Silk Chow

AnamCara

Chameleon Enthusiast
Does anyone have any preference between Silkworm Chow and Mulberry Leaves? Is the chow more nutrient-dense? Does it matter to chameleon health?

Also -- how long does the pre-made chow last refrigerated?

Thanks!

Chow as last resort

If you have access to leaves, its the best. Bonus you will have less mold/cleanup, and worms that eat leaves have a more robust immune system.

Chow only lasts 2-3 days tops, but you can make it in ice cube trays if you want to make a six week lifetime batch and then freeze it.

I make chow in a large glass pyrex container and it will keep for up to a month in the fridge. It never lasts that long as we tend to go thru a 1/2lb of dry chow every 1-2 weeks when we have steady silks. If I need less I make a 1/4lb bag vs storing it that long.

Unrefrigerated it will either dry out or mold after 3-4 days.

Leaves are great but if you run out its harder to switch to chow once theyve had the good stuff. Since its fall id start with chow and maybe switch to leaves in spring

I made cubes of chow and froze it, I figured it was much easier than keeping leaves on hand.

I made cubes of chow and froze it, I figured it was much easier than keeping leaves on hand.
I know this thread is a little old but I see you’re active so I’m wondering how you make the chow? Or where do you buy mulberry leaves? I plan on breeding some silks but I just need the food now. If you have any extra advice for breeding I’ll appreciate it too!

Thanks! My silks are coming in the pod from there since the others were sold out, I want to know how to make it though I don’t want to keep ordering and I’ve heard lots of people say they make it but they never say how 😕 so I want to know! Or where to buy mulberry leaves
Almost every silkworm feeder site sells their own (or other’s) chows, like Gulfcoast Silkworms, Rainbow Mealworms (which is by far the easiest mix to make for me), Coastal Silkworms, Mulberry Farms, etc.

I use coastal silkworm powder as well. This is a pretty good deal: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-LB-Powde...886595?hash=item3aa648b783:g:5CsAAOSwOSVdJY10 . I put the cooked chow in plastic 1 cup containers, air tight, and freeze it until I need it. This stuff keeps very well, on my last batch of eggs I used chow that I had in my refrigerator for over 6 months and it was completely fine and the worms grew as if it was fresh. Some may not recommend doing this due to risk of losing worms, but I went for it.

For breeding, out of every batch of silkworm eggs that I hatch I will let 6-8 cocoon into moths so I can have an extra set of eggs on hand. The good part about homegrown eggs is you can refrigerate them for a long time, versus when you buy eggs commercially, you need to hatch them all immediately, unless the seller packages them appropriately to keep them cold.

I make chow in a large glass pyrex container and it will keep for up to a month in the fridge. It never lasts that long as we tend to go thru a 1/2lb of dry chow every 1-2 weeks when we have steady silks. If I need less I make a 1/4lb bag vs storing it that long.

Unrefrigerated it will either dry out or mold after 3-4 days.

Leaves are great but if you run out its harder to switch to chow once theyve had the good stuff. Since its fall id start with chow and maybe switch to leaves in spring
Same here. I make 1/4 lb at a time in pie tin and it goes straight to the refer in ziploc bag where it retains moisture.
I know it stays good for a couple weeks and by then it's gone.

Back
Top Bottom