Dehydration

ChamelaChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Since I started using grasshoppers as staple feeders, Carmelo only wants grasshoppers. Initially, he would eat 2 hoppers and 1 hornworn. For the last 30 days he has refused to eat horn worms or any other feeders. He only wants grasshoppers. I skipped a feeding day, offered him a hornworm and he just looked at it. It died in the cage.

He is showing signs of dehydration. Urates are small with half peach, half white coloring. Eyes have more wrinkles than normal.

1. I have a dripper going for 6 hours
2. I increased showers to 3 minutes. There's no way to avoid the spray hitting him.
3. Starting tonight, I'm gonna use the fogger for 6 hours.

Is there something else I can implement to help with hydration? I've never seen him drink. He watches the dripper drip, drip and never takes a sip.
20230807_125114.jpg

Since I started using grasshoppers as staple feeders, Carmelo only wants grasshoppers. Initially, he would eat 2 hoppers and 1 hornworn. For the last 30 days he has refused to eat horn worms or any other feeders. He only wants grasshoppers. I skipped a feeding day, offered him a hornworm and he just looked at it. It died in the cage.

He is showing signs of dehydration. Urates are small with half peach, half white coloring. Eyes have more wrinkles than normal.

1. I have a dripper going for 6 hours
2. I increased showers to 3 minutes. There's no way to avoid the spray hitting him.
3. Starting tonight, I'm gonna use the fogger for 6 hours.

Is there something else I can implement to help with hydration? I've never seen him drink. He watches the dripper drip, drip and never takes a sip.View attachment 341507
I'm not sure if this will work since he's ignoring the hornworm, but ever since I've been feeding my veiled silkworms his urates have been almost completely white (usually 1 silkworm per day--he's not fully an adult yet I think so still growing). I've only seen mine drinking once, and for other hydration, I hand mist 2-3 minutes morning before lights on and evening before lights off

Carmelo is an adult of unknown age. He is stubborn x stubborn. He will not eat other feeders. Silkworms, dubia, wax worms, bsfl - all a no. Once, he went on a 19 day no eating strike.

I think I'm gonna turn off his lights mid day for a temp drop and give him a mid day spray. Then turn his lights back on.

I’m wondering if maybe he has something else going on besides dehydration. Has he been tested for parasites?
Ditto here. I wouldn’t think grasshoppers would cause dehydration. It’s ok for urates to have some orange on one end, but you’re right about his eyes. Although it may be nothing more than an addiction to grasshoppers, it wouldn’t be a bad idea for a vet visit with fecal and labs.

Ditto here. I wouldn’t think grasshoppers would cause dehydration. It’s ok for urates to have some orange on one end, but you’re right about his eyes. Although it may be nothing more than an addiction to grasshoppers, it wouldn’t be a bad idea for a vet visit with fecal and labs.
The grasshoppers can't cause dehydration. Just that he does not eat the hornworms to supplement hydration. Im watching for fresh fecal. The Vet will do a fecal anytime, I just need fresh poo. I'm gonna remove a few plants to get poo
I’m wondering if maybe he has something else going on besides dehydration. Has he been tested for parasites?
Last fecal was January 2023. He was parasite free. He was treated for Giardia last December. I'm looking for fresh poo for a fecal.

Poor baby, looks like he is starting a shed too....he is having a rough day...

Out of curiosity how much and how often do you feed him? His casque and cheeks look a little puffed out to me, which can be a sign of being overweight.

Yes, he's been overweight since I adopted him. He started at 232g, he's currently at 208g. I feed him 2 hoppers and 1 hornworm every other day - 3 times a week and sometimes 2 times a week. He has lost weight everywhere but his casque. He almost has those skinny Cham legs.

With the grasshoppers, he's done after eating 2. Once, I offered him 3 hoppers (no hornworns). He didn't eat the 3rd hopper.

Yes, he's been overweight since I adopted him. He started at 232g, he's currently at 208g. I feed him 2 hoppers and 1 hornworm every other day - 3 times a week and sometimes 2 times a week. He has lost weight everywhere but his casque. He almost has those skinny Cham legs.

With the grasshoppers, he's done after eating 2. Once, I offered him 3 hoppers (no hornworns). He didn't eat the 3rd hopper.
Oh good I'm glad to hear that.

Back
Top Bottom