Silkworm to silk moth

I had 3 silks that went cocoon on me. Two of them have turned yellow. How long until they try to emerge after they turn yellow? How do you know when you have to help them by cutting them out?

I had 3 silks that went cocoon on me. Two of them have turned yellow. How long until they try to emerge after they turn yellow? How do you know when you have to help them by cutting them out?
All my zebras spun yellow silk so that’s prob it. Typically it takes 2-3 weeks. I had a bunch spin around Thanksgiving and they are starting to emerge. Most if not all of mine come out on their own just fine. The only time I had to assist was when 2 spun together and the cocoon was super thick.

I had some moths hatch last night F2054376-8332-4CA2-A840-79C4F2B98C56.jpeg

Yes I agree with cutting them out. If you careful move the cocoon near your ear you can feel and hear the pupae inside. If you don’t hear it, most times the moth as hatched and is not able to get out or the worm died during the pupaeing stage. If you cut a small slit at the end of the cocoon then I slowly cut around the cocoon until the moth starting sticking their head out. Then we will let them crawl out. Then typically we get peed on as a “ thank you”.

Back
Top Bottom