silkworm breeding

that guy

Hey everyone,

I was thinking of breeding silkworms and had questions about the mulberry tree. I only have one chameleon to feed so I wouldn't need too many worms at a time, but I was wondering just how many trees would need to be kept to sustain a population of silkworms for one reptile. Does anyone have experience with this? I've also heard that you can get leaves from trees in the wild. Would these be safe to feed the silkworm feeders? And would I be able to find leaves in the middle of winter in Kansas?

Thanks!

Most folks I think feed the worms commercially prepared silkworm chow. I also think I read that if the worms are started on the leaves then that is all they will eat, but I am not sure of that. I f you search for silkworm chow on ebay there is a seller that has an excellent price for it.

I don't have any trees so am using the chow. I too have read that if you start on chow or on leaves the worms will not switch. I am thinking of getting a tree this spring. The chow can be messy to clean up, thinking a leaf skeleton would be easier to clean than funky day old chow

Does the chow get really expensive over time? like would it even be worth breeding them if you're using chow vs. just buying live worms?

I considered breeding silkworms, and frankly, after trying my hand at hatching eggs and raising them I realized that for my needs it is easier to buy the adult worms. The feed IS expensive, and I found for the limited number worms I could actually grow to a reasonable size it wasn't worth it. (high attrition)

I breed my own silkworms and it is not that much work, but you have to keep an eye every other day for mold. I do have some small mulberry trees and I usually start off my baby silkworms on leaves, it takes couple of days for silkworms to switch from leaves to chow, but as they get hungry they eat mulberry chow.
More you feed them fast they grow. They do love mulberry leaves and you would need a big tree to keep them satisfied. I always keep dry mulberry chow on hand. Don't hatch too many eggs at the same time, do it in 7-10 day periods. Keep other eggs in your fridge.

I don't have any trees so am using the chow. I too have read that if you start on chow or on leaves the worms will not switch. I am thinking of getting a tree this spring. The chow can be messy to clean up, thinking a leaf skeleton would be easier to clean than funky day old chow

Does your day old chow not turn to a crisp chunk like toast? Maybe I'm preparing it differently....

Mine turns too a hard lump too mate. I had some turn too moths and bread without me doing anything and I didn't even have to put them into the fridge.

From what I've read leaves would be most ideal, using wild ones should be fine, if you actually have access to a tree you can pick leaves from I'd try growing a tree from a cutting. I tried it this fall to no avail primarily because didn't quite do it right Ill try it again in the spring. I have tons and tons of weeping mulberry trees in my neighbourhood if worse coems to worse ill go collect leaves and freeze em

oh and to add when i get my cham i intend to attempt to breed silks as well, pretty sure I have read somewhere you would need quite the amount of leaves if you wanted to do leaves

IMO, breeding and raising silkies is a major PITA!

I just buy them 50 or 100 at a time from The Silkworm Shoppe

Pschobunny is so right! If you have a lot of time and are bored, enjoy a challenge (frustration), silk raising is for you!

With one chameleon, buy some chow and small amounts at 1 inch size or so, otherwise they will out grow your chameleon and die.:D

Nick

Back
Top Bottom