Skin stuck, first shed with her

Issywood

Hi, we got our female yeman on boxing day, so 2 weeks ago tomorrow. The pet shop said that she had just came out of a shed. However ever since she has had little bits of skin stuck all over her, and I have misted her with warm water and it won't come off. And she won't let me handle her or even go near. It doesn't seem to be effecting her but...

Attachments

• 20161226_170128.jpg
    20161226_170128.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20161226_143620_651.jpg
    IMG_20161226_143620_651.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 147
misting should be working.... Just keep trying to mist her. It should help if you do it 5 or 6 times a day.

You could try the shower method to loosen the shed.
"Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method."
This is usually done for hydration but good hydration and nutrition help with shedding.

I had problems with CJ not being able to shed. My house is very dry in the winter and he was head to toe ashy with not a sign of the skin coming off. I bought a warm mist humidifier and put it next to the screen side of his cage and draped a sheet of thick plastic drop cloth over the whole side with the humidifier under the plastic sheet. Within 48 hours he shed completely and looks like he is going to shed again. As another person replied keep a close eye on toes and tail so they do not become necrotic if a band of skin gets stuck. It can act like a tourniquet and cut off the circulation. I don't have a shower that I could put him in but I thought the water should be a little warmer than room temp to create some steam and help increase the humidity around the chameleon.

@Issywood if the picture shows the stuck shed you are worried about, it is not a problem. The really worrisome areas are around the toes, legs and tail where the dry shed can shrink and cut of the blood circulation. Then you can have a big problem.

Other areas that tend to get stuck shed is the spikes on their back and throat and skin that is scared.

If you want to get that off, just mist her down, let the dry skin soak up water and then just gently wipe if off. Don't be aggressive getting it off, just gently wipe. If it doesn't come off, just leave it.

The worry with stuck shed is that bacteria will get in and cause an infection.

Improper sheds are usually husbandry issues--increase humidity is a biggie.

Enjoy your baby! She's very cute.

Such a cute little baby. Try a warm misting or bath and gently wipe her. Make sure it doesnt bunch up and cut off circulation near the limbs or tail though. It will become a problem if it does stay. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom