Silk Worms

arcorl

What is the best way to feed a 1 year old cham silk worms? Do I let them roam arount or use a feeder dish? I let cricket's and hawthorn's roam around but the silks aren't as big. Thanks for any input.
Rick

What do you mean silkworms arent as big? I know the US silkworm supplies sell the worms at larger of 1.5" or so, but here I get them at up to 2.5"

Let them roam, they dont move far, they cannot hurt your chameleon, they nibble on the live plants in the cage and live longer.

Give them a week or two and they will be a lot bigger. I have a problem with them getting too big too fast, I can't feed them off fast enough. I just place them on a branch in the cage in the chameleons eyesight and they go after them imediately.

Jerm said:
Give them a week or two and they will be a lot bigger. I have a problem with them getting too big too fast, I can't feed them off fast enough.
Providing you have silkchow or mulberry tree leaves at your disposal.

Thanks for the input... My silk worms are small right now. About 1/2 inch. This is the first time I have ordered silk worms. I still have lots to learn.

Pams Chams said:
Hi, I think The bigger the worm the better for hydration. 1/2 inch is small for a 1 year old cham.
Don't you own a silk supply company Pam?

For sure. Dont feed those worms off. If you wait another 1.5-2 weeks theyll be a couple inches long and much more of a treat. I just received 500 this morning, and Ill be ordering another lot next week.

arcorl said:
Will Hayward,
Where did you order your silk worms from?

Thanks,
Rick
i dont know were you live, but if you cant find a silk worm supplier check out some of your local exotic pet shops...i have a place right down the street from me that sells me crickets, silk worms, and horned worms....

Back
Top Bottom