silkworms

Nemesis

Avid Member
Where do you guys get your silkworms? I've looked at the site sponsors and shipping costs more than the silkworms itself. Any place you know with decent shipping prices? I live in NJ

Where do you guys get your silkworms? I've looked at the site sponsors and shipping costs more than the silkworms itself. Any place you know with decent shipping prices? I live in NJ
@snitz427 sells silkworms, try and send her a message.

Otherwise, that's how it goes with everything... shipping is the cost you pay. I personally bought eggs through Mulberry Farms [who I no longer recommend to anyone as they have MISERABLE "customer service"...]. I've since been able to hatch moths and get eggs from those original eggs. You can pretty much expect to pay 1.50-2.50 per worm with shipping... or the eggs cost about 0.06 each with food. [I think it is about $30 with shipping for 500 eggs and food]. Its also not easy to find worms as most retailers sell out super quick as they're really popular.

I also know Costal Silkworms sells them.

Best of luck!

I actually just joined i am a silkworm breeder in Nj as well! i am taking pre-orders on my silkies in bulk. I take great pride in what i produce and would love to help you! I hand select which moths and worms i allow to become moths to reproduce I don't want anything less than prime silkies for everyone's pets. They deserve the best!

I actually just joined i am a silkworm breeder in Nj as well! i am taking pre-orders on my silkies in bulk. I take great pride in what i produce and would love to help you! I hand select which moths and worms i allow to become moths to reproduce I don't want anything less than prime silkies for everyone's pets. They deserve the best!
Welcome to the forum. Would you be willing to quote pricing and shipping costs on the forum?

Yes of course it varies on what amount you are looking for and the size. And depending on the amount ordered i can do pricing for food in an insect cup or i will do a box (max silkworms per box is 200) with food on the side or if you have your own food i can remove that cost as well. keep in mind i am just starting my bulk orders so they wont be ready until at minimum a month if not 2. I have a couple of companies buying wholesale so it's a lot of preparing and tediously watching to make sure everyone is in peak condition.

I just got an order from morrifeeders they have a flat rate shipping option that was budget friendly I believe they ship from East coast so you'd get them faster than I do

Curious what criteria you use to select your breeding silks and moths?

Curious what criteria you use to select your breeding silks and moths?
Hi sorry i just saw this. So some places when they raise silkworms when temperatures are not correct and humidity is too high or low when moths crawl out of the cocoon their wings will be wrinkled and they are a little smaller and weaker. So when i raise them up to cocoons i check to make sure i dont notice any signs of distress, no small wrinkled wings, no smaller than normal bodies, and that they are moving around and lively. That was a great question though ! I notice a drop in fertility of the eggs when the parent is not as healthy as they should be.

I missed this thread somehow. A few of the sponsors, including myself (MoriFeeders) sell silks. @snitz427 is a great source of information and feeders too.

Pricing is very dependent on time of year and supply. Shipping cost is part of buying live things. You can find businesses that will ship your insects for free using USPS Parcel Select or First Class in < 40 degrees with a 12hr heat pack (+$1). But good luck receiving anything alive and fighting for refunds/reships. A few members here have ordered recently and chose the cheapest shipping option we have available. We upgraded the shipping at our own expense to get them there alive. We lost money on those orders ($32 shipping on a $21 order...). USPS is notoriously unreliable this time of year (Black Friday, Cyber Monday), so many businesses refuse to ship USPS until January.

Until a business can grow enough to get good express shipping rates, bulk supplies, etc, the margins are realllly low for most insect feeders. I’d say if you’re concerned about spending more on shipping than on the product, buying live animals during the winter time is not for you.

We have shipped out over 35,000 silkworms this week so far! Temps in Virginia have been okay.

I missed this thread somehow. A few of the sponsors, including myself (MoriFeeders) sell silks. @snitz427 is a great source of information and feeders too.

Pricing is very dependent on time of year and supply. Shipping cost is part of buying live things. You can find businesses that will ship your insects for free using USPS Parcel Select or First Class in < 40 degrees with a 12hr heat pack (+$1). But good luck receiving anything alive and fighting for refunds/reships. A few members here have ordered recently and chose the cheapest shipping option we have available. We upgraded the shipping at our own expense to get them there alive. We lost money on those orders ($32 shipping on a $21 order...). USPS is notoriously unreliable this time of year (Black Friday, Cyber Monday), so many businesses refuse to ship USPS until January.

Until a business can grow enough to get good express shipping rates, bulk supplies, etc, the margins are realllly low for most insect feeders. I’d say if you’re concerned about spending more on shipping than on the product, buying live animals during the winter time is not for you.

We have shipped out over 35,000 silkworms this week so far! Temps in Virginia have been okay.
any tips on how to hatch eggs ?? do they need to be placed in a fridge or is that just to store them ?

any tips on how to hatch eggs ?? do they need to be placed in a fridge or is that just to store them ?
Refrigeration is only required to break diapause. If your eggs were produced in such a way that they enter diapause, you’ll need to refrigerate for a certain amount of time before you can hatch them.

It all depends on your source and how the eggs were produced.

Thanks for the shout out! 35k silkworms in a week!?! HOLY CRAP!

Refrigeration is only required to break diapause. If your eggs were produced in such a way that they enter diapause, you’ll need to refrigerate for a certain amount of time before you can hatch them.

It all depends on your source and how the eggs were produced.
i had a few females lay eggs , the turned dark in color after about a day , i'm just unsure if they need to be placed in a fridge for a while then taken out for them to hatch .

Back
Top Bottom