Skin Disease??

JoeG

It started out last week as a blister looking water sac in her armpit last week. I didn't take any pics because it looked like it was healing but after she shed yesterday it clearly looked worse. It turned blackish & crusty. Has anybody seen anything like this ? Not sure if there is an ointment I can apply to it.

Last edited:
May be fungal in nature, cant say for sure. (you know this is coming :)), Ask your vet!

If you want to have a bash at topical DIY treatment, Id go with painting it daily, twice, with povodine-iodine solution (sometimes called betadine. If this shows no improvement after a week or so, try an over the counter anti fungal cream such as Canesten Clotrimazole.

Best wishes :)

I'd say go to the vet asap! Fungal infections can be really bad in reptiles, chams in particular, and it's not something you want to waste time with. A culture asap so you know what you're dealing with would be your best bet so you can treat it correctly the first time.

GiJoe, tell us about your setup and in particular your humidity and any mistig system you may use? You say it was blistered, which leads me beleive it may be something to do with too high humidity (possibly, not necessarily) Blister disease seen in snakes and lizards, generally on their undersides often begins as you describe.
Mostly due to damp and unsanitory conditions, particularly in susceptible (sick or immunocompromised animals).
Not saying this is the case, however there may be something in your setup/husbandry thats been overlooked that may have contributed. Just guessing at this point, vet is really best option. :)

GiJoe, tell us about your setup and in particular your humidity and any mistig system you may use? You say it was blistered, which leads me beleive it may be something to do with too high humidity (possibly, not necessarily) Blister disease seen in snakes and lizards, generally on their undersides often begins as you describe.
Mostly due to damp and unsanitory conditions, particularly in susceptible (sick or immunocompromised animals).
Not saying this is the case, however there may be something in your setup/husbandry thats been overlooked that may have contributed. Just guessing at this point, vet is really best option. :)

She probably was weakened from when she laid eggs a couple weeks ago. I posted a thread about her tongue sticking out back then. I was giving her liquid calcium & reptaid, helping her eat & drink until last week when she started to eat on her own. Then the water under the arm turned to this. Basking spot is 85 & down low about 70. Humidity averages 50 %. Her cage & the rest are kept clean. Automatic misting 5 times per day 2 short 30 seconds, 2- 1 minute & 1- 2 minute. It dries out between mistings & at night.

When the mister goes off, does it saturate all parts of the cage? If you can arrange it, it might be a good idea to ensure only one side or the other gets rained on, leaving one side dry. Remember, it dosent rain 5 times everyday in nature. :)
Did you notice the spot developing or not till it was blister like?
Weather you treat the spot topically yourself or have vet treatment, it wont hurt to bump up the temp by maybe 5 degrees until it heals.

When the mister goes off, does it saturate all parts of the cage? If you can arrange it, it might be a good idea to ensure only one side or the other gets rained on, leaving one side dry. Remember, it dosent rain 5 times everyday in nature. :)
Did you notice the spot developing or not till it was blister like?

Noticed it suddenly it looked like there was water under the skin drooping downward mostly under the armpit. The mister sprays to one side of the cage & I have a dripper on the other side. Are any of those ointments you mentioned common household items?

Yes mate both are, you should be able to buy them from any pharmacy over the counter.
:)

Clotrimazole-Cream-Anti-Fungal-Cream-.jpg

us_Betadine_ointment_15gms_otc.jpg

Last edited:
Some of the fungal infections need more than just a topical ointment to cure them and can kill the chameleon if that isn't done. IMHO it would be best not to do anything to it until you see a vet and have some testing done.

Back
Top Bottom