Silkworm journey

"Flacherie related deaths" What the???? Never even heard of that word (my experiment was using personal experience and now the can is open). I have powder that eliminates mold and fungus on eggs, maybe a small amount would be harmless to the worms. I have plenty to try things out, just have to make sure there set-up for the right stuff. I am freezing the mix also and will see what that does. Next batch of mix I will add a small amount. This is getting interesting.... Different food, death or "Flacherie" very important stuff. Maybe someone has tried it and will let me know.

Thanks for the info:::

That is awesome- Hope I am successful and get some of those beauties. I am even going to try the unraveling method the Chinese used with boiling water on the cocoons (not sure how that will start or end) but can add that to the list of weird things to do.

Thanks everyone!

You named your silk moths? :D That is too cute! Well, silk moths are too cute! But...not so sure Star was trying very hard to get away from Yule. Boom chicka wow wow;)
Well, I can't name each and every one, but the ones who I can distinguish from others often do get named.

Star started out all willing but after a day or so, she was like ''ok, get off me''. She tried to climb away, I saw her periodically kicking him with her back leg. I've noticed that sometimes the gals get fed up and kick or tap the males who never get the hint.

"Flacherie related deaths" What the???? Never even heard of that word (my experiment was using personal experience and now the can is open). I have powder that eliminates mold and fungus on eggs, maybe a small amount would be harmless to the worms. I have plenty to try things out, just have to make sure there set-up for the right stuff. I am freezing the mix also and will see what that does. Next batch of mix I will add a small amount. This is getting interesting.... Different food, death or "Flacherie" very important stuff. Maybe someone has tried it and will let me know.

Thanks for the info:::

That is awesome- Hope I am successful and get some of those beauties. I am even going to try the unraveling method the Chinese used with boiling water on the cocoons (not sure how that will start or end) but can add that to the list of weird things to do.

Thanks everyone!
You are welcome. Silkworms are vulnerable to several diseases. Keeping their environment clean and mold-free helps a lot.

I was going to try some eucalyptus leaves mixed in with the mulberry mix (to see). I had veiled (to many years to remember) that like eucalyptus leaves, so figured if the Num nums <----- (stolen from Klyde O'Scope) like it why not? Many of the feeder stick insects eat eucalyptus.
"Num-nums" were inspired by my beardie, "Stinkeye". To this day, if/when he sees a bowl of dubias from atop his 18"H "mountain", he'll dive head-first and face-plant into the bowl, commencing to "Nu-num-num-num-num" 1-4 dubias at a time. (Why he hasn't broken his neck or otherwise injured himself, I'll never know... 🤷‍♂️ ) Sometimes—in his exuberance—he'll flip 1 or 2 out of the bowl. If I'm not right there to recapture them, they'll scurry off under a rock, brick or plant pot—never to be seen again until found gorked on cleaning day.

I'm glad to hear silkies don't necessarily need mulberry leaves. We had a monster tree in the backyard at our previous house, but that was 30+ years ago, and we never dreamed we might one day want to breed silkworms. I wouldn't know where to find a tree where we are now.

Sonny13--- Thank you very much. Really have not shared on this level before.. Heck, I didn't even realize all the stuff I had. I have gone through a few smart phones, many 110 cameras and childhood were polaroid stuff, so many things are lost in memory land.. ha ha
I am only sharing because of the member here that are sharing themselves..
Lesson of today! Num nums are good and silkies (as in worms and not the "born without scales" bearded dragons) eat more than Mulberry leaves.. Now I can nap.. ha ha
No thanks, ‘sharing is caring’......it’s becoming a very informational thread and thanks for your input (everyone else). I’m almost interested in Seahorses, Shar-Pei dogs and Star Wars 😅
Love reading everything.

On-topic, I can’t claim anymore that they only mulberry’s leaves. This is the result one night and less then 10 silkies. It’s almost aggressive eating😳

3F7FA696-93B3-4527-92F5-777F0195CDD7.jpeg
ABF63B1E-508C-465D-B098-CC7A036F8133.jpeg

"Num-nums" were inspired by my beardie, "Stinkeye". To this day, if/when he sees a bowl of dubias from atop his 18"H "mountain", he'll dive head-first and face-plant into the bowl, commencing to "Nu-num-num-num-num" 1-4 dubias at a time. (Why he hasn't broken his neck or otherwise injured himself, I'll never know... 🤷‍♂️ ) Sometimes—in his exuberance—he'll flip 1 or 2 out of the bowl. If I'm not right there to recapture them, they'll scurry off under a rock, brick or plant pot—never to be seen again until found gorked on cleaning day.
Cleaning Day. Missus is removing the gorked plants, and several roaches have turned up from behind or under the pots. He's having a good old time running them down (hasn't been fed yet today) as they scurry hither and yon, and... "Nu-num-num-num-num!" Missus had never heard them crunch before—the heavy glass doors are usually closed. Mah-ha-ha-ha-ha! 😈

We have babies... I spotted only 3 but they are bigger than I thought after leaving the egg.
Picture one is what I see with glasses (blurry without), so would not even notice what was going on at this micro level event. :D (y)
I did not look up what babies looked like so was surprised to see the hairs.

Introducing new to this world---- Jojo, Emeleo, Juan---Just kidding! Num and Num Nums. Thanks again - Klyde O' Scope
Yes, I am thinking i have WAY to many eggs, but we will see.. Baby Jumpers would eat these guys.
FYI: I plan on separating in groups of about 50 as they reach day 3 or 4 depending on size and quantity that hatch. I also know I go overboard with projects, but I learn from trial and error this way. Ordering zucchini too.

For those that have done this before thanks for all the input, I did very little research in raising, but have researched how they farm and care after they have hatched (and still learning about foods). I am wondering if food items have effect on pupae stage. Maybe that will be an issue. Big business opportunity for those wanting to compete in the Asian market with silk.. ha ha

Attachments

• PXL_20210318_140351736.jpg
    PXL_20210318_140351736.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20210318_140220202.jpg
    PXL_20210318_140220202.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20210318_140250007.jpg
    PXL_20210318_140250007.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 79
  • PXL_20210318_140250007~2.jpg
    PXL_20210318_140250007~2.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I also know I go overboard with projects, but I learn from trial and error this way. Ordering zucchini too.
Nobody orders zucchini. You plant it once in your vegetable garden, and are guaranteed a lifetime supply from that one planting.

For those that have done this before thanks for all the input, I did very little research in raising, but have researched how they farm and care after they have hatched (and still learning about foods). I am wondering if food items have effect on pupae stage. Maybe that will be an issue. Big business opportunity for those wanting to compete in the Asian market with silk.. ha ha
I should have paid more attention at the last "Fiber Fest". We visited the silkworm pavilion, but it was a few years ago BC.

We have babies... I spotted only 3 but they are bigger than I thought after leaving the egg.
Picture one is what I see with glasses (blurry without), so would not even notice what was going on at this micro level event. :D (y)
I did not look up what babies looked like so was surprised to see the hairs.

Introducing new to this world---- Jojo, Emeleo, Juan---Just kidding! Num and Num Nums. Thanks again - Klyde O' Scope
Yes, I am thinking i have WAY to many eggs, but we will see.. Baby Jumpers would eat these guys.
FYI: I plan on separating in groups of about 50 as they reach day 3 or 4 depending on size and quantity that hatch. I also know I go overboard with projects, but I learn from trial and error this way. Ordering zucchini too.

You´re doing great as silky parent (y)

There are about 30 that hatched in just a few hours.
I am afraid what I will see when I look later today.. Hundreds! Yikes
Still can't see them with my eyes unless using magnification of some type.

Attachments

• PXL_20210318_173652055.jpg
    PXL_20210318_173652055.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20210318_173829334.jpg
    PXL_20210318_173829334.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 63
Yep! They be hatching.
Adding water with the end of tweezers (very small). Just on the crusty stuff and it absorbs like a sponge. I have done it where the worms are too and it seems to absorb quick enough not to drown them.
Pic ! is after adding the drops.

Attachments

• PXL_20210318_220340737.jpg
    PXL_20210318_220340737.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20210318_220647196.jpg
    PXL_20210318_220647196.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 99
Beautiful pictures! Congratulations! You're lucky, yours seem to be all hatching together whist mine were more of a gradual rollout.

We will see- "gradual rollout" could this be multiple egg layers? Did you have the moths?

just curious.. Thanks

The food mix seems to be the expensive part of raising them. Maybe we can figure foods that will work and possibly be better gut loading.

If others have tried different leaves, veggies please let us know. (y)

We will see- "gradual rollout" could this be multiple egg layers? Did you have the moths?

just curious.. Thanks

The food mix seems to be the expensive part of raising them. Maybe we can figure foods that will work and possibly be better gut loading.

If others have tried different leaves, veggies please let us know. (y)

No problem I love talking about them. So, my first time hatching, I had taken around 90-100 eggs out of the fridge. They were in diapause, so I stored them in the fridge. It took around 17 days before the first hatchling appeared. I ended up getting five one day, three the next, another five etc, etc. That's what I meant by ''gradual rollout''. There just wasn't a mass hatching. I even had some late hatchers, some as delayed as 60 days. No idea why. Yes, they did become moths, not all of them survived to that stage, but many did. The next generation had the best survival rate,, no disease, and I even got one that could fly!

On the food subject, I will just say what I have read; you can give them lettuce, carrots etc as a short term solution, but they will not get what they need nutrition-wise except from mulberry leaves or chow. I read that they won't live if you feed them other things in the long term.

Perhaps check your neighbourhood for mulberry trees. Once I knew what they looked like, I realized that they were right in front of my face the entire time, nine in my neighbourhood.

Thanks! I was thinking of mixing the mulberry chow and adding the other items (blending some and little bits in other containers), so they always have a choice getting the mulberry nutrition.
Great job in both raising and finding the trees.

Pic. 1 What is this guy doing at the top? Parkour!
Pic. 2 Fungus or silk? I have seen one that it looked like it was coming from mouth but hard to tell.
Pic. 3 Rear exit from egg. Crazy!
I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.. (y)

Attachments

• PXL_20210319_043610314.jpg
    PXL_20210319_043610314.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20210319_043556602.jpg
    PXL_20210319_043556602.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 90
  • PXL_20210319_041821002~3.jpg
    PXL_20210319_041821002~3.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom