Silkworm chow

I have been feeding my Silkworms the chow. There is a lot of info on the fact that you can keep it in the fridge for 1 month but how often do I have to change the Silkworm chow they eating. It is the Chow you cook before giving it to them. How many days does it last out in their habitat? Room temp is about 75 degrees. I have been changing every 2 days but running out of chow fast with a great deal of wasted chow. How do I gage this? Do I wait till it is dried out. Anyone know a rule of thumb for me? Thank you

How big are your silkworms? How many do you have? How are you feeding the chow? Many websites that sell them say to cut or grind it up, but I've found it easier to squeeze the chow out through a little hole in a ziplock bag. It's easier to control how much you feed and where you feed. It also dries out much better, preventing mold

If you're cutting it up, even if it hasn't dried by the 2nd day, take it out. In my experience, if the chow hasn't dried, mold starts appearing on the third day.

Thank you for your response. I'm new to this site so only saw your response now. I'm definitely going to use the ziplock bag idea as Ive wasted so much chow. I do have another question about Silkworm moths after she laid her eggs. I separated the egg laying Silkworm moth so that she doesn't have all the males trying to mate her while she is trying to lay her eggs. Should I put her back with all the other moths once she is done laying her eggs? Or just let her be to die after laying her eggs? Thank you

You shouldn't be wasting so much chow, you're giving too much. I throw a few little chunks in each day and it is finished by the next. Grating it works, I like that plastic bag idea too, but just dropping a piece of it in for me has worked fine. I just keep the rest in the fridge with plastic wrap over it. I've never had mold grow on it either, with good ventilation it should just dry out.

Back
Top Bottom