Silkworm eggs for ONE chameleon

The smallest amount I can get from say, coastal silkworms is 250 eggs. I figure this should probably be enough for my one chameleon. If all of those hatch, I'd say this amount would last a month.

I've read that I should probably call in or email to ask for my eggs that I receive to be in dispause. This is so I can take out and hatch out what i need as oppose to hatching all 250 out at once.

I want to store and keep my eggs and silkworms for as long as possible. My cham has coccidia, which has caused him to stop eating as much, but I think he is also very bored of all my feeders except worms such as larvae, mealies and supers.

Should I go with 250 or 500 or silk eggs? I've read if in the right conditions, they can be stored for quite some time... What are your guys' experience with how long one can keep the eggs for? I'd just be keeping them in a small fridge. Also, does it matter if I get zebras, black, green, pink? Too many options!

The key is too make sure the eggs are fresh, Coastal purchases about every 3 months. Higher hatch rates on fresh eggs.
Ask them which eggs are doing the best for the "strain" of silks.

CHEERS!

Nick

Mental note you can only keep them alive about 8 weeks tops no matter how long you starve them (feed every 3 days once they are at "gud eatin" size). I go through 6 a day for 3-4 weeks for each cham. I also feed an adult dubia every other day, there is not much meat on a silky. They are mostly just bags of water.

Zebras are the most hardy, and they are bigger than the normals. The others are just the color of the cocoon.

Mental note you can only keep them alive about 8 weeks tops no matter how long you starve them (feed every 3 days once they are at "gud eatin" size). I go through 6 a day for 3-4 weeks for each cham. I also feed an adult dubia every other day, there is not much meat on a silky. They are mostly just bags of water.

Zebras are the most hardy, and they are bigger than the normals. The others are just the color of the cocoon.

Eight weeks? That's not been my experience. My last order was shipped eight weeks ago and arrived in the process of hatching. I have barely started to feed them off. They'll last for a long time more. I could have fed them off when they were smaller, but I had older, bigger ones to feed.

As they grow, there is a large variety of sizes. I have some from the same hatch that are big fat 1.25" long worms. I have others that are skinny little bitty things about 1/3". I feed out the bigger worms first. I never starve them.

Buy the 500 egg size. It is the basically the same price as the 250 size. If you can't use them, try to find someone to give them to. Maybe a pet shop will trade you something for them. If all else fails, find a backyard chicken farmer and trade them for some eggs.

Eight weeks? That's not been my experience. My last order was shipped eight weeks ago and arrived in the process of hatching. I have barely started to feed them off. They'll last for a long time more. I could have fed them off when they were smaller, but I had older, bigger ones to feed.

As they grow, there is a large variety of sizes. I have some from the same hatch that are big fat 1.25" long worms. I have others that are skinny little bitty things about 1/3". I feed out the bigger worms first. I never starve them.

Buy the 500 egg size. It is the basically the same price as the 250 size. If you can't use them, try to find someone to give them to. Maybe a pet shop will trade you something for them. If all else fails, find a backyard chicken farmer and trade them for some eggs.

Sounds great. Thanks Jean and others!

I am getting 500 zebra silks. Is overnight shipping a must if I want to keep the eggs in the dispause stage? I will be adding an ice pack to my order, but will it last 2-day shipping, or should I play it safe and go with overnight? Grr, sooo expensive, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Is 2 pounds of chow adequate, or will I need more possibly? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom