Silk cocoon

AmandaS

Retired Moderator
At what point do I give up on my silk cocoon? It has been about 15-20 days since cocooning itself in, and there is that brown coloring on it...but still no moth.

I have 250 silks on their way to me right now, so I can try again. I just dont want to throw little dude out if it is going to make it.

(No pics til I get off work)

Hi, the same happened to a few of mine. The way I understand it is they secrete a liquid to help open the cocoon. I saw the liquid stains on the ones that didn't open. Did the other cocoons open? It took mine about 21 days but they were in a cold basement with no heater. Good luck.

At what point do I give up on my silk cocoon? It has been about 15-20 days since cocooning itself in, and there is that brown coloring on it...but still no moth.

I have 250 silks on their way to me right now, so I can try again. I just dont want to throw little dude out if it is going to make it.

(No pics til I get off work)
Since it has the brown you could try to carefully clip a little hole to help it out. It may still be alive. I clip a little and then use tweezers to pull and push away the silk until there’s a hole.

Hi, the same happened to a few of mine. The way I understand it is they secrete a liquid to help open the cocoon. I saw the liquid stains on the ones that didn't open. Did the other cocoons open? It took mine about 21 days but they were in a cold basement with no heater. Good luck.
I only let 1 cocoon. The rest all got eaten first. Lol

Back
Top Bottom