Silkworm journey

Klyde O'Scope I have no clue- so in the dark and will accept what others say. I just don't care for the odor or the idea of escaping reality (I might be in trouble for that comment---don't drink either).(y)

Last edited:
Is that what buds look like?
*been a very long long time since I knew about that stuff.
1617723987569.png

There is always something to compare to in the water.. The Fringehead---Love it!!!
Seahorses (the mysterious redhorse) are the chameleons of the sea.. Minus the tongue but has gills instead (my impression).
But this is a silkworm journey... so few updates.

Attachments

• fringehead.jpg
    fringehead.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 68
  • redhorse.jpg
    redhorse.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20210407_162022191.jpg
    PXL_20210407_162022191.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20210407_162039705.jpg
    PXL_20210407_162039705.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 65
Ha ha Klyde O'Scope---- You missed the most important part of my comment. "(my impression)" The seahorse can grow cirri and change colors to blend in but takes time.

https://tonmo.com/
If you are interested in cephalopods- forum just like this..

I have had Octopus as pets and as a food source. Collecting them in the Philippines, Okinawa Japan, Hawaii and many in California (one place we caught and released 16 in a short 100 yard area).

I have had as pets a few cuttlefish at different times. Almost had a nautilus when they were available at the Saltwater stores. Luckily I was able to find some good info not recommending for aquarium hobby.

Cuttlefish would be my recommendation to have as a pet. You can purchase eggs and find small shrimp for them to eat (fresh or saltwater ones)... Well worth the experience. I purchased my eggs from a Captive breeder who then took his experience to California Science Academy and started a cuttlefish program with the CSA. But, because he was now working for CSA, he could no longer work and sell to the public..
It is an educational/institution thing.
I was really upset since his eggs were pathogen and parasites free.

All critters need a chiller to keep water temps down.. The most expense part of the set-up.

So, how are your silkworms doing? Trying to refocus.. again!:ROFLMAO:(y)

Ha ha Klyde O'Scope---- You missed the most important part of my comment. "(my impression)" The seahorse can grow cirri and change colors to blend in but takes time.
Yes I did.

If you are interested in cephalopods- forum just like this..
Mmmm... not to the same degree. A chameleon was on my bucket list—wanted one since kindergarten (I'm 10 years retired now).

I was curious about an octopus for a short while, but after learning how difficult they can be to keep properly—and their exceedingly short lifespans—like Sungazers, I'm content to appreciate them in nature/from afar.

So, how are your silkworms doing? Trying to refocus.. again!:ROFLMAO:(y)
Still thinking. Our old house (30+ years ago) had an enormous mulberry tree in the backyard, but I can't see myself going there, knocking on the door, and asking if I could have some leaves cuz I used to live there a few owners ago. That's just creepy.

My dubia raising experiment isn't doing so well either, so I'm probably going to go back to ordering 200-500 at a whack.

We now return control of your [discussion thread] to you, until next week at this same time, when the Control Voice will take you to... [Some Other Off-Topic Tangent].* 😁

* I can truthfully say I saw the original broadcast of the premier episode of that (now classic) series at 7:30 PM Eastern Time on Monday, September 16, 1963. Explains a lot, don't it? 😂

They are growing!!!! I really like how quick caterpillars (of some species) grow so fast. It feels like only weeks ago they were tiny eggs and now some are bigger than a quarter. Wait!! march 16th we started.. It has been only a few weeks.. How time flies when your having fun...

Sharing a strawberry this morning with Rascal the California Desert Tortoise /Tortuga or Gopherus agassizii, if you speak Scientific lingo... :cool:

Attachments

• PXL_20210408_175222144~2.jpg
    PXL_20210408_175222144~2.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20210408_175012225.jpg
    PXL_20210408_175012225.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20210408_175048039.jpg
    PXL_20210408_175048039.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 67
10 to 14" max.. She is about 4 or 5 years old and about 5 or 6".. Licensed and legal.. (y)

My suggestion on tortoises and turtles- Here in the U.S. would be to seek out a society, that has plenty to be adopted.
Here we have the Turtle and Tortoise society usually looking for people to adopt out something. Plus, during hatching season there will be tiny babies available. They will also give you the license and registration information.

Last edited:
10 to 14" max.. She is about 4 or 5 years old and about 5 or 6".. Licensed and legal.. (y)

My suggestion on tortoises and turtles- Here in the U.S. would be to seek out a society, that has plenty to be adopted.
Here we have the Turtle and Tortoise society usually looking for people to adopt out something. Plus, during hatching season there will be tiny babies available. They will also give you the license and registration information.
Missus just put a hefty deposit on a hatchling western hermann. Looked for an older/rescue, but couldn't find one. She's good. They top out at 4-5". Compact.

Great choice!
Now getting animals I have to measure their life span.. I can't watch Rascal reach his 60 to 80 years so will have to figure something out later . :)

"Hermann's tortoise Scientific Name: Testudo hermanni Adult Size: 6 to 8 inches Life Expectancy: Average, up to 75 years, although some may live longer" I like the color and max size they get.

What was your down payment if you don't mind? I see they range from a few hundred to thousands.

Opps! Did you get any silkies yet? (y)

Great choice!
Now getting animals I have to measure their life span.. I can't watch Rascal reach his 60 to 80 years so will have to figure something out later . :)
A relative already gave us some 💩 about that. Dog forbid, we could both die of COVID—or get creamed by a truck tomorrow—and someone would have to rehome my service dog. What's the diff? 🤷‍♂️

"Hermann's tortoise Scientific Name: Testudo hermanni Adult Size: 6 to 8 inches Life Expectancy: Average, up to 75 years, although some may live longer" I like the color and max size they get.
"Western Hermann’s tortoise males will reach 4-6″ and females 6-8″ in overall length."
https://www.turtlestore.com/western-hermanns-tortoise-size/

Bearded dragons are supposed to grow to 16-24". After so many generations of CB, they are getting smaller. Mine is full-grown at 18". The "experts" on the tortoise forums tell us the same thing is happening with CB tortoises, so realistically, males are topping out at 4-5". If by some freak chance it hits 6", it won't be a deal-breaker, but it'll take around 5 years for us to find out!

What was your down payment if you don't mind? I see they range from a few hundred to thousands.
When I was a kid, you could get baby red-eared sliders at the dime store for $.50 ea.
It was a lot more than that.

Last edited:
lol .50 and that was at the grocery stores.. Times have changed.
Nope. Dime store. Probably an archaic term by now; do they even have dime stores any more?
  • Woolworth's

• Neisner's
  • W.T. Grant (A.k.a. Grant's)
  • Ben Franklin (Actually, there is still one of these not too far from me)
  • McCrory's (McCrorey had an "e" in his last name, but took it out because he didn't want to pay for an extra letter on his store signs.) Cheap barstad.
  • J.J. Newberry
  • S.H. Kress

And perhaps my favorite—and most aptly—named...
  • TG&Y (Turtles, Girdles and Yoyos)

Back
Top Bottom