Silkworm journey

Those facial close-ups are impressive! Good job!

Here's one of my pics from last year. I wanted to share it because it is cute / funny in my opinion.
Apparently it tastes better upside down:

Attachments

• DSC02309.JPG
    DSC02309.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 62
Nice job! At first I was like -- Why is there a picture of a taco? Adjusted my glasses and bam! There are so may chowing on that one piece. Must be DIGIORNO chow. --- little tricks of the trade. (y)
Thanks for sharing.

I was going to move them into a clean container with fresh food (mix). Instead I washed out the container getting rid of all the poop.
There seemed to be a lot of uneaten chow mix so re-mixed, rinsed, and put them back in.
For this journey it is now testing if the original 1/2lb mix is enough to get them to cocoon. I have seen wonderful pictures and think they will be changing in the next week or two.

Input would be greatly appreciated since I am trying to not google for information and learn from each other here (very difficult but do-able).
So these guys and gal (White's Tree Frogs aka Dumpy- not to get mistaken for the older Dumpy's that were imported from Australia) are wondering when they get to help clean up the silkies.

FYI: These will not be food but we will see if we can get some breeding moths, eggs and then food. So expecting a few more months and our Silkworm Journey will come to an end..

Attachments

• PXL_20210414_134738255.jpg
    PXL_20210414_134738255.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20210414_134742037.jpg
    PXL_20210414_134742037.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20210414_140031435.jpg
    PXL_20210414_140031435.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20210414_140033306.jpg
    PXL_20210414_140033306.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20210414_140240564.jpg
    PXL_20210414_140240564.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20210414_140247960.jpg
    PXL_20210414_140247960.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 63
I was going to move them into a clean container with fresh food (mix).
I would think your mulberry trees would be budding by now(?)

Input would be greatly appreciated since I am trying to not google for information and learn from each other here (very difficult but do-able).
I'm sorry, I don't follow that logic. I often post google searches on topics to present many different ideas/POVs. There may be some bad info out there, but there are plenty of good ideas & info too.

There seems to be a lot of poop building up over their food. Try keeping the container tilted so that the poop will fall to one area, keeping the food a bit cleaner. Amazing how fast they grow!

MissSkittles:::::: Thanks! I was waiting to see if mold was going to develop (testing limits because I wanted to try an anti-mold product and see if it would harm a worm- singular) I have personality problem always wanting to experiment or many would say reckless actions.

Funny, I had the container up with all poop dropping to the bottom but the bigger worms would not hold their body weight so 3 days ago, I laid it flat. I read someone sharing " they eat and poop" so true. The container is clean as of 7:00 A.M. I forgot to add the cleaner pic. :D

I even thought someone was going to call me out on the poop... YOU WIN! lol

Klyde O'Scope said: I'm sorry, I don't follow that logic. I often post google searches on topics to present many different ideas/POVs. There may be some bad info out there, but there are plenty of good ideas & info too.

Redhorse said: ha ha My bad, don't be sorry you can't follow my logic. since I can't follow yours either. If I did, there would be no need for any Forums since all information is already out there if researched enough. Then you would need something else to do during your retirement. :)(y)

Yep! I gave in to logic a long time ago. I just want to help and be nice. Simple, right? Not, since not everyone has the same logic.. Peace!
AND will enjoy your next comment, since I need to learn new logic.

Attachments

• PXL_20210414_162546753.jpg
    PXL_20210414_162546753.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Klyde O'Scope said: I'm sorry, I don't follow that logic. I often post google searches on topics to present many different ideas/POVs. There may be some bad info out there, but there are plenty of good ideas & info too.

Redhorse said: ha ha My bad, don't be sorry you can't follow my logic. since I can't follow yours either. If I did, there would be no need for any Forums since all information is already out there if researched enough. Then you would need something else to do during your retirement. :)(y)
That doesn't follow either. Of course there would still be a need for forums. Many articles don't have a way to ask questions, discuss, or tell the author you can't follow their logic or that they're idiots and don't know what they're talking about. Articles, scientific papers, studies, and others are expressions of ideas and information. Forums are the both expressions and exchange of ideas & information. They've been around in one form or another (e.g. Usenet) since before there was an "internet."

There also needs to be places for people to gripe vent about bad vendors, products, & experiences; praise good ones, post pics of their lizards and their 💩... etc., etc., etc.

To draw an analogy, getting information exclusively from here (some of which may have come from elsewhere originally anyway) is kind of like going to a public library (Does anyone remember those?) and only considering the books on the featured shelf in front, forsaking the whole rest of the library. If that's what someone wants, OK, but it seems awfully limiting. Colleges & Universities have both required courses and electives not related to one's major because they ostensibly believe a more well-rounded education is preferable to a limited one.

I was going to move them into a clean container with fresh food (mix). Instead I washed out the container getting rid of all the poop.
There seemed to be a lot of uneaten chow mix so re-mixed, rinsed, and put them back in.
For this journey it is now testing if the original 1/2lb mix is enough to get them to cocoon. I have seen wonderful pictures and think they will be changing in the next week or two.

So these guys and gal (White's Tree Frogs aka Dumpy- not to get mistaken for the older Dumpy's that were imported from Australia) are wondering when they get to help clean up the silkies.

FYI: These will not be food but we will see if we can get some breeding moths, eggs and then food. So expecting a few more months and our Silkworm Journey will come to an end..
I completely forgot to tell you that your frogs are awesome! 🥰

Klyde O Scope-
Your right, I have no logic. So! I declare this a "not logical" Chameleon Feeder Forum. Problem solved. Have a peaceful day.

See fun

MissSkittles-
Just wanted to share some growth pics. Some are going on 5 years now...
Just needed to get the tadpole to frog experience and it has not stopped yet... Once I can figure out short videos I will let you hear how crazy loud they can be (NIGHTLY). 😵 To their defense, most of the time I start croaking and they just follow along.

Attachments

• 0416191928a.jpg
    0416191928a.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 0422191548a.jpg
    0422191548a.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 0424190727.jpg
    0424190727.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 0427191044.jpg
    0427191044.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 0503191910 (1).jpg
    0503191910 (1).jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 0519191802.jpg
    0519191802.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191115082124948_COVER.jpg
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191115082124948_COVER.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20191210_140441_01.jpg
    IMG_20191210_140441_01.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20200414_174101.jpg
    IMG_20200414_174101.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 63
@redhorse, I just wanted to give you some advanced warning about when they approach their time to cocoon. Perhaps you already know, but just in case I wanted to let you know that when caterpillars enter their pre-pupal stage, they will begin wandering in order to find a place to make their cocoons. It'll begin following the gut dump. If you are using an open container, it is something to keep in mind.

@redhorse, do you see the heartbeat on any of them, yet? That also becomes very evident before they pupate. I am not 100% sure, but I think your worms may have another molt before they are ready.

Perfect! I did not know.. I think someone mentioned the "gut dump" earlier (forgive me if it was you).

Always good to get information multiple time, since others might read from a different point... Thanks!

Heartbeat??? WOW!

Didn't know you can but will get a nice video of it.. Thanks for the advanced warning, needed it.

I am still trying to figure out the head capsules.. I have not seen any since the 1st week. I take a few pictures everyday too.

Last edited:
See!
I would have assumed it was the contraction of the digestive system. Not even thinking it was a heartbeat. Thanks!
Now you have triggered my interest to look up the anatomy of a Silkworm..

Plus, that one on video is super spoiled, eating by itself. :) (y)

She was very spoiled. She's alone because the other eight worms died of disease. She will become that huge silk moth from one of my earlier pictures.

Next will be learning about the diseases, I did see some titles that look informative. Thanks for your patience too.
I am finding information about having a heartbeat but no pics yet (bisection type). Others are referring to it as a pulse, (what is causing the pulse) I would think the heart is causing it. I have to keep looking but if you find pic of a heart, please post... Thanks!

Not giving up!! :)

Next will be learning about the diseases, I did see some titles that look informative. Thanks for your patience too.
I am finding information about having a heartbeat but no pics yet (bisection type). Others are referring to it as a pulse, (what is causing the pulse) I would think the heart is causing it. I have to keep looking but if you find pic of a heart, please post... Thanks!

Not giving up!! :)
I didn’t look thru all of this yet, but it is interesting. https://hbmahesh.weebly.com/uploads/3/4/2/2/3422804/4.anatomy_of_silkworm_bombyx_mori.pdf

No problem. I love talking about silkworms (and other caterpillars). I just finished reading a book on moth biology and behavior, and it mentions in one chapter that in China and taiwan, they use the droppings of the silkworms to make tea. I suggested this to someone at work and he is willing to give this a try.

Back
Top Bottom