Veiled laying on branch.

ChamelaChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Carmelo is not himself. This started last week. He is
laying on a branch all day. Eyes are more wrinkled than normal. He has gained more weight but he eats very little. I weighed him last week at 271g. He had his annual check up the first week of October. He did not have a fecal. Last Friday his fecal was a large urate (he had a large hornworm on Thursday) with poop that was not formed. Im feeding him 1 grasshopper 3 days a week and 2 hornworms 2 times a week. I changed his uvb 3 months ago. I really need a fecal but he has not pooped since Friday. I a fecal the only method to check for parasites?

He never turns down grasshoppers. He has 2 in his cage and he just looks at them and turns his head away. He had this same behavior a month ago. I thought he couldn't shoot his tongue. Then right before the vet visit he shoots perfectly.

He never turns down grasshoppers. He has 2 in his cage and he just looks at them and turns his head away. He had this same behavior a month ago. I thought he couldn't shoot his tongue. Then right before the vet visit he shoots perfectly.
Little stink. Do you want to do a husbandry review to see if we can offer any advice?

Sounds like he’s not feeling that great…does he look bloated around the abdomen at all? The weight gain and decreased appetite would concern me, but if he hasn’t been pooping that could be a cause as well. Not sure about swabbing for a fecal, maybe they could do a smear but it wouldn’t be as accurate.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Reptizoo 2x2x4 screened w/ full plexiglass attached to both sides and a 1/4 on the back.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptizoo UVB T5HO, regular 75w household bulb. Heat light 9am-3pm, UVB 8am-8pm.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Daytime ambient 75 - 81, bottom to top. Night time temp 68 with the help of a cool mist humidifier. Humidifier runs 8pm-6am. Basking branch ~78, Top of cage screen ~87. No screen climbing.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Daytime Humidity ~ 40, Night time is a struggle ~ 65%. Humidifier 8pm-6am, Fogger 10pm-6am every otherday. Temps/humidity are measured with 2 probe hygrometers/thermometer - 1 at screen top heat lamp, 1 at basking branch. I will install Govee monitors soon.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live plants- pothos, croton, and money tree.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In a no traffic bedroom, away from the a/c vent, top of cage at 7ft.
Location - Where are you geographically located? TEXAS - We are in a season change!

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned laying on branch, eyes are more wrinkled than normal, extra grumpy, not eatin
20231025_122017.jpg
g, no poop since Friday. Last poop was a huge all white urate with poop that was not formed. He had a huge hornworm the day before.

Attachments

• 20231025_121611.jpg
    20231025_121611.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20231025_121546.jpg
    20231025_121546.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20231025_121428.jpg
    20231025_121428.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20231025_121306.jpg
    20231025_121306.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20231025_121229.jpg
    20231025_121229.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231025_121234.jpg
    20231025_121234.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20231025_121125.jpg
    20231025_121125.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 31
These pics were taken 5 minutes ago. His grip is super strong. I do know that he likes 83 at basking so I just increasd the heat at the basking branch.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Veiled - age unknown. Adopted. He's been in my care 1 year.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

3 times a week I take him outside for fresh air and exercise. He likes to climb the tree swing.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Feeding 1 grasshopper 3 times aweek and 1 hornworm 2 times a week. He refuses to eat other feedrrs. Gut load - fresh leafy greens, fruit, bug burger.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

Repashy supercla NoD -daily dusting - Reptivite w/D3 - 1st and 15th

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a dripper for 5 hours. Hand misting 2 minutes before lights on and before lights out. He is a secret drinker.

Fecal: Last fecal was Friday. A large all white urate with poop that was not formed. The poop looked like dirt. No poop since Friday.

Just from seeing these pics I think something might be up and may need to get some blood work done. He looks pretty puffy in the casque area, cheeks, and gular area. Your supplement schedule looks adequate so it is probably not related. How long has he been puffy?

Oh ok, I saw he was adopted it not sure of his history. Has he ever had blood work to check his organ function? I know that liver disfunction can cause edema. With the feeding schedule you have him on, he should be losing weight and not gaining.

No he's never had blood work. I have a vet visit scheduled. I found the missing grasshopper. That means he hasn't eaten since Sunday. Carmelo has been known to hunger strike for long periods. The longest being 19 days. I don't know his history or age. He was adopted from a animal shelter.

Last edited:
He is now starting a shed on his tail. I really hate that he basically sheds some part of his body monthly. He never has a full shed and shed is always left on his skin. Ugh!

He is now starting a shed on his tail. I really hate that he basically sheds some part of his body monthly. He never has a full shed and shed is always left on his skin. Ugh!
This is normal for adults, so don't stress! Lol 😊
Leftover shed could be humidity issues or just the particular spot that is shedding, sometimes my guys will have spots that hang around for a while.

No he's never had blood work. I have a vet visit scheduled. I found the missing grasshopper. That means he hasn't eaten since Sunday. Carmelo has been known to hunger strike for long periods. The longest being 19 days. I don't know his history or age. He was adopted from a animal shelter.
I would request blood work to see if there is something going on with his liver or kidneys. It’s tough not knowing his history. Hopefully the vet can get to the bottom of it and get him back to normal.

How is he doing today?
Same. Just laying under the basking lamp. At some point he moves to the Money Tree. I increased his basking temp to 83. Although the Ambient temp in my home is 77, it feels colder than 77 because we are changing seasons. I just checked on him, pics below. He fired up and put on his leave me alone spots as soon as I walked in the room!
20231026_123639.jpg

Back
Top Bottom