Sick / spasm with video

Devastating day, it was impaction after all. I put so much effort and years experience in this breeding project, and itā€™s the damn outdoor tree I put her in for some natural sun that caused her death. And now Iā€™m the cause of one more dead wild Parsons.

She threw this up this morning, itā€™s a wood chip, There can be stuff that ends up under the tree since itā€™s In ground and not potted. Itā€™s a big 10 foot tall tree.

View attachment 328242

Iā€™m going to be honest with myself and everyone here, I was planning to put one of those green flat carpets on the bottom ā€œjust in caseā€ but figured it wasnā€™t a rush since she had a huge tree all to herself. I was wrong and Murphys Law applied.

just dumbfounded of the odds of all this, the emergency vet scanner being broken, my chameleon vet on vacation, no big belly and she was pooping.

Anyways those are excuses.

Poor little baby, she was so gentle and not afraid of me, ate out of my hands on day one.

Thank you all for the support, lots of good keepers on this forum. Sheā€™s in a better place now. Hereā€™s a picture of her first day here ā¤ RIP

View attachment 328243
Don't beat yourself up. The chip may not have been the actual cause. She may have had intestinal parasites or a bacterial problem in the stomach that she came to you with, and was trying to find things to eat to ease this. Sort of like cats eating grass to make themselves throw up, other animals developing pica to try to self-medicate illness or missing nutrients. This seems more likely to me since she had to descend a long way to seek this out; and she would have managed to find something in that cage to do this carpet or not.
Not that is makes things any easier for you, but now all of us who have followed her case and symptoms will know to suspect this if we see that sort of behavior.
If she had either of the above problems she would have died in the wild as well, probably sooner than in your care, so try to let go of the guilty feelings.

Devastating day, it was impaction after all. I put so much effort and years experience in this breeding project, and itā€™s the damn outdoor tree I put her in for some natural sun that caused her death. And now Iā€™m the cause of one more dead wild Parsons.

She threw this up this morning, itā€™s a wood chip, There can be stuff that ends up under the tree since itā€™s In ground and not potted. Itā€™s a big 10 foot tall tree.

View attachment 328242

Iā€™m going to be honest with myself and everyone here, I was planning to put one of those green flat carpets on the bottom ā€œjust in caseā€ but figured it wasnā€™t a rush since she had a huge tree all to herself. I was wrong and Murphys Law applied.

just dumbfounded of the odds of all this, the emergency vet scanner being broken, my chameleon vet on vacation, no big belly and she was pooping.

Anyways those are excuses.

Poor little baby, she was so gentle and not afraid of me, ate out of my hands on day one.

Thank you all for the support, lots of good keepers on this forum. Sheā€™s in a better place now. Hereā€™s a picture of her first day here ā¤ RIP

View attachment 328243
Honestly you did everything right! I am so sorry for your loss.

Hello everyone, it's been a year and a half since I last posted here. The death of this Parsons almost drove me away from the hobby. it didn't, but coincidentally, at the same time, I had difficulties with my business (apparently, workers vanished after COVID here in Canada šŸ¤·) and had to work 7 days a week!

I've been wanting to update this page for a long time but just kept pushing it back. This project was supposed to be my dream, a culmination of years of reptile keeping. A heavy investment of time and money turned out to be a big kick in the face, but just like with my business, setbacks happen and they always serve a reason down the line.

So, let's continue where we left off. My timeline will probably be off a little.

Impaction was not the reason; the vet said the piece was too small for the size of the animal. And The male was showing the same symptoms; going blind and running away from Ā« nothing Ā». Starting to think it had to do with the outdoor cage, I live near a cornfield and they do use pesticides. Something was going on with the brain and eyes.

this time I did not follow the vet's orders and followed suggestions on this thread From long-term chameleons keeper, I don't suggest others do this, but I had just dropped over 1k to save the female with no results, not even a slight rebound. I went with Action Jackson's and Kinyonga's opinions. Baytril and bug juice.

I did the Baytril treatment (forgot how long it was) and fed every second day with fresh bug juice...

I did the bug juice for 3 months, offering him food before to see if he would go for it. Yup, for over 3 months, I yanked his chin down to force him the bug juice; at some point, he got the idea and just went for the syringe.

And then one day, boom, he went for a cricket. I slowly built him back up for the following months. His vision was messed up, and he would miss his prey, his eyes would move in a weird way, I can only describe it as "clicking," he would target something, and the turrets would "click" back to the middle position instantly against his will. Hard to explain, and I wasn't able to get it on video.

So how did this all end up for our little friend?

He is now a 2-pound behemoth, yep, 900 grams. Our months together getting him healthy again bonded us; he walks up to me, I can take him out of the cage, and he will eat while perched on me, this guy is WC!!

His vision is back, and he is just great. I also received a new female; maybe he will have a new girlfriend! Thanks again for all the help, I will try and be around more and help others in areas I can.

Here he is:

IMG_2497.jpeg

Amazing story! I hope you get many more years with that big handsome guy! Iā€™ve only been on the forum a year or 2 so Welcome back!!! Sorry about all youā€™ve been through, sending positive vibes itā€™s uphill from here!!!šŸ˜
Heā€™s a gorgeous boy and lucky to have you for his keeper.

HOLY SMOKES, what a journey you went on, I'm SO happy that you updated the thread and I love that he bounced back too <3 I wasn't around for this thread, but having them updated is huge for people researching and trying to find things with their chameleon. Can't wait to see more of him when you get time :)

Hello everyone, it's been a year and a half since I last posted here. The death of this Parsons almost drove me away from the hobby. it didn't, but coincidentally, at the same time, I had difficulties with my business (apparently, workers vanished after COVID here in Canada šŸ¤·) and had to work 7 days a week!

I've been wanting to update this page for a long time but just kept pushing it back. This project was supposed to be my dream, a culmination of years of reptile keeping. A heavy investment of time and money turned out to be a big kick in the face, but just like with my business, setbacks happen and they always serve a reason down the line.

So, let's continue where we left off. My timeline will probably be off a little.

Impaction was not the reason; the vet said the piece was too small for the size of the animal. And The male was showing the same symptoms; going blind and running away from Ā« nothing Ā». Starting to think it had to do with the outdoor cage, I live near a cornfield and they do use pesticides. Something was going on with the brain and eyes.

this time I did not follow the vet's orders and followed suggestions on this thread From long-term chameleons keeper, I don't suggest others do this, but I had just dropped over 1k to save the female with no results, not even a slight rebound. I went with Action Jackson's and Kinyonga's opinions. Baytril and bug juice.

I did the Baytril treatment (forgot how long it was) and fed every second day with fresh bug juice...

I did the bug juice for 3 months, offering him food before to see if he would go for it. Yup, for over 3 months, I yanked his chin down to force him the bug juice; at some point, he got the idea and just went for the syringe.

And then one day, boom, he went for a cricket. I slowly built him back up for the following months. His vision was messed up, and he would miss his prey, his eyes would move in a weird way, I can only describe it as "clicking," he would target something, and the turrets would "click" back to the middle position instantly against his will. Hard to explain, and I wasn't able to get it on video.

So how did this all end up for our little friend?

He is now a 2-pound behemoth, yep, 900 grams. Our months together getting him healthy again bonded us; he walks up to me, I can take him out of the cage, and he will eat while perched on me, this guy is WC!!

His vision is back, and he is just great. I also received a new female; maybe he will have a new girlfriend! Thanks again for all the help, I will try and be around more and help others in areas I can.

Here he is:

View attachment 351128

This is one of my favorite stories ever! Amazing, inspiring, touching.

A great example of how chameleons do things in their "own time" and how much patience they really do require. And you have a magnificent reward sitting on that scale. Can't say enough good things and send more wishes for future success!!

This is incredible! I'll have to go back and read this thread (I came here just over a year ago so missed it by THIS MUCH) but it is so wonderful to see such an amazing recovery story. Thank you for sharing. What a HUGE BOY you have! Parsons are amazing!

I just love that your beautiful big guy recovered so nicely. While you can attribute your success to the Baytril, bug juice or even your instinct, it was pure love that saved him. Three months is a long time to ā€˜forceā€™ feed and not lose hope. Iā€™m certain there were lots of doubts and even more tears involved, but you stayed the course. You deserve more credit than I can express. šŸ’— šŸ’— šŸ’—
Btw, I absolutely love the drawing of your guy in the background. That is worthy of being framed.

I just love that your beautiful big guy recovered so nicely. While you can attribute your success to the Baytril, bug juice or even your instinct, it was pure love that saved him. Three months is a long time to ā€˜forceā€™ feed and not lose hope. Iā€™m certain there were lots of doubts and even more tears involved, but you stayed the course. You deserve more credit than I can express. šŸ’— šŸ’— šŸ’—
Btw, I absolutely love the drawing of your guy in the background. That is worthy of being framed.
My kids, nephews/nieces are fascinated with my chameleon room. I have chameleon sketches popping up on every wall šŸ™‚

Back
Top Bottom