Silk Moths and a weird cocoon

ajs

Avid Member
3 moths have hatched! I think they might all be males though? And they are staying on top of their cocoons it seems.

Is there anything else I need to be doing other than waiting for the others?

I've heard of some trying to cut open cocoons to help moths. How do I know when I should try that, if at all?

Also, one of the silkworms formed a much different cocoon structure

20200719_233554.jpg
20200719_210520.jpg
20200719_233613.jpg
20200719_210625.jpg

They usually don’t have much of a problem hatching out of their cocoons. Every once in a while though you’ll see on one end that betadine color of whatever enzyme they secrete to soften their exit, yet the moth never emerges. After about a day I very carefully snip a tiny hole of the stained area to help.

They usually don’t have much of a problem hatching out of their cocoons. Every once in a while though you’ll see on one end that betadine color of whatever enzyme they secrete to soften their exit, yet the moth never emerges. After about a day I very carefully snip a tiny hole of the stained area to help.
I'm very paranoid about trying that lol

Soo...whats up with that last pic? Is that the strange cocoon thing?
It is. It had to have been formed by a silkworm since i had them covered with taped down paper towels to cocoon.

It was wiggling the other day still. I'm kinda waiting to see what happens with it at the moment

It is. It had to have been formed by a silkworm since i had them covered with taped down paper towels to cocoon.

It was wiggling the other day still. I'm kinda waiting to see what happens with it at the moment
Super strange. It looks just like a waxworm turning into a waxmoth....but if you only had silks, that cant be.

No way a silkworm made that..... Maybe you accidently put a waxworm in your container? wait and see what it hatches into!

Reactions: ajs
No way a silkworm made that..... Maybe you accidently put a waxworm in your container? wait and see what it hatches into!
I've never even had any waxworms lol. The only other type of worm I currently own are supers and they are in a sealed container a story down and on the opposite side of my house.

Very strange

I've never even had any waxworms lol. The only other type of worm I currently own are supers and they are in a sealed container a story down and on the opposite side of my house.

Very strange
yes very strange. Im stumped. Keep us updates and tell us what it hatches into!!

A female hatched and mated with one of the males!

However, almost all of the eggs were laid on the cocoon. Is there a way to get them off safely?

A female hatched and mated with one of the males!

However, almost all of the eggs were laid on the cocoon. Is there a way to get them off safely?
Can you not just leave them on it? Will it screw up the eggs? Or it is just a space saver to remove them?

Only asking cause I plan on breeding them soon!!

Can you not just leave them on it? Will it screw up the eggs? Or it is just a space saver to remove them?

Only asking cause I plan on breeding them soon!!
I suppose you can leave them on the cocoon. I do my best to prevent it from happening. I use 2 little bins...one for cocoons and once the moths emerge and pair up, I move them to the 2nd bin which has no cocoons or unmated moths. I also cover each pair with a small paper cup to better confine the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom