestions people are making in your other thread.

Chameleons sleep is a bit different than our own sleep. They don't take naps and sleeping pf any kind during the day is a sign that there are larger issues occurring.

Hey Addison, I'm happy to see you again reaching out with great questions. For your scenario it might be best to keep your questions in one thread. There's quite a bit that could be addressed and is easier to keep track of in one thread.

If I recall correctly, your little guy went a couple of months without any UVB light at all. Your chameleon probably needs some UVB light in addition to the other suggestions people are making in your other thread.

Chameleons sleep is a bit different than our own sleep. They don't take naps and sleeping pf any kind during the day is a sign that there are larger issues occurring.
Just gotta interrupt this thread to say that I love your positivity and super friendly attitude. ? Not sure if it’s a gift or skill, but you definitely have it.

Just gotta interrupt this thread to say that I love your positivity and super friendly attitude. ? Not sure if it’s a gift or skill, but you definitely have it.
Seconded!

Thank you both! :)

2020 has given US ALL way too much negativity. Let's spread positivity anywhere and everywhere possible, including caring chameleons owners who are looking for a little help.

When you say you put in the UVB light did you remove the basking bulb. He may now be too cold with out some basking to stay awake.
An inexpensive laser thermometer could really help. Do you already have one for the BBQ perhaps?

This is not just basking? I have a beardie who often basks with his eyes closed, but not sleeping.
I can tell because when he's asleep, his head is down; when basking, he holds it up.
This IS sometimes due to bright lighting (if he's facing toward or away from his basking lamp).

So... is this cham really asleep, or just catching some rays?

This is not just basking? I have a beardie who often basks with his eyes closed, but not sleeping.
I can tell because when he's asleep, his head is down; when basking, he holds it up.
This IS sometimes due to bright lighting (if he's facing toward or away from his basking lamp).

So... is this cham really asleep, or just catching some rays?
So, one thing that is almost unanimous across experienced keepers is that chams don’t have closed eyes during the day, if they’re healthy. When they bask, their eyes remain open. The only time they close they’re eyes during the day is if they are directly misted, and only as long as they are being misted. This has also been my experience.

Back
Top Bottom