Sign of MBD or typical baby behavior?

Nevermind I read the guide and my veiled chameleon cage is actually bioactive already. I have fertilized soil mixed in with the substrate to provide nutrients for the plants. The bark chips in his enclosure are mixed in with that soil. The moss I have in there to hold some humidity and moisture in the substrate to keep water in for the plants. As the guide suggests pests are a bit of a problem, sugar ants LOVE to go underground in his cage and get all the water :)

Obviously my panther chameleon enclosure needs to be brought to that level, just havent added any soil because I don't have any plants. When I add more soil I will also mix in the play sand so it sticks and holds better than my veiled's soil does.

Nevermind I read the guide and my veiled chameleon cage is actually bioactive already. I have fertilized soil mixed in with the substrate to provide nutrients for the plants. The bark chips in his enclosure are mixed in with that soil. The moss I have in there to hold some humidity and moisture in the substrate to keep water in for the plants. As the guide suggests pests are a bit of a problem, sugar ants LOVE to go underground in his cage and get all the water :)
Is it a chemical fertilizer?

My veiled doesn't eat substrate no. The only time he ever does is if he misses a cricket and he's trying to catch it on the ground. My concern is that he would miss and choke on a bark chip or something.

But the chips are mixed in with his soil. Do you think I should use the chips as a drainage layer then use organic potting soil and then a leaf layer with some moss?

Now if you have a recommendation for something better or different or if you can advise why this one I have now wouldn't work, maybe it'd give me more reason to switch it out with whatever you may recommend, but I can't see bacteria buildup being an issue with regular cleaning. Both chameleons I've seen drink from them.
Waterfalls are primarily for our own aesthetic as it’s not natural for chameleons to drink from them. If you are looking for a reliable and well made mechanical gadget that will deliver clean, safe drinking water to your chameleon in a more natural method of drinking, I suggest a Mist King system. Add to that a reverse osmosis system for the water and you’re all set.
https://www.amazon.com/MistKing-Gen...d=1621264152&sprefix=Mist+king,aps,219&sr=8-2
https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Will be buying this, this is what I was looking for originally because this is what the pet store had but I didn't know what it was called or how to find it or even if I'd be able to get it. I'm a bit strapped on cash at the moment so this will be on the 'to buy' list.

I think for now financially the drippers will be more viable and I may be able to manage the costs of the substrate for my panther, early to mid next month I'll probably be able to get that mister in place or at least some more plants in her cage.
Until you get all the substrates together, she should have nothing in the bottom of her cage. Definitely keep us updated on the bioactive soil and her!

Until you get all the substrates together, she should have nothing in the bottom of her cage. Definitely keep us updated on the bioactive soil and her!
E.g., the bottom of my enclosure is screen on top of egg crate. I bought a small portable wet/dry vac to clean up any solids once a week (followed by a spritzing of Nature's Miracle). Liquid runoff falls through the screen to the drain pan below and out into a bucket that gets emptied monthly.

For the plants do you keep them in pots or just leave the roots exposed and place them on the screen?
I have mine in pots.

1621284024082.png

E.g., the bottom of my enclosure is screen on top of egg crate. I bought a small portable wet/dry vac to clean up any solids once a week (followed by a spritzing of Nature's Miracle). Liquid runoff falls through the screen to the drain pan below and out into a bucket that gets emptied monthly.
What screen did you purchase? Having difficulty finding one.

I found the egg crates and plan to pot my plants as well.

Back
Top Bottom