Silk moth keeping

ZEROPILOT

Avid Member
Here in south Florida, there is a small list of legal feeders.
I see silk MOTH eggs and larvae for sale online.
(The adults being hard to find.)
How do you hatch the eggs? And what do you feed them as they grow?
I'm not sure if any local plant species are suitable.

Here in south Florida, there is a small list of legal feeders.
I see silk MOTH eggs and larvae for sale online.
(The adults being hard to find.)
How do you hatch the eggs? And what do you feed them as they grow?
I'm not sure if any local plant species are suitable.
The moths aren’t for sale because they only live long enough to try to mate (and females lay eggs), then they die. There are tons of threads on here, feeder insect sites, the internet, etc. for raising and pupating silkworms. Like I said before, just because FL restricts some roach species, there are still LOTS of feeders legal there!

The moths aren’t for sale because they only live long enough to try to mate (and females lay eggs), then they die. There are tons of threads on here, feeder insect sites, the internet, etc. for raising and pupating silkworms. Like I said before, just because FL restricts some roach species, there are still LOTS of feeders legal there!
I mentioned on another thread about my wifes severe Roach Phobia to any winged roach that looks too much like our indigenous "Common cockroach". This unfortunate eliminated even Discoid and Banana roaches.
I've ordered 20 Horseshoe crab roaches to try out.
Hopefully they will become my #2 staple feeder.
Fingers crossed.
I'm also going to order some silk moth egg kits.

Bombyx mori silkworms eat mulberry leaves, or you can get artificial food.
Every where I look, they say "the females lay eggs and die soon after" but, in my experience, my girls live like two weeks after doing so. My longest-lived female made 18 days before death.

Every where I look, they say "the females lay eggs and die soon after" but, in my experience, my girls live like two weeks after doing so. My longest-lived female made 18 days before death.
Thank you

Where do you buy your mulberry leaves? I plan on breeding some I just need the food for them, I also see some people make or buy chow but how do you make it??

Where do you buy your mulberry leaves? I plan on breeding some I just need the food for them, I also see some people make or buy chow but how do you make it??
Gulf Coast Silworms and TC Insects sometimes have them in stock (you have to act fast with them), I’m sure other feeder sites that sell silkworms on the regular do, too. You can also buy from people who have a mulberry tree, as well (over the internet, too).

There are about nine trees in my neighbourhood. I hope to grow one for myself one day via a clipping. I have never made the chow myself, I've been buying it from the local pet shop, although they haven't been very reliable.
I own a 10' tall dwarf mulberry tree.
Where do you buy these?

Back
Top Bottom