Silk worms & other worms

snitz427

Chameleon Enthusiast
what other "worms" are you offering? silkworms, superworms and hornworms? Silkworms are pretty "heavy" so my guys tend to get full faster on them than other feeders. Today I offered my 6 month old girls 6-7 small silkworms and 2 small supers, and they both left 2 silkworms in the cup. I usually offer 10-12 silkworms/superworms/dubia. BSFL I just throw in and let them go to town on however many they want. 1 horn worm now and then (hard to keep them small enough for them).

grog

Hi, I have a 4 month old veiled chameleon, how much and how often do I feed him?.
what other "worms" are you offering? silkworms, superworms and hornworms? Silkworms are pretty "heavy" so my guys tend to get full faster on them than other feeders. Today I offered my 6 month old girls 6-7 small silkworms and 2 small supers, and they both left 2 silkworms in the cup. I usually offer 10-12 silkworms/superworms/dubia. BSFL I just throw in and let them go to town on however many they want. 1 horn worm now and then (hard to keep them small enough for them).
I was wounding about super worms and what size to get him for he is about 4 months old, I see on eBay I can get 500 of them!, would that be to many to get at a time?.

snitz427

Chameleon Enthusiast
I was wounding about super worms and what size to get him for he is about 4 months old, I see on eBay I can get 500 of them!, would that be to many to get at a time?.

I would get smalls for a 4 month old. 500 should be cheap... but they’ll grow to larges long before you feed them off. They live a long time. Its recommended superworms not making up more than 20% of their diet, so dont use it as a staple food.

snitz427

Chameleon Enthusiast
So how do you dust the crickets?.

There are all sorts of “dusters.” I use a quart sized takeout container and cut a hole in the lid for the tube of my cricket keeper. I know rainbowmealworms sells two types.

What supplements are you using and how often?

RyanBRZ

Avid Member
Superworms are super cheap and easy to keep, it's a shame they are so unhealthy for chams. High fat and very bad calcium to phosphorus ratio, 2 bad things, on top of that they are addicting to chameleons where they will refuse other feeders once they get used to these. I know some have success with feeding these, but if I could do it over again I would have never offered these to my boy.

He's been on a hunger strike since I stopped superworms, eating pretty much only worms (BSFL, hornworms, silkworms). He finally took down a big cricket the other day and I was so happy. The first insect with legs he has had in a long time.

Top Bottom