Silkworm hatchlings need help

pantherchamlove36

Established Member
So I bought a silkworm egg kit from coastal silkworms and the eggs hatched in a few days I did everything per instruction to make silkworm chow to feed them but a few days later they all died any suggestions as to why? What did I do wrong?

Did you keep replacing the food with fresh? When putting little bits of chow for the babies, it dries out fast. But, lately I’ve been having problems with silkies too...can’t get any of my eggs to hatch so I ordered some small silkies and they very quickly died within a few days. I wonder if the weather changing has something to do with it.

They are super-sensitive. They will hatch in my chameleon room, but not in my kitchen, and my house isn't that big! I agree with the advice given, however I'd add that when they hatch you need to spray a little bit of water around them. I keep them on papertowels to hatch, and just spritz around them, not on them, 2 times a day, gradually going down to 1 time a day, and then none once they are big enough to turn white. Good luck!

Did you sanitize your hands, and all equipment used to touch them, feed them, house them?
What were the temps where they were located? Humidity levels?
I have no idea on temps where they're located I live in florida so humidity isn't a problem i did not sanitize hands but i didn't touch them

Did you keep replacing the food with fresh? When putting little bits of chow for the babies, it dries out fast. But, lately I’ve been having problems with silkies too...can’t get any of my eggs to hatch so I ordered some small silkies and they very quickly died within a few days. I wonder if the weather changing has something to do with it.

I did replace food every day for them the eggs will hatch quicker if you keep them warmer I found out, but died within a few days and they weren't moving much at all

You shouldn’t need to replace their food every day. Hatching silkworms should not be handled very often.
It really hard to know what went wrong, there’s many factors involved. If you have pictures of your setup, food, etc that would help.

They are super-sensitive. They will hatch in my chameleon room, but not in my kitchen, and my house isn't that big! I agree with the advice given, however I'd add that when they hatch you need to spray a little bit of water around them. I keep them on papertowels to hatch, and just spritz around them, not on them, 2 times a day, gradually going down to 1 time a day, and then none once they are big enough to turn white. Good luck!
I was wondering about that that might be why they died from lack of water good advice thank you

I'm also in Florida and have plenty of humidity, but hopefully the water bottle trick helps! I've raised 2 batches from worms that turned into moths and then laid eggs this way.

From what I've read, they get all the hydration that they need from their food. I do not think it was "lack of water". Mine do not get water, and I am on generation 4.

I have never had any problems with mine. Guess I'm just lucky. Don't do anything special for them. Just put food down and away they go. On my 5th generation now.

Back
Top Bottom