Silkworms die 5 days after hatching??

Camiezone

Avid Member

Hey, how come my silkworms always die at about 5 days after hatching? Right when they go from being black to white.
I have no problem w hatching them, then feed them both chow and fresh white mulberry leaves, the smallest new leaves. After plucking them off my tree I wash the leaves, dry them and then chop them into smaller pieces. The worms are transfered into plastic tub, I keep the container in my chameleon room, so it's constantly around mid 70s. There's no mold growth. Arghh it's so frustrating and I feel just awful knowing I just lost 2000 babies. This isn't the first time its happened. I have great success when buying bulk order of already hatched ones. I'm at a loss, Any help is super appreciated.

You want to feed the bigger, darker leaves instead of the new leaves. Otherwise, you may have gotten a bad batch of eggs. It happens :(

White they go white that is the final instar. Wonder if its just the fact you are using chow and leaves, normally they will not eat both at the same time.

I sorta do what you do, fresh young leaves, chop up and lay on top once a day or every other day. I do not wash them however.
IMG_20170713_171537.jpg

Back
Top Bottom