Silkworms and Hydration?

carol5208

Chameleon Enthusiast
I noticed that since I have been feeding my cham silkworms he never seems to drink (atleast not in front of me). He always used to though. After just seeing the pics of "Feeder Feeding" I was suprised how much liquid comes out of a silkworm. My cham used to drink when i would mist and drink from the dripper. I have not seen him do this in a good week. Yesterday his urate was white, as it has been all the other days. Today it was whitish orange. I got some feedback on Jann B our resident expert and she said they are very good for hydration. But is it enough? I have tried everything to get him to drink, even from an eye dropper but he wont take one drink! Just wanted to get some additonal feedback if anyone else notices this if they feed their cham silkworms. He right now is pretty much refusing crickets so I have been feeding him silks and supers. He seems fine, eating, active, etc,

that is very good advice. id suggest a good wet gutload for your feeders aswell. also, worst comes to worst, you could inject crix with water. if your cham has been drinking fine from the methods youve been using, dont change them, maybe just offer more water & if the urates get worse, id suggest the shower technique.

some chams just wont drink in front of you most of the time

silk worms are good for hydration but
I would still be misting him and maybe leave a
dripper going through the day

I am definitely using the dripper all day and doing the mistings as well. Just kinda noticed this trend since I was feeding the silks and was wondering if this was just a coincidence. Thank you all for your feedback. I learn everyday on this forum!

Silkworms and Hornwoms have tons of water inside of them. They are great feeders for dehydrated chameleons.

Most chams are closet drinkers.... the best way to tell is to watch the color of the urate.

well you seem to be doing everything right

keep up the misting just in case though cause they still
need the humidity

Back
Top Bottom