Sick Panther Chameleon

Flakosavage

i bought this boy about 4 days ago,he has MBD,DOESNT USE HIS TONGUE TO EAT DOESNT DRINK WATER AND EATS ABOUT 4 CRICKETS A DAY he is also full grown.... the guy i bought him off of must have been a straight fcking dumbass. some one help me with ionfo on what i should do to treat him please!

im sorry to hear he's doing so poorly!
if he has MBD he needs to go to the vet to get some liquid calcium in him to start rebuilding the lacking calcium in order for him to get better! the vet may give him a shot of liquid calcium and give you liquid calcium drops to give him. also to see the extent of the damage and if he has any other issue going on. here is a link to a site where you can search for reptile vets by country and state, http://www.arav.org/find-a-vet/

after the vet visit, there are some things you can do to try to get him healthier. you cant fix the damage already done but you can help prevent further damage. a healthy diet with proper calcium and gutloading is very important. UVB exposure, especially non filtered, real sunlight is essential. if the weather is good enough, he needs to be soaking up real sun outside. a proper uvb light is also essential. i recommend a reptisun 10.0 for him. most UVB bulbs stop putting out UVB after 6 months so it has to be changed at least every 6 months.

i also recommend if he is in a cage with lots of tall climbing paths, to reduce those so he isnt as far off the ground as he sounds weak. put a towel in the bottom of the cage to cushion a fall should it happen.

here is a link to a thread on MBD, how it happens, and how to fix it. there is a ton of great info on there!! https://www.chameleonforums.com/wha...ase-mbd-looks-like-how-happens-how-fix-95071/

its very important to get him to the vet as soon as you can as he sounds like he needs all the help he can get. poor fella!!! he will need liquid calcium to start getting better. please keep us updated on whats going on with him and i hope for the best for him!!

Last edited:
ohh okay thanks lol

Your Chameleon - red ambilobe panther chameleon

Handling - just got him

Feeding - 4 to five crickets a day!he wont eat more so i am trying pinkys

Supplements - idk i am trying to clean his system out becouse the guy i bought him off was overdosing him i believe

Watering -he doesnt drink,the preveous owner only misted him

Fecal Description - bright colors,never tested for parasites

History -

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen,about 48 inches tall,28 wide i would say

Lighting - i have a basking bulb idk what kind,night bulb and a uvb light

Temperature - about 80 degrees depending on the height he has climbed

Humidity - i mist him about every hour with a misting machine

Plants - not sure but i am going to get a ficus soon

Placement - next to my bed and very low traffic

Location - california-sandiego-east county

okay!thanks alot ima do that becouse i bet he is so dehydrated!i dip the crickets in water to get liquid in his body and trick him with eating apples. vey helpful information

Panthers wont really eat apples.

Do you know what the other owner was supplementing with and how often>

Chams shoul only be misted, they wnt drink standing water.

Pictures would really help.

His basking temp shoul dbe around 88+.
No night bulb. they need darkness to sleep.

what is bright colored poop? we need actual colors. Is the urate white?

Since you are in cali, can you get him outside? UVB from the sun is great for sickly chams.

or you can use a dripper. I would not get into the habit of feeding pinkies either. They have too much protein which is thought to be a leading cause of gout. Post some pics so we can see what you are dealing with here.

I know one way to get my panther to drink a bunch is putting him in the shower...some people put the whole plant in there, but I put a shower curtain rod in the middle of the shower and hang a vine in a U shape. I make sure the water is warm to get it nice and humid, but not too hot. Also, I make sure the water isn't directly hitting him, it just runs down the vine. He drinks as soon as I put him on the vine. It's a great way to get him hydrated and he loves it. It's a battle to get him off the vine and back in his cage :) If you decide to try it, just be careful, you have to watch them the whole time they are in there. It's also a good way for them to clean their eyes. I usually leave the water on for about 10 minutes to get it nice and steamy and then I turn it off and he drinks what's on his vine.

That's his poop lol

It's real MUCUSY , LIKE A YELLOW-ish COLOR

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 148
Here is a pic

Of his poop idk if its normal please let me know if it is or isn't .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 142
Sometimes they can have a poop like that but if it is consistently like that, then I would say not normal. I have seen a little mucous before. Like I said, if it happens everyday then you might want to get a fecal done. Actually, it probably would be a good idea to get one done anyways. If you cannot get it to a vet right away put in in a Ziploc bag on a wet paper towel and stick in the fridge. The urate sometimes has that little bit of orange before the white part so that is ok too. Can you post a picture of your chameleon?

Sometimes they can have a poop like that but if it is consistently like that, then I would say not normal. I have seen a little mucous before. Like I said, if it happens everyday then you might want to get a fecal done. Actually, it probably would be a good idea to get one done anyways. If you cannot get it to a vet right away put in in a Ziploc bag on a wet paper towel and stick in the fridge. The urate sometimes has that little bit of orange before the white part so that is ok too. Can you post a picture of your chameleon?
you want me to put what in the fridge?? the poop?
his mouth looks like the sticky stuff in his poop . very mucusy??? i posted a few pics..look on the photo contest hes the red one named pedro. or on my profuile i posted pictures also

ill post a picture of his spine also

Because of his MBD and mucus in his mouth it sounds like he is in need of a vet visit ASAP. Mucus in the mouth could be a respiratory infection. It could be anything considering his condition before you rescued him. To give him a good chance a vet can give him calcium shots and whatever else he needs. Thank goodness you are giving him a better life.:)

Back
Top Bottom