silkworm eggs

sking21

Okay so my eggs turned this brown color im guessing they are fertile. Can I just leave them out to hatch. When do i put them into the fridge, Wait untill they turn a different color(darker) or do they go straight in. can i just hatch them straight out without putting them in the fridge. How do I remove the eggs from all the random surfaces the moth laid them on. i dont think ill have enough space to fit halfs of toliet paper rolls everywhere.

the eggs are born light brown, and then turn dark brown/blue after a week. After that you have 1 week to decide to fridge them (they will last years according to some folklore) or let them hatch in another 2 weeks.

The eggs are glued to whatever they were layed on. Trying to removed will more then likely destroy the egg.

I think that answers all the questions :)

Thanks, so the ones on the side and toliet paper rolls ill let them hatch and since they all laid at different times ima have to guessimate if its been a week or a little later. I have hundreds of silks laying so its alot to keep up with

Okay so my eggs turned this brown color im guessing they are fertile. Can I just leave them out to hatch. When do i put them into the fridge, Wait untill they turn a different color(darker) or do they go straight in. can i just hatch them straight out without putting them in the fridge. How do I remove the eggs from all the random surfaces the moth laid them on. i dont think ill have enough space to fit halfs of toliet paper rolls everywhere.

Eggs start out yellow and then turn light brown, then grey. I usually wait until they are grey before putting them in the frig. You can just let them hatch without frig time, it will take a couple weeks or so. If they have been in the frig a while I usually get mine to hatch within a week.

You cant really take them off of the surface they are laid on without damaging them. This is why I usually put a toilet paper roll around the breeding couple so that the female will lay eggs in a nice circular area that is perfect for my petri dishes. You can check out my blog for more details and pictures.

And that answers everything, thank you all for the help and hopefully in a month or so ill have a couple thousand worms

A couple of thousand:eek: rather you than me. They need to be cleaned and fed several times a day when tiny. And every day when bigger. There life cycle is around 4-6 weeks.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom