Skin color!!!!!

kenx2y

Hey guys! My WC jackson's skin is so dark most of the time... Is it beacause she's young? I think she's about 5 months old now... I am not really sure... Her size is just as long as my finger. I tried to ask some people in the petstore, but they don't know why also... They just asked me to put some plants and sticks... But I have put them in the cage already... And also, her skin just came off about 1 month ago. And she does eat, but i just saw her drink few times when i spray water on the fake plants.

Also, I took her outside and tried to give her some suntan couple times... But she felt really stressfull. Her body just became so small... I mean her muscle just became so tight.

Hope you guys can tell me what's happening with her... Thx!

Howdy,

What are the temperatures at the basking spot and elsewhere? Dark skin can be an indication that she is cold, stressed, sick etc.

I m not sure wt the temperatures are in the cage. But i m living in Hawaii and I also use a 70 watt light for her. I think this may be not a problem.

Well if you don't know the temperatures, It surely IS a problem even if it isnt the reason she is dark in colouration. Use a DIGITAL thermometer to measure temperatures in the specific basking area.

Okay i will do it asap!
But is it because she can't get suntan, that's why her skin can't be green?

My cage area temperature is about 80-85... So any problem?

I m using a 18"W X 12"D X 20"H cage, so how many watts of lamps is fine? I am using a 60 one...

By the way, she feels so stressful when i take her out. I am thinking to buy a UV lamp for her. So if i use the UV light, is it she doesn't have to get suntan outside? Also, i saw many different of UV lamps... Some are only UVB, Some only UVA... Some of them have both... So which one does she need?

Thx for the replies again!

My cage area temperature is about 80-85... So any problem?

I m using a 18"W X 12"D X 20"H cage, so how many watts of lamps is fine? I am using a 60 one...

By the way, she feels so stressful when i take her out. I am thinking to buy a UV lamp for her. So if i use the UV light, is it she doesn't have to get suntan outside? Also, i saw many different of UV lamps... Some are only UVB, Some only UVA... Some of them have both... So which one does she need?

Thx for the replies again!

When you say, "cage" are you referring to a glass enclosure? If so, when they see their own reflection in the glass, it stresses them because they think it is another cham.

Steve

your chameleon could also be gravid. you said it is wild caught so you don't know the exact age you also said you aught a male and put it in the cage and she got mad. my female jackson lived fine with the male until 2 weeks after i caught them breeding. this year i bought a gravid female jackson on 8/20/06 and i asked the guy how old it was and he said 9 months and on 10/6/06 she had 12 live babies, 1 dead, and 3 slugs. that the told me she wasn't 9months old becuase it take 6-9months to give birth. let the chameleon stay outside in a screen enclosure unless it is really cold outside and see if she does any better

Yes I am using a screen enclosure cage acually...
Anyway, she's pretty fine now after i put the light closer...
I think that's really the temperatures problem.
I didn't really care the temperatures cuz i thought hawaii's weather is not a problem.
But these few weeks's pretty cold that's y maybe...
Anyway thx you so much guys!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom