silkworms

i had a few females lay eggs , the turned dark in color after about a day , i'm just unsure if they need to be placed in a fridge for a while then taken out for them to hatch .
  • Where did you get the worms that produced the eggs?
  • Describe the environmental conditions you raised the worms in.

• Where did you get the worms that produced the eggs?
  • Describe the environmental conditions you raised the worms in.
I got them from Rainbow meal worms , I keep them in a small clear bin in the closet that stays about 72F and about 65 at night . the eggs were laid yesterday and have since been kept in a small cup in the same closet !

I got them from Rainbow meal worms , I keep them in a small clear bin in the closet that stays about 72F and about 65 at night . the eggs were laid yesterday and have since been kept in a small cup in the same closet !
These will produce eggs that will enter diapause a few days after oviposition. I would let them develop for a few days, then into the fridge for ~60 days at 70%rh-80%rh ~40F +-2F. Humidity might be the most crucial aspect of refrigeration. Eggs will begin to dry out and die if exposed to rh below 50ish...

These will produce eggs that will enter diapause a few days after oviposition. I would let them develop for a few days, then into the fridge for ~60 days at 70%rh-80%rh ~40F +-2F. Humidity might be the most crucial aspect of refrigeration. Eggs will begin to dry out and die if exposed to rh below 50ish...
How can you determine if your eggs have died or are still viable?

How can you determine if your eggs have died or are still viable?
The easiest way is whether they hatch or not. You can follow their growth under a microscope, but it’s honestly much easier to stick to a schedule and if they hatch - they hatch.
We monitor batches somewhat frequently, but only around the time we expect to see changes inside the eggs. Here’s some eggs we found pretty interesting. It rarely happens, but we have seen it a few times. No noticeable decrease/increase in survivability though.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4tpiTdBlcJ

Edit: Dried eggs will normally have a triangular dent in them. I’ll try to find a picture...

Back
Top Bottom