Silkworm breeding advice

Agree with above as you would be able to hatch eggs right away and it would give you an idea of what you are getting into.
Okay thanks! I think I might buy some eggs and see how many I can get out of it. I will definitely profit on the silkworms, I’m just not sure if it is worth it, because bsfl, for example, can be bought super cheap. For the variety I guess.

Also, what do you suggest I do with extras? I’m sure after a few months I will be overrun with silkworms as long as everything goes alright.

Last question.. Do the eggs have to go in the fridge after I get them? I see some places saying yes and others saying no.

Okay thanks! I think I might buy some eggs and see how many I can get out of it. I will definitely profit on the silkworms, I’m just not sure if it is worth it, because bsfl, for example, can be bought super cheap. For the variety I guess.

Also, what do you suggest I do with extras? I’m sure after a few months I will be overrun with silkworms as long as everything goes alright.

Last question.. Do the eggs have to go in the fridge after I get them? I see some places saying yes and others saying no.
Let any extra cocoon and then you’ll have your own eggs. :)
No, the eggs you order don’t go in the fridge. Just straight to wherever you are going to put them to hatch.

I hatch my eggs in a short deli container on a low temp heat mat. Once all have hatched and are eating and gotten a bit bigger, I move them to a plastic shoe sized tote, where they stay until either being fed off or cocooning. Keeping everything as clean as possible is important. I use powdered chow and have found best prices for it on eBay. @snitz427 is our silkworm guru and you can find lots of helpful info from one of her posts. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/posting-my-silkworm-experience.168402/

How many silkworms fit in a shoe box size container?

In a shoe box I think you could safely fit:

1000 babies
300-400 juveniles
100 adults

I bought this gutter guard on amazon which works well to keep them off of their poop: https://www.amazon.com/Frost-VX620-...s=Frost+King+VX620&qid=1592006448&s=hi&sr=1-2

Here I have around 100 juveniles/sub-adults in each of the 2 lower containers, and around 40 adults in the top. I am unloading a container of the juveniles at my local pet store tomorrow because I have no use for them having only 1 adult panther. Going to allow 10-15 of the adults to cocoon.
IMG_20200612_200159.jpg

Awesome info. I want to master this ability for my chameleon. I have a few cocooning right now. If I'm not mistaken, do they get a little smaller looking before they cocoon?

I forget the last time I cocooned, but read that they do get smaller.

I unloaded around 100 worms to my local pet store yesterday. Next time I buy 250 eggs, I am only hatching 30 -50. But, if all goes to plan, I will have my own eggs and I can pull only as much as I need out of the fridge.

Did your new baby arrive yet? I’m kinda glad ours turned up his nose to the silkies except I have 1000 eggs in our fridge!
In the end i decided to breed superworms instead. Im kinda short on money rn and it would be cheaper and easier for me to not do silkworms. Im considering doing it in the future though. I hope yours go well!

Back
Top Bottom