Silkworm journey

...or Purina—Dog Chow, Cat Chow, Horse Chow, Rabbit Chow, Pig Chow, Monkey Chow, and let us not forget ...

1615991976209.png

EDIT: ...and yes, there's even Lion Chow. Don't know if they still make that one.

1615993499537.png

My service dog is a snob—he eats Pukanuba.

Last edited:
Vet. Chow= Eat everything you can in front of you, as fast as you can, and don't worry what or who made it. You might not get fed for a few days. ha ha ha (just kidding)

Animal chow = A wonderful mixture of healthy particulates (formed to size and species specific) to assist with growth and health. AKA " Nums Nums"

One you sweat doing the other you (they) enjoy.. Ha ha

Vet. Chow= Eat everything you can in front of you, as fast as you can, and don't worry what or who made it. You might not get fed for a few days. ha ha ha (just kidding)
Check, learned something again today. I know chow now, experienced it too often, only didn’t know about the term, chow 😅😅

Getting back on track or I will go ON and ON (and on and on and on).

Don't want to miss "Num nums" (sounds less desperate than Chow) first day out of the egg. So have to check all the time. I can see faces and little bodies. WOW! Sorry, I get excited seeing this stuff with cameras and zoom stuff. My eyes barely can see the eggs WITH my reading glasses. So, I use those close up glasses from Dollar store, then use the zoom on my camera and then add the 20X (new last year) on the camera.. What a journey..

Attachments

• PXL_20210317_160428054.jpg
    PXL_20210317_160428054.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 94
  • PXL_20210317_160903651.jpg
    PXL_20210317_160903651.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20210317_160828541.jpg
    PXL_20210317_160828541.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 94

Animal chow = A wonderful mixture of healthy particulates (formed to size and species specific) to assist with growth and health. AKA " Nums Nums"

One you sweat doing the other you (they) enjoy.. Ha ha
There are a few more...
verb: chow-down
adj.: chow hound
...and one of two breeds (the other being the Shar-pei) with a blue-black/purple tongue.

1616000541916.png

Wikipedia

I wish it were that easy! Feeding 100's of baby seahorses, betta fish babies 3 or 4 times a day.. I must have hatched out billions over the years.. Ha ha Retired from all that stuff--
None looked as nice as yours did.. lol (y)
I need to stay focused.. :)
So the mix seemed to be getting dry yesterday. I put about 20 drops of water in the container but not on the mix and by morning the mix absorbed the water and it looks yummy now (kind of expected it, but I have seen some cultures awfully dry and wondered why?) and will be carful not to drown the little guys and gals.
With video I can see little movement in some of the eggs.
Having problems thinking of 616 names if they all hatch:unsure:. Just kidding- they will all be called "Chow".
I love the seahorses!! Im thinking about setting up a tank for some!! Might have to pick your brain with some questions! 😬😬

That would be wonderful! There is a decline in the hobby but for a good place to start and I will help too.
www.seahorse.org--- There use to be hundreds on daily but few now. Like Chameleons they need a special environment, Captive Bred source (there are a few) and people like on here. (do not buy from E-bay or local pet shop unless they can prove they are CB. CB are raised on frozen foods (easy) Farm Raised and Wild Caught need to be trained or never are capable of making the change. Plus, all the little buggies in the wild can transfer from tank to tank (little heads up). But very rewarding with their beauty and 95% of that in hiding. They do have horseality and each species is different. Hippocampus Erectus (I know weird name) would be the hardiest and has variety of colors. My choice if I got back into it again. Chiller and equipment would be the major $$$$$. Seahorses about 79 to ^^^^ would be a good price.

http://seahorsesource.com/ My favorite place to purchase he has a few different species and if it is the same guy will talk or e-mail you through stuff.

That would be wonderful! There is a decline in the hobby but for a good place to start and I will help too.
www.seahorse.org--- There use to be hundreds on daily but few now. Like Chameleons they need a special environment, Captive Bred source (there are a few) and people like on here. (do not buy from E-bay or local pet shop unless they can prove they are CB. CB are raised on frozen foods (easy) Farm Raised and Wild Caught need to be trained or never are capable of making the change. Plus, all the little buggies in the wild can transfer from tank to tank (little heads up). But very rewarding with their beauty and 95% of that in hiding. They do have horseality and each species is different. Hippocampus Erectus (I know weird name) would be the hardiest and has variety of colors. My choice if I got back into it again. Chiller and equipment would be the major $$$$$. Seahorses about 79 to ^^^^ would be a good price.

http://seahorsesource.com/ My favorite place to purchase he has a few different species and if it is the same guy will talk or e-mail you through stuff.
Omg thank you so much for the info! I use a chiller for my axolotls so im very aware of the money in the aquarium hobby 😅😅 i spend so much on all my aquariums 🤣🤣 Thank you again!!

I didn't mention the axolotls , mud puppies, or the African clawed frogs and Marine (cane) toads. No no here in CA... So those projects ended years ago, before getting a big fine or going to jail.
Axolotls are the best but reproduce to fast (lots of work with feeding the larva)
Always remembered this: """""Unlike other amphibians, it remains in larval form throughout the life without undergoing metamorphosis""""
Not true! Not true! Not true! The biology class I was in had some and when I went to visit 3 years later it was an albino salamander. Maybe it was a hybrid but it lost the gills and still lived in half water/ half land. I have been out of the loop for many years, so you will have current info. (y)

Last edited:
Same here 🤷🏼‍♂️
I’ve put them on the zucchini a few hours ago and the chew marks tell the rest 🧐
I was going to try some eucalyptus leaves mixed in with the mulberry mix (to see). I had veiled (to many years to remember) that like eucalyptus leaves, so figured if the Num nums <----- (stolen from Klyde O'Scope) like it why not? Many of the feeder stick insects eat eucalyptus.

I didn't mention the axolotls , mud puppies, or the African clawed frogs and Marine (cane) toads. No no here in CA... So those projects ended years ago, before getting a big fine or going to jail.
Axolotls are the best but reproduce to fast (lots of work with feeding the larva)
Always remembered this: """""Unlike other amphibians, it remains in larval form throughout the life without undergoing metamorphosis""""
Not true! Not true! Not true! The biology class I was in had some and when I went to visit 3 years later it was an albino salamander. Maybe it was a hybrid but it lost the gills and still lived in half water/ half land. I have been out of the loop for many years, so you will have current info. (y)
I have seen documentaries where they talk about this! In mexico there is giant fields where they are on land!! Very interesting creatures. I learn so much from all the different species i keep. And i LOVE reading your posts... you have so much experience w so manu species!! So thank you for helping to spread the knowledge !! ❤

Sonny13--- Thank you very much. Really have not shared on this level before.. Heck, I didn't even realize all the stuff I had. I have gone through a few smart phones, many 110 cameras and childhood were polaroid stuff, so many things are lost in memory land.. ha ha
I am only sharing because of the member here that are sharing themselves..
Lesson of today! Num nums are good and silkies (as in worms and not the "born without scales" bearded dragons) eat more than Mulberry leaves.. Now I can nap.. ha ha

So the mix seemed to be getting dry yesterday. I put about 20 drops of water in the container but not on the mix and by morning the mix absorbed the water and it looks yummy now (kind of expected it, but I have seen some cultures awfully dry and wondered why?) and will be carful not to drown the little guys and gals.
With video I can see little movement in some of the eggs.
Having problems thinking of 616 names if they all hatch:unsure:. Just kidding- they will all be called "Chow".

I wanted to say it yesterday, but wasn't sure if I should. I do not think you should have the chow in there until they start hatching. It dries out, and even if it doesn't, it may not stay good for days on end.
I'm not sure adding additional water is okay, either. One time, I got prepared chow from the pet store that was wetter than usual. I ended up with mold, even though I only add more food when the older food dries out, and I try to remove dried out food. I was told that the food should be changed daily, but perhaps it could go a bit longer. I had over 40 flacherie-related deaths in that generation, and only three survivors; my lovely Christmas Moths.
Here's a picture of Star trying to get away from Yule:

Attachments

• DSC02453.JPG
    DSC02453.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC02455.JPG
    DSC02455.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom