Signs of sickness

If you didn't buy it yet, DO NOT BUY, STAY AWAY!

If you did, make up an excuse and ask for a refund!!

Trust me, you'll end up paying way more than you would if you were to buy it from Kammerflage or Framschams or other reputable breeder in the 1st place! He will probably be sick and you end up paying more in vet bills or worse, he will die in less than 24 hrs(like my 1st hatchling from them did) and i ended up paying more to get a juvenile because i couldn't get a refund. And he came in bad shape, injured eye, nose and missing 2 dorsal spikes. You can't even see the chameleon you buy from them. That should be a big NO NO, sadly it wasn't for me and ended up paying 500$ for a chameleon i didn't get to see or choose until he arrived at my doorsteps. It is sad that cbreptile is the 1st website to pop-up when looking for chameleons for sale on Google. That was my mistake and stubbornness to create a forums account and research before buying. But hopefully it is not too late for you. 🙏🏼
Thank you! I am so sorry to hear that happened to you! I have not placed my order and do not plan to after hearing this! I am now planning to get my chameleon from FLchams.com! I have heard lots of good things about them and you can see the chameleons you are getting! I wish you the best for your future chameleons! Thank you for helping me out and making sure I don't get a sick chameleon! :)

I have heard a few people say that FL chams have been shipped with coccidia, but perhaps they have fixed the condition?

Do a quick search in the search bar at the top of the page and look up their name.....maybe I can find a thread or 2 to link.
Dont get me wrong. I have heard some good things about them too. I just personally wouldn't buy from them...even tho they are a site sponsor.

I have heard a few people say that FL chams have been shipped with coccidia, but perhaps they have fixed the condition?

Do a quick search in the search bar at the top of the page and look up their name.....maybe I can find a thread or 2 to link.
Dont get me wrong. I have heard some good things about them too. I just personally wouldn't buy from them...even tho they are a site sponsor.
Ok! Thank you for letting me know! I didn't know it would be so difficult to find a good breeder lol!

Thank you! I am so sorry to hear that happened to you! I have not placed my order and do not plan to after hearing this! I am now planning to get my chameleon from FLchams.com! I have heard lots of good things about them and you can see the chameleons you are getting! I wish you the best for your future chameleons! Thank you for helping me out and making sure I don't get a sick chameleon! :)
Anytime! Im glad it wasn't too late for you to change the breeder. Mine is doing so much better now, thank you! As for flchams, do a little more research, like @AmandaS said too, there are good and bad reviews about them. I personally haven't dealt with them, just what I've read in the past. To be really honest with you, and i mean no disrespect or to sound rude, chameleons are unique creatures! its not just another lizard and you do not want to "cut corners" plus is something you have to care for almost like a baby. People here go crazy hahah, i know i lost it🤣. Take your time and search for the perfect one. And from a reputable breeder that you know you will enjoy and love for the rest of its life. I see you're already getting a lot of info from other threads here, so you're in the right place!! Ohh and welcome to the forums! 😎

I'd suggest checking out the health resources on this site: Chameleon Health | Chameleon Forums
Also the section on Purchasing a Chameleon ;)

A Healthy Chameleon

Review these features and behaviors to help ensure the chameleon you are interested in is healthy.
  • A healthy chameleon should be active in its environment and standing up rather than laying on its perch.
  • The chameleon should be able to move about the cage with good balance without falling or stumbling.
  • The eyes should be full, open at all times and actively looking all around.
  • The arm and leg bones should all be straight, toes should all be intact and the chameleon should have a strong grip.
  • Skin should have vibrant coloration all over the body and all the spines on the back should be present.
  • Patches of shedding skin are normal if present.
  • The tail should be able to grasp branches and curl up smoothly.

An Unhealthy Chameleon

The symptoms below are possible signs of illness. Unhealthy chameleons should not be purchased except by very experienced owners.
  • Sleeping during the day at all.
  • Sunken or swollen eye turrets.
  • Laying on the bottom of the cage.
  • Legs that are bent, curved, appear to have multiple joints or have swellings at the joints.
  • Wrinkly, crusty or dry skin, bumps, cuts or bruises, or patches of abnormal colored skin.
  • Blood at the mouth, swollen jaw, or jaw that doesn't align properly.
  • A tail that cannot curl or is black at the end.
  • Falling off branches, having a weak grip, stumbling or appearing very clumsy.

@Bazelthechameleon To get a healthy chameleon it would more then likely be shipped to you. There are great breeders out there and then there are crappy breeders that send you sick chameleons and refuse to refund your money.

Framschams, Kammerflage, and highlighter chameleons are all good breeders. I also really like TkChameleons but I do not know if he currently has panthers.

@Bazelthechameleon To get a healthy chameleon it would more then likely be shipped to you. There are great breeders out there and then there are crappy breeders that send you sick chameleons and refuse to refund your money.

Framschams, Kammerflage, and highlighter chameleons are all good breeders. I also really like TkChameleons but I do not know if he currently has panthers.
Thank you! We just sent an email to Kammerflage and we are looking into purchasing a panther from them :)

Anytime! Im glad it wasn't too late for you to change the breeder. Mine is doing so much better now, thank you! As for flchams, do a little more research, like @AmandaS said too, there are good and bad reviews about them. I personally haven't dealt with them, just what I've read in the past. To be really honest with you, and i mean no disrespect or to sound rude, chameleons are unique creatures! its not just another lizard and you do not want to "cut corners" plus is something you have to care for almost like a baby. People here go crazy hahah, i know i lost it🤣. Take your time and search for the perfect one. And from a reputable breeder that you know you will enjoy and love for the rest of its life. I see you're already getting a lot of info from other threads here, so you're in the right place!! Ohh and welcome to the forums! 😎
Thank you! I've done some research and looked up different breeders and their reviews. So far the one with the most positive reviews is chameleonsonly.com. So that's the one I'm leaning towards right now. I'm glad to hear your chameleon is doing better! The forums are so welcoming and I'm so happy to have found such a friendly community!

With overnight shipping, i don't think buying local is necessary or a must! Most of us here who want chameleons from reputable breeders will buy out of state because you cannot find good breeders local or at all! if you want local, goodluck with petsmart idk 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't get the hostility. There are many breeders much closer to NY (which is what the OP asked for).

Overnight shipping? From CA to NY? Now? FedEx has a banner at the top of their homepage:
1607961359553.png
Record high volumes of e-commerce orders, COVID 19 closures and weather events may cause delivery delays. Before finalizing your shipment, please confirm that your recipient can receive your package and see our latest service alert updates.
Consider: There are delays due to COVID, compounded with delays due to the Holiday season, compounded with delays due to vaccine delivery, exacerbated by sub-freezing temperatures throughout the northeast and other parts of the country most of this week.

Finding a breeder closer to home makes perfect sense to me under these circumstances, and I don't find anything wrong with it under normal circumstances. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom